Deep relaxed mouth position and semi-pucker technique pushes harmonica back

Hi there,

The semi-pucker technique pushes my harmonica back from the deep relaxed mouth position.

I can do clear and, in my opinion, good enough sounding single notes in the middle register with the semi-pucker technique, but I cannot manage to keep the harmonica at the same depth in my mouth such as when I play chords with the deep relaxed mouth position.

Upper lip is still covering the top plate and almost touching my index finger. Bottom lip retracts a little for the semi-pucker, but the curved part of the bottom plate is still touching the inner moist part of the lip