Other than playing listening and recoding what I play any body have the secret to getting great rhythm? Harp players have no music and I learn by doing. Notes are much better but other than what I do and the train sessions is there anything else. Once I defeat this road block things will improve. It seems the best players have it and I am of the opinion there are no short cuts. Got about 20 tunes I play, some good , a few well and others mmmm need help. Single notes are what I have really focused on and am glad it have. That being said a chain is as good as its weakest link and great rhythm is my weal link.
The best rhythm practice I know is @Luke’s Practice THIS Daily (5 minutes) video. I use that exercise regularly, and it really has improved my rhythm and also tone and breathing. The video includes info. on using the metronome properly. Highly recommended!
The answer is using the Metronome. Start with slow tempos and gradually increased them. Get one with a loud and deep thumping sound. A Metronome that. beeps Is not recommended. I recommend the KDM 3 by korg. It has lots of ways to subdivide the beat, change the voice setting, has a good light that blinks, and an easy to handle knob to increase and decrease the tempo. When people start using the Metronome seriously - serious gains in achievement follow. I can’t recommend using a metronome enough.
For a lot of the music I play live, I actually get to do a lot of rhythm harmonica alongside fills and solo. Because I grew up listening to country music, I got to hear so much rhythm harmonica mainly from Terry McMillan and Mickey Raphael. I believe that rhythmic playing and chugging are underrated assets for a harmonica player to have, as I feel that most blues harmonica players learn only train stuff and shuffle chugging and only do that for rhythm. There are obviously other types of drum grooves that we can apply to the harmonica if we take the time to study it.
Other than playing with a metronome, my biggest pieces of advice for learning rhythm is to listen to a lot of percussionists/drummers and try to mimic what they’re doing, and to pay attention to the chord structure and little changes in rhythm to make it more like a groove than just a straight pattern. Despite harmonica players being notorious for hating music theory (even refusing to learn it in the most extreme cases), it can be useful to learn at least a little bit moreso for how certain notes fit into chords. I say this because when I started working with Todd Parrott, he helped me get a lot of the tools for getting rhythm down to make it sound more like a tuned percussion instrument than just blowing two chords in and out at random. I actually have a chord chart from him that depicts the chords that are tied to the Nashville Number System (which was created by harmonica player, Charlie McCoy) alongside the notes that go together with that chord.
For learning rhythmic changes, it’s about having a decent-ish enough ear to know when a rhythm pattern has changed. Particularly with a lot of stuff from Terry McMillan as he did a lot of polyrhythmic lines to make it more like a drum groove, which makes sense because he also played drums and percussion in addition to the harmonica. I’m currently learning to play “Crash Course in the Blues”, a song he did with Steve Wariner, and the chugging grooves he did for that are just a masterclass on how awesome rhythm harmonica can be, at least in my book. And thanks to the technology we have now, I can isolate Terry’s harmonica using MVSEP to get a clearer picture of how these grooves are played. I might have to send a sample some time soon to showcase this.
I usually begin with single note practice going from 1 to 10 blowing then back down drawing. I put a harp bending app on so I can make sure that I’m hitting the correct note. After that I practice the scale that Luke showed on his video lesson. Then it’s on to practice a song or three lol.
David Thanks I do use one. I am referring to playing a tune that has variation in rhythm and how long a given note is held, when a note or two need a bit more volume etc. I practice the train, especially a gradual decrease in speed with out any issues. It seems unless I know a song very well and it has lyrics getting the rhythm exactly right is tough and time.
I back track a tune until I play right over it i.e. my notes are played a little louder and when right the notes on the back track are not heard as mine cover them. I am beginning to believe being able to play rich notes and good rhythm involves practice and more listening. my recordings are not bad but when I heard a great player is strongly suspect to get to that level you have to put your time in, years. I will not ever be that good as I started after retirement. I have about 20 tunes I play a few right and some o k. Basic bending came quick as I can whistle inhaling and have for decades. Never thought dropping a whistle pitch is exactly what I do to bend. Muscle memory was already there. Single notes are fine but its great rhythm that is the one thing I need most to get to the next level. My tech says notes are right but rhythm is a bit slow. Others like my wife who was a great player tell me I play to fast. Tunes without lyrics give me the most trouble. I put at least two hours a day working on various aspects and just completed my third year.
Given my issue and determination the having very good rhythm may well be like being able to play all bends right consistently as its one thing to be able to bend a note but another to play them very well. Would you agree that really good rhythm is just playing bends well, Difficult but attainable but practice, persistence and listening are the key? No short cut.
“Would you agree that really good rhythm is just playing bends well,”
No. Two very separate skills. Playing bends with good pitch and rhythmic timing are not really connected, but yes playing your bends in time just like any other note is important..
Yes I feel they are different but playing every note with good sound and rhythm is a big part of separating a player from the crowd. My rhythm is not that far of but when I listen to a really great player both are very good. It seems bends are not played hard, with force, and unless I hit the note spot on the bend will not be good.
