What's the Standard Range of Harmonica Keys

Hi, i’m not sure how to word this question so i’ll type slowly. In the normal order of keys would the A harp be considered the lowest and the G highest? What im asking i guess is if i wanted an F or G harp that was below the standard C (i.e., not really shrill) would i buy a Low F or Low G. Would the normal F and G harps be tuned above the standard C?

2 Likes

Hello @chris3 ,

for our harmonicas, “G” is the lowest key and “F” is the highest.
A diatonic “G” harp has a very pleasant sound to the ear, even in the upper notes.
An “F” harp also sounds very good, but is very high, which not everyone likes.

Regards from Astrid

4 Likes

Gotcha, so really i should think of the scale range as going from G to F with the Low F harp being one interval below the standard G and the low G being a whole octave lower down in the bass range?

3 Likes

:pray: , chris3!

Do you know a keyboard?

Please look at it with the note assignment. There is C’, C", C’" going to the right (white keys). Here you will also find the normal notes of a C harp.

If you go to the left on the keyboard you will also find these notes, only in a lower, lower, lower pitch. There are also the so-called low harps.

This is all part of music theory. I also invested time in learning the harp in practice.:wink:

1 Like

Yes i understand music theory but i suspect im not explaining myself very well. I’ll try it another way. So lets assume the C harmonica is equivalent of middle C. I am making the assumption that the standard F harmonica is three intervals ABOVE the C harmonica and is the highest pitched (and probably quite shrill). What i was unsure of is whether the G harmonica was a further interval higher again or whether it was three intervals BELOW the C harmonica and therefore the lowest pitched harmonica in the standard range. That being the case I assume the low F harmonica would be tuned one interval below the G harmonica and all other low key harmonicas descending below that. Am I making sense or should I call the nurse for more meds?

2 Likes

Maybe if you take a look at the Bend It Better Tool page all will be clear? The ‘drop down’ harmonica key selector has all the possibilities listed in order.

6 Likes

I think you are on the right track and yes, Low F is just below G :v:

5 Likes