Which Harp Advice From Will Wilde

5 Likes

Like the Seydel Session Steel. My next harp will be an 1847. Thanks for the video @Dai

6 Likes

Will have you ever tried a solid brass comb? Also have you tried a Horner Rocket?
Cheers,
Robert
London :maple_leaf:

2 Likes

I commented about my love for the Golden Melody Classic, but I got hounded on by an elitist who thinks I should use a Marine Band instead and somebody who thought that I shouldn’t share my opinions because I haven’t been playing for a long time. I know I say this all the time, but the harmonica community hates me for playing Golden Melodies for blues. However, you don’t see them throwing tomatoes at Todd Parrott when he plays blues on them

5 Likes

Hello @KeroroRinChou,
why not, I do that too… :woman_shrugging::rofl:.
I always say to myself with (such people): “Let them talk :speaking_head:!”

Constructive criticism is absolutely fine! But in your case it is discriminatory overall, which is absolutely not possible!

If we all liked the same style of music, it would be very boring. We would be cloned! Exactly the variety makes the special as with all things!

You have found your right path for the harp. Go ahead and don’t let these guys get you down!

Best Regards from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

4 Likes

I hope that wasn’t on this forum …

Does it really matter? Play YOUR sound. Let them beat their heads against the wall.

4 Likes

It was on that Youtube video. I made a comment about how I love my Golden Melodies for blues and a blues elitist told me that I should use a Marine Band instead. He uses vintage Marine Bands tuned in Just Intonation, thinks they sound better for blues while Golden Melody chords sound terrible, and thinks that I should use them because it was what all the old guys used. I asked him if he could provide evidence for the bull he spat out and he says he can’t and that I play better than him. His name’s George Royster, he is a massive troll and is constantly putting me down

5 Likes

He’s correct when he say’s the marine bands chords are better tuned to playing chords. Yes the marine band has had, it’s tuning changed over the years. It’s not the same tuning as used by Little Walter, Sonny Boy etc.

After saying that nothing wrong with using a Golden Melody for blues. Carlos Del Junco, Todd Parrot do, so do many others. You go for it. Most of the Chinese harps are tuned to equal temperament as is the Golden Melody. Plenty of harp players using the East top harps for blues.

Golden Melody;
the tabs are in the description on YouTube.

5 Likes

WOW!!! What a gorgeous ballad from Carlos Del Junco and Eric. St. Laurent, @Dai thank you so much for sharing this. Made my day.

Yeah @KeroroRinChou Rachelle Plas also plays some mean blues on the GM! Haters always gonna hate! Just more fuel for the musical fire. :wink::notes::fire:

4 Likes

I think she now plays the GMP (or what my friend Todd once called it, the Darth Vader model (it’s a long story)). I’ve never tried one but I’ve heard they’re terrible from regular Golden Melody players (sans Rachelle)

3 Likes
Summary

This text will be hidden

1 Like

@KeroroRinChou I’ve always believed the right instrument was the one that inpires you to play ::

Having seen years of internet guitarist flame wars (mostly pointless and frequently ill informed) I’m equal parts deflated and comforted to know it happens in harmonica-land as well. This forum seems to discourage trolling and flaming which can only be a good thing, especially for beginners.

5 Likes

I have never liked the Golden Melody, but who am I to tell someone what’s best for them? Besides, I usually play a Blues Harp and no one seems to like them either.

3 Likes

I own a Hohner Blues Harp myself. It’s a great harmonica, but the comb is the only thing I don’t like about it. It might not be the “best” wooden combed harp out there, but it’s a pretty good one

4 Likes

I get alot of my harmonicas from a guy on eBay called albertharp. He modifies harps by making them leak less air, fine-tuning the reeds and smoothing out the holes, then he seals the wood and sanitizes everything. He can also make cool hybrids, like the Blues Harp with a plastic comb. Prices are commenserate with those of a new harmonica, plus you get a cool, funky harp pouch.

3 Likes

Hello @KeroroRinChou,
my first two harps in the keys of C and G are also Hohner Blues Harps.
I bought this because I didn’t know any better! As for the comb, I agree with you! At times I hated them because I had a lot of trouble playing them clean. Today I know, however, that it wasn’t the two blues harps that were the problem, it was me! Ok, the G-Harp had a production defect and was exchanged.
In the meantime I have got to know other models and manufacturers and have overcome the typical beginner problems. In the meantime I have adjusted the interior of the two “oldtimers” a bit and now I really enjoy them.
In my collection today there are various manufacturers that cover all keys. I can’t and don’t want to name a favourite, because I don’t commit myself to a genre and choose the right harp accordingly.

Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

4 Likes

Have you got a link to Albert, Keef

3 Likes

No link, but here’s one of his eBay listings, check “Seller’s Other Items”

4 Likes

I think this is the same guy.
https://albertharp.com/

4 Likes

Thanks Dai, I needed the link myself!

3 Likes