What Are the Best Places to Learn Country Harmonica That Isn't Focused on Only Charlie McCoy

I’m asking this because even though I’m working on country stuff with my teacher, I feel like there’s plenty more for me to learn on how to play in the genre properly that I can do on my own. I’ve been looking for country harmonica tutorial, but the only things that I come across are blues guys teaching how to play like Charlie McCoy and people saying that playing like him is the only way you’re gonna get jobs in country music.
The style I want to focus on is the more blues oriented sound from players like Terry McMillan, Don Brooks, and Mickey Raphael. But nobody seems to want to help me. They always say that I need to play like McCoy, even though I don’t want to and I find his style boring. Do you know any resources where I could learn my area of focus? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

@KeroroRinChou,

I’m a brand new harmonica player so I may not really have the greatest understanding of what Country Harmonica is but I enjoy watching some of the YouTube videos by a musician/teacher named Ed Hopwood. He seems to play a variety of styles and just looks like he is having fun playing.

James

4 Likes

Hi @KeroroRinChou

Have you checked out the possibility of taking lessons from Rlry Platt? He plays all sorts of styles, but country is included as this recent video demonstrates. You can find his homepage here.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

His lessons are a bit too expensive for my budget.

1 Like

I’d come across his channel the other night, @JamesP , but didn’t realise until just now when I searched for his name and this video came up. I’m just posting the link so that the channel can be found.

2 Likes

I don’t want to play bluegrass, that what McCoy does. Bluegrass and country are NOT the same thing.

@KeroroRinChou,

As I stated I’m a new harmonica player (less than 2months) and was trying to be helpful. I’m just keeping a relaxed open mind throughout my harmonica journey and wanted to share a resource I thought might be useful. I hope you find what you are looking and if and when you do please share. Someone else here or a passer by might find it useful too and get inspired to explore the musicality of this fascinating instrument.

Regards,

James

4 Likes

@Dave_Dunn,

Thanks for posting the link. I have found Mr. Hopwood to be very authentic and engaging in his musicianship. I also find his open mindedness and versatility refreshing. As @Luke has taught me relax, play, and enjoy.

Regards,

~James

3 Likes

I was asking for help because I want to focus more on a style I want to play. Like I said, I’m autistic and I can’t help it if I hyperfixate on things I like. If I focus on something, I want to find things that relate to my goal and not things that are against what I want.

That’s not the sound I’m after. Terry McMillan does that in gospel. I’m after his country sound.

Thank KeroroRin,

Pentatonic scale, bend from minor to major. More blues? Then use the minor 7th. With those notes you won’t have to listen to anyone. It will be coming from “you.” And when it’s coming more from you, you are more connected to it at every level, and that’s where the joy is hidden. - Corky

3 Likes

There’s a specific set of notes that he uses for songs. The full sequence of notes are this:
1B 1D’ 1D 2B 2D" 2D 3D" 3D’ 3D 4B 4D’ 4D 5B 5D 6B 6D’ 6D 7D 8B 9B’ 9B 10B" 10B
Any song he plays in uses any combination of these sequence of notes in any order.

Go on YouTube and find what you want, many styles, many great harp players. Aiden & Evelyn, a duo, play a fantastic version of Bruno Mars “Just The Way You Are” and also find Buddy Greene, Indirara Sfair & Sonny Boy Williamson. Hear it all!

1 Like

That is a brilliant way to play. You have all those notes to choose from. Find your own notes. There’s no rules. If it feels good to you, it is good. Are you able to do those bends? That gives it a more bluesy feel – not to mention a lot of notes to work with… I’m wondering which note he is using for tonal center i.e. which “position.” That can make a big difference. Is tonal center 1B or 2D? 1st or 2nd position or something else.
I’m not an expert in this since I only really play in one position i.e. cross harp or I think it’s called 2nd position. Someone else can pick up from here. I hope I’ve answered some question for you. - Corky

3 Likes

I’ve been playing bends ever since January 2019. I got the bending down just fine.

Beautiful! You have everything you need! And you certainly have the inborn skills to find melodies and phrases that bring you joy.

For me, it’s the feel of the physical maneuverings, the “dance” that is imposed to create the sounds in the first place, that hold so much of that joy. I choose phrases and melodies that “feel good.” But that’s just me.

Sounds like you are in good hands - and your harmonica is in good hands. too :slight_smile: - Corky

3 Likes