When You Stop Learning, Your Harp Skills Start Dying

Luke Flourish While Playing His Harmonica

A sentiment of Albert Einstein (who some seem to surmise was a super smart bloke).

Ever know a beginner who’s played for 30 years?
How in the world does that even happen?
They didn’t really play for 30 years.
They actually only played for 1 year.
Just did it 30 times in a row.
Always the same.
Never growing.
Sad.
:cry:

:exclamation: If you aren’t continually learning, chances are you’re getting worse.

And this applies to me too. As we evaluate harmonica resources to invest our money in, or techniques or songs to invest our time in, I always say:

#1 PRIORITY IS TO STAY INSPIRED.

If you’re a perfectionist musician like me then you can relate to the unrelenting sense that you need more practice for your skills to measure up.

If you’re human, then from time to time you’ve surely sensed the struggle of staying motivated? :confused:

One possible solution here is to get a private lesson. That’s what I recently did. I recently bought a Joe Spiers customized harmonica (for $250 :scream_cat: - I wrote about it here) that allows me to play overblows and overdraws.

Many people consider Howard Levy to be the master of this technique, but I find Todd Parrott to be the most soulful player of overblows and overdraws - the player whom I most enjoy listening to use the technique - so I sought him out for lessons, and guess what? I’ve never been more inspired.

:point_right: If you’re a beginner and you haven’t checked out my Beginner to Bosscourse, this may be the perfect solution. It removes the guesswork of “what should I practice next?” And everything naturally builds in small steps so that your progress is foolproof.

Oh, and if you are interested in private lessons with Todd Parrott, he’s incredibly affordable at just $40/hr. You can check him out here.

5 Likes