Washed my harmonica with my pants!

I knew it would happen eventually. Left in my pocket. Weird thing is the plate screws/nuts fell out. Otherwise I think it survived!

9 Likes

Hello @eric, oh Sch… :open_mouth:. It’s no good, why?!
A harp is small, but not a jaw harp or handkerchief. At least she’s clean now. How’s your washing machine doing? :smiley: Many greetings from Astrid

8 Likes

It happens. Once in a while I fill a pan with warm water and Dawn dish soap and toss some harps in for a cleaning. Rinse with warm water and let 'em dry. No problem. Sometimes I take 'em apart. I think the biggest danger of throwing them in the washer with your pants is pocket lint. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I have since washed several Hohner models of harp. Here are the results:

Special 20 falls apart in the wash
Rocket plays better
Crossover survived the wash needed a bit to dry out but plays just as well

3 Likes

Hey @eric,
I just have a head cinema…! With your Special 20, it hurts just to read!
How can this plastic bodied harp disintegrate when you clean it?
I clean mine, as I’ve said before, occasionally. It is still like new despite regular use.

Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

1 Like

@Eric :rofl:. You can get replacement parts for your Special 20 and salvage her!

2 Likes

I was working at SPAH in Sacramento, California in 2009. I think Seydel had just come out with stainless steel reeds. They’d hired some folks to assist at their tables (possibly spouses of attendees).

There was a sweet older woman, a Mississippian, and possibly an octogenarian. When I asked what was special about the harps she replied sincerely, “Why honey, you can wash these in the dishwasher.” I’ve never heard that attribute as a selling point from anyone else, ever. Tone? Comfort ? Nope, dishwasher safe. For those who regularly launder harmonicas, it’s good to know.

5 Likes

Error

1 Like

Luke

I would imagine Ron or Dennis, the tech Ron recommended will have them. How are you doing? My wife and I went to Maui for our honeymoon many years ago. It was so delightful and we stayed right where the fire came through, It is so sad. It was beautiful, especially that drive to Hana.

Scott4

3 Likes