Wireless harmonica rig - Kohan Mike

What prompted me to join the forum is a new harmonica mic I bought to play wirelessly. I’ve been using a Shaker Mad-Cat for a few years with the long permanent 1/4" cable, but in the last couple years I’ve been going wireless for all my equipment.

For my bass uke I got Lekato 5.8GHz wireless pods, for my Shure gooseneck condenser mics it’s Xvive 2.4GHz phantom power wireless pods, a battery powered Zoom R16 digital mixer/recorder, and a small power bank for my amps.

I looked up wireless harmonica mics, but what I found was not convenient or compact enough. I then found a Shaker Dynamic XLR mic on sale at Guitar Center online for $87 and ordered it because I already had Joyo 2.4 GHz XLR wireless dynamic pods. When the mic arrived yesterday, I hooked it up and it worked perfectly, only 6.5" long. I also added a Velcro loop for my fingers to hold it better.

5 Likes

I guess using a wireless mic is not an interesting enough subject to warrant any replies.

1 Like

I get the impression that there aren’t a ton of members on this forum yet.

I use a Shure bullet with a guitar cable wired right into it. I cut one end off, stuck it through the hole where the stand is supposed to mount, and tied a knot on the inside to hold it in place. Unfortunately this creates a stress concentration point right where the cable enters the shell, so I have to cut the end off the cable and shorten it every year or so. (Probably more often if my band had more gigs)

This flaw is a bummer, but for me it’s not as bad as drilling another hole in the shell. I’ve thought a lot about using a wireless connection, but then I’d have to charge the batteries, which is why I haven’t done it yet. I’d hate to have a battery die during a gig.

Now that we’re talking about it, how often do you charge your batteries? And how often do you play? How much playing time do you get from one charge? Maybe I should take another look at using a wireless connection.

2 Likes

The Joyo is USB recharge, which I plugin the night before a gig, which for now is only once every two months, and I only play a couple of songs in the 18 song set. A charge lasts hours and hours. I don’t plan on ever using a cable anymore, but I bring my Mad-Cat as a backup.

Xvive has one, and there are others out there. They all have an XLR connector. As I mentioned, I chose the Shaker Dynamic XLR because it’s very compact with an XLR connector in the back. I’ve also seen harmonica mics with a 1/4" outlet, no cable, so an XLR wireless unit would need an female XLR to male 1/4" adapter.

I consider myself a casual harmonica player and don’t care if the mic is not the most ideal, convenience is more important to me.

2 Likes

It looks like a pretty handy rig.

I would consider equipping my bullet with a wireless connector if I could get a 1/4" jack installed in the shell without drilling another hole. Or maybe I should use an Amphenol type screw-on connector. I would want to do it without any flexible parts, so there would be no joints wearing out.

1 Like

Why not get a mic that has a 1/4" outlet already in it. I saw a Bulletini that has one.

2 Likes

I’m a connoisseur of the classic 1950s sound, created by an old fashioned microphone plugged into a tube amp. In pursuit of that sound I’ve picked through piles of Shure controlled magnetic microphone transducers and even designed my own amp.

Most of the newer microphones don’t have the sound I’m looking for.

2 Likes

@anon35051871 love the post here!

I hadn’t been aware of the Joyo 2.4 GHz XLR wireless dynamic pods. So those are working reliably for you on gigs?

I use these Boss ones:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WL20--boss-wl-20-digital-wireless-guitar-system-with-cable-tone-simulation

I bought mine new, but you can get 'em used for about $100-$150. I haven’t had a problem. Same thing, charges with a micro USB. Looks like mine are a bit bigger and bulkier but small enough they’ve worked well for me. Go for many hours on one charge.

I told my Sweetwater rep “oh I’ve heard these things work great.” He was like “oh no, you need a Sure…” I didn’t want the body pack nonsense. Here’s me using this wireless system on a gig with the Jason Ricci mic which I love the feel and sound of.

4 Likes

I just setup the Joyo with the Shaker mic and only did a test so far, but I’ve used the Joyo with a Samsung dynamic mic for a singer a few times with no issues. I have Lekato 5.8GHz pods with 1/4" ($60) very much like your Boss that I use for my bass uke, I went with the Shaker XLR mic because I had an extra set of Joyo XLR pods and the mic was on sale for $87. I’m nowhere near your level of playing, I just like being untethered.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I’m a beginner and want to start using a mike and SMALL amp to practice at home. Suggestions?
Wes Baldwin

4 Likes

Welcome Wes! If it fits the budget, I’d recommend a Pignose amp and a Jason Ricci mic from Lone Wolf Blues Co. The Hohner HB-52 and the Bulletini are also really nice mics and a great value as well.

3 Likes

Wes. I think you meant to post in introduce yourself, this thread is about using my new mic wireless.

Great question. I wanted to know the same thing.

2 Likes

Very cool

1 Like

I was planning on using my new wireless mic rig this Sunday for rehearsal, but our other bass player cannot make the gig the group is doing in a couple of weeks, so I’m playing bass uke for the next couple of rehearsals and for the gig, which means no harmonica.

2 Likes

But you can use it on the Bass Uke, right?

1 Like