What key is: Kaleo - Break My Baby (Am Natural Minor)

Hello all! So I am a new harmonica player, and this song right here is the reason! I am trying to learn to play it, however am having a hard time figuring out a key? G sounds pretty close, but there is a note at the end of the first riff he does (about 0:08 seconds in) that I cannot for the life of me find a way to make with my G harp. It’s pretty cheap, so maybe its a combination of my inexperience and hardware that is making it such a difficult task? Any help or ideas are absolutely welcome.

Please help!

Brodie

2 Likes

Hey Brodie - welcome to the Forum, great tune! Yes, a G harmonica was a great inclination, however he’s actually playing a Natural Minor tuned harmonica in the key of Am. That’s why you can’t get that one note! If this song really inspires you, I recommend purchasing a Lee Oskar Natural Minor harmonica in the key of Am. I think Hohner also has some line that they do the Natural Minor tuning.

Which notes you play on the Natural Minor harmonica will be different, but you will adjust quickly, and then find it’s much easier to play, and you can get your missing note!

Aloha,
Luke

1 Like

You sir, are amazing. I have been trying to figure this out for a few days now. It didn’t even occur to me that they made harmonicas in minor scales, although I had a hunch that it was going to be a different harp than I had access to.

Thanks so much!

1 Like

One more thing, where would you recommend that I purchase one? I am having a hard time finding an online store that carries a natural minor harmonica in Ab… Lee Oskar or otherwise.

Hey Brodie - just to clarify, you are wanting an A minor harmonica, not an Ab minor harmonica.
Like this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LONatMinA--lee-oskar-natural-minor-harmonica-key-of-a

1 Like

Hey Luke,

Just wanted to let you know I just got my new harmonica in the mail, and you were dead on, and it sounds AWESOME! Thanks so much for your help. You’re the man.

2 Likes

Yo Brodie - that’s great news! Thanks for the update. And, yeah, I feel you, the Natural Minor tuned harmonicas have so much vibe, and they work so well in hip-hop, reggae, and cool vibey stuff. I absolutely love Natural Minors.

Here’s a hip hop song that I produced that I played a Natural Minor harmonica solo on. There’s some harp throughout, but the solo starts around 2:40. It’s called Natural High.

Glad you’re having fun jamming, Brodie! My pleasure to help.

Rock on,
Luke

1 Like

Hi Luke or anyone else with some insight! new to the site, new to harp.
I picked up an Am for this, immediately, I notice the note the song starts with seems to be a low blow bend on 4 if this is the right harmonica. Am I missing something?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Aric! Yeah you got it man. He’s doing a -4 -4’ -4 kinda thing. You’re on the path! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Haha. Well you were pretty clear “natural minor” I got one of those dang pentatonic harps. Fun but it was definitely confusing for a minute. Thanks for being here

3 Likes

@Aric oh shoot!! Are you ordering a Natural Minor?

1 Like