What song are you working on?

Hello everyone, I wish you a nice weekend and then a good start into the week.

Yesterday I had the idea that I could finally record a whistle blow train. I remembered what I learned in the BTB lessons. This old locomotive sound on the harp fascinated me from the start.

So I improvised the backround track and the music. The tracks were recorded individually, of course. A little slide, single Tones, a little overdraws and finally my first overblow.

My trusty Hohner Golden Melody Harp in G was at my disposal for everything.
Have fun and thank you for your time!

Groove greetings from Astrid

4 Likes

Great fun. Well done! Woooohoooo to you!

3 Likes

I love the sound and video you put together! :tada: :+1:

3 Likes

HOW LONG? written by me and played on my Db Harp. :notes:

The other day I was practicing my bends on the lower end of the harp and I came up with this melody.

I ran it through Google and find that it sounds a bit like a cupla riffs in the song IRIS by the Goo Goo Dolls, but after checking, confirmed it is different :wink:.

I put words to the melody, and dedicate the song to my handsome Grandguys.

The lyrics are in the description on YouTube in English :us: and Spanish :es:

I’m not much of a tabs person, but worked these up for all y’all.

I’d love to hear any covers :clapper: . I think the song gives lots of room for interpretation gives a nice melody to do some amazing things on the harp.

What do you think? :thinking: :thought_balloon:

HOW LONG?

3 -3 4

So tell me, how long till I see you?
-2 -2 -2 -4 -4’ -4 4 -3 3 2

So tell me, how long till you’re near?
-2 -2 -2 -4 -4’ -4 4 -3 3

So tell me, how long till I’m with you?

I know you want to see me too
-2 -2 -2 -3 -3 3 2 3

I know you want to see me too
-2 -2 -2 -3 -3 3 2 3

So tell me, how long will I be here?

So tell me, how long till I’m there?
-2 -2 -2 -4 -4’ -4 4 -3 3

So tell me, how long till I hold you?

Cuz tomorrow’s none too soon
-2 -2 -2 -3 -3’ 3 2 3

Cuz tomorrow’s none too soon
-2 -2 -2 -3 -3’ 3 2 3

-2 -2 2 3

As I play the song on the piano, I realize that part of the wonder of the harmonica is that we can get certain sounds from it that just aren’t possible on other instruments.

Perhaps this is what attracts so many of us to our pocket rockets which can explore such a great range of sound!

The other day, I started playing as I did when I got my first 008k. I started blowing and drawing chords up and down. Low, slow, easy playing. It’s amazing the sounds that come out. If I close my eyes, I can almost see myself in a church, listening to an organ.

Many here in this forum have commented about how therapeutic playing the harmonica has been in their lives at critical times. Divorce, loss of employment, death, and disease seem to dominate the headlines of many of our lives.

Thank goodness we know about the

MAGIC WONDER OF HARMONICAS!

Happy 2023 to everyone HERE on the forum! :tada: :clinking_glasses: :tada:

Thanks to our Fearless Leader Luke, for providing the backdrop :pray:

4 Likes

Amen, Bobby @HarpinBobbyMcB !

Best regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

DUDE nice bends Blazin’ Bobby! I’M SO PROUD OF YOU!!! Definitely feeling the emotion you put into that. “Chicken skin” as we say in Hawaii (“goose bumps” we called them growing up in California.)

Great words you’ve shared here. We appreciate you.

Rock on proud grandpa!

3 Likes

Gotta like “Chicken Skin”

I can tell you for sure that I get it every time I play this song as I think of the next time I see my beautiful baby boys

I love the harmonica, it’s so expressive!

:notes: :sunglasses:

Congratulations to you on your new addition to the family @Luke :tada: :birthday: :+1:

3 Likes

@HarpinBobbyMcB thank you! Yes, the harmonica is SO EXPRESSIVE!!

3 Likes

Hello!

Awesome to read what everyone is working on!

As for myself, I have been working on some various Old Crow Medicine Show songs. My style of play has always been very inspired by Ketch - so it’s been a wonderful challenge.

I’ve been really enjoying learning the solos from “I hear them all”. It has a lot of fun and expressive elements that inspire me. It has one of those harp parts that really fits the bill for wild and beautiful (I might getting goose bumps thinking about it!).

Anyway, that’s what I’ve been working on. I’ve got a few more OCMS in the works that are on deck as well, between tabulating and learning it’s always a fun process :slight_smile:

Cheers!

5 Likes

It would be wonderful to hear you play!

Sounds like you’re having fun, that’s the most important thing :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I’ll have to do a recording of it here in the near future! Once I do I will definitely update :grin:

4 Likes

I am working on quite a few songs in succession but trying to master Desperado. This is my wife’s favourite so you know the saying, "Happy wife, Happy life " :rofl:. I use “harptabs.com” to get the tabs, as I am lazy but should be creating my own. Also, I love youtube in getting the tabs and enjoying Luke’s “Country roads.”

6 Likes

Ain’t that :point_up_2: the truth :sunglasses:

You been out riding fences on Country Roads? :thinking: :thought_balloon: :notes:

:joy:

Harp on @craiginker

3 Likes

Work Song by Paul Butterfield.

3 Likes

Killer!

I love that sound. I never knew what the song was called, but the melody is familiar.

You get it down on the harp @Dai?

2 Likes

I’m having a go, getting there.

3 Likes

I’m a rookie in all aspects. Just started the Beginner to Boss Course. Lovin’ it!
In addition to the course I also work on Dirty Old Town, Oh, Susanna, Where the Lion Sleeps Tonight, This is your land, When the Saints, and a couple of Swedish songs of Evert Taube - Flickan I Havanna (The Girl in Havanna), SÄ lÀnge skutan kan gÄ (As long as the ship sails). I do this partly because I like many of them, but also to try to be able to isolate notes. Damned difficult - but so, so, so much fun!

My intention is to take the Breakthrough Blues. Course as soon as I have finished this first course What a joy some blowing and drawing is!

9 Likes

Gotta like that!

In my experience, if you can hum, sing, or whistle it half decent, you can play it on the harp once you learn how to isolate notes. Just keep that sucker deep mouthed and relaxed, as @Luke suggests, and you’ll get it.

Here’s :point_down: a list of some of my first songs
 The nursery rhymes are particularly helpful with kids :slight_smile:

Keep at the single notes. Go up and down the harp and notice as the sounds change when you adjust the harp in your mouth as your lips mold around it. You will begin to feel how you start moving from note to note, and then you’re off to the races!

5 Likes

Right on @pakehall glad you’re digging the course thus far. Good advice @HarpinBobbyMcB and I love your song list and your penmanship. Don’t Worry Be Happy is GREAT one! LOVE it. Rock on Boyz

4 Likes

Don’t Worry be Happy should be required playing for us all :joy:

I just noticed now that it snuck onto the Nursery Rhyme list :page_with_curl:

I think at the time I was thinking about : If You’re Happy and You Know It
 :clap:

Many of the other songs I play come from my favorite radio station outta Brazil:

Radio Gold Instrumental

It brings back great memories with no talk :blush: and 24 hour beautiful music :notes: :sunglasses:

5 Likes