Warming up the harp

I have noticed that when I dry my harp with a hair drier after cleaning in warm water, the lower temp setting, it seems to play much better. What is your though on getting the harp warm before playing? It seems to play much better after it is dry and the harp warmer. The response improves, especially the higher notes.

Scott

2 Likes

Hi Scott @scott4

This is because the metal reeds are more flexible when they are warmer.

Where pre-warming is most important is with chromatic harps that have “wind savers” (valves). If these are not brought up to a warmer temperature they begin to stick, making it difficult or even impossible to play them.

This is one of the main problems that tend to scare blues harp players away from chromatic harps. Blues harpists are spoiled & impatient :laughing: They want to simply grab the harp and start wailing with the band! :guitar: :notes:

4 Likes

Slim

Thanks How has life been treating you? I am slowly getting better but controlled bending is the first real challenge I have had to tackle. I wish I could keep my crossover harm in the winter months as it plays so well when warmed up. Sometimes I hold in in my hands until it feels warm but this takes some time. The fast stuff is not my preference so keeping mine warm while playing is a must. It really helps playing the right side of the harp with little effort. My Crossover will play with just a light blow into the holes and no contact is necessary. This is my acid test to determine if its warm enough… The more I play the Crossover the more i like it.

Keep Well and have a Merry Christmas and a great 2024.

Scott

2 Likes

Hi Scott @scott4

That’s really good to hear! Most people seem to love their Crossovers. Mine must have been a “lemon” – but that can happen and I remain open to perhaps trying a new one again some day.

Same for you, Scott! I get to leave the hospital tomorrow (Friday), 2 weeks after my big operation. I’m feeling well, but must slowly get back to form: muscle tissue takes its time to heal and regain its strength. :notes: Music helps!

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Slim

Sounds like 2024 may well be a much better year for you. I wish you a great new year and your strength returns quickly. I like to walk around the hills and try to play my harp. Its great therapy. keep us posted as I will be thinking about you. 2019 was my trip to hell and back. Lost both parent’s within ten months. I had to accept that this was a part of life and it really tested me. About all I can say is life can be cruel for reasons unknown and let people know they are important to you they are special. Never know if its your last chance. I wrote my mom a letter many years ago thanking her for everything she did from the day she brought me into this world. I was going through some boxes and found the letter as she kept it until she was gone. If I don’t get everything right as a parent its not because no one taught me the things like she did.

Wishing you a Happy/ Healthy New Year and a speedy recovery.

Scott

2 Likes

Hi Scott @scott4

Thank you for the nice words and thoughts! I too wish you all the best for 2024.

Keep that harmonica warm and her reeds will swing with the best of them!

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying the Crossover. I got another one for Christmas as well as a Special 20. I like those two and the Golden Melodies, all for different reasons. Yes, every instrument I play likes a warm up period it seems. Harps are no different.

3 Likes

Howdy Hi There

I hope all is going well for you and your are ready for the stage. I am moving like a box turtle but in the right direction. Wishing you a great 2024.

Scott

2 Likes