Music theory is not my a strong point as three years ago a sheet of music was a different language. Its getting the slower tunes played exactly right that I have worked on and it has helped. Ant mistake shows up. One tune I can play is Country Road. The closer I got the more the little mistakes showed. I listened to the songs countless times to see which notes have to be help a bit longer and some played with a bit more breath. I learned the Lyrics and it seems to really help. I do feel bends and great rhythm played correctly are similar in that it takes a long time and effort to really play them well. To me this is part of entering into the intermediate part of learning to play and play well. If I remember correctly you gave a presentation at SPAH in San Antonio in 2025. You mentioned you can whistle inhaling. I can as well and sure helps me play bends quicker and drop a semitone by contracting the lower part of my throat. I heard a quail in my yard while practicing a tried to replicate his call. I did and. My mouth was shaped exactly like a bend. It occurred to me the muscle memory was already there as I have been doing this for decades. If I remember correctly you mentioned something abut bending with your tongue still flat doing this. I may be mistaken if it was you but do remember your comment about your ability to whistle on the draw. Do you use this technique for quick bends a tune requires? I do but have to be careful not to over cook the bend by going past the sweet spot. on -2 a-3 bends.
I talked about bending while T blocking. This is when we keep the tip of the toungue touching the comb. Because we bend with the very back of the toungue and the throat, the tip can stay touching the harmonica as it has nothing to do with creating the bend.
You definitely want to practice your bending softly as well as loudly. The force of breath has nothing to do with changing the pitch. There is plenty of bad advice out there regarding this. Keep it gentle and use proper breathing preparation before attempting the bend. Make sense?
David Thanks I don’t do much tongue blocker, primarily because the tongue was already being used and the traditional way of drawing back the tongue seemed like a one or other other issue. never thought about bending w/o drawing it back. I was practicing bending while my tongue remained flat today. It works but it seems what ever it is the contracts deep in my throat is more efficient in air pressure change. It seems vert y easy to go through the sweet spot. My practice routine for bends is playing a small lick just with bends to further improve them. When you bend a note do you raise your tongue unless tongue blocking it just bend it with what ever it is that is contracted deep n in the throat. It seems to take place just above the collar bone. A doctor I am not and I hate flu shots almost as much as the flu. Point is my description best I can with very limited knowledge of all the parts inside the breathing path involved. Seems like the things like you just pointed out help me the most.
Excellent glad it helped! The tongue really doesn’t raise, it more lowers in the back of the throat as we bend. That is the back of the tongue. Get me?
For me it’s easier to preserve rhythm when I practice with a loud backing track. But it can be a trap. When at stage i’m too loud in monitors, then I can lose rhythm. So now I got a challenge. Feel rhythm with a quiet backing track.
Or a quieter Metranome click.
Yes I was practicing it today trying to see where it all seems to take place. All I could tell is feels like its further down and the inside of the mouth is not the primary reason. I seems the further down toward the diaphragm I go the easier it is and the breathing and note quality better. I learn by doing and its seems there more I play bending and breathing are further down, closer to the diaphragm. could wrong but with practice these things get easier if I let relax the more the most efficient ways to do things like this take place. I just wish rhythm was easier to get by like other playing on a back track is best for me. I try to stay a bit behind it on right on top of the tune. Thanks and keep well. Scott
@davidkachalon Absolutely agree on using a metronome. @Luke’s video that I mentioned also said that using it properly is highly important to good playing. I hadn’t really used the metronome until that video and started using the advice the video provided. It’s taking time but the practice is starting to pay off.
Thanks for the reminder to keep going with the metronome!
Excellent to hear!
Jason Ricci has a couple of good videos on rhythm. He also has a great video called “Get Good at One Thing.” What he means is to go wild on learning, let’s say, scales until he felt like he had it he would stay on scales until he did, and then he would move on to the next thing he wanted to get good at. I’m not saying smoke crystal meth and lock yourself in a room for days, but I am sure you get the gist of it. For rhythm it’s really hard to learn some people are just born with a good ear and rhythm . Going back on the lessons and counting along with Luke should help. 1 and 2 and 1 and 2 lol
Thanks. Its getting the timing down just right once a tune is in memory. I catch myself shaking my left foot, 1 & 2, but connecting a monotone to harp music is confusing to me. Some tunes I can play right over but others I get a little fast, I purposely choose a couple of slower tunes to see just how far off I am. I get a little behind purposely. Its hold each note for just the right amount of time and playing one a bit higher when necessary. My wife. a flute players, says I am ahead and another good player says sometimes I am a bit slow. Single notes, etc. are not an issue but getting a tune exactly right is another.
Yes, getting good at one thing is good advice. It’s easy to try to do to much and end up not really mastering any techniques.
For straight 8ths stuff gotta understand this:
For swing stuff gotta understand this:
And as with so many things in life, accountability is the key to success:
Hope that helps. Rock on! ![]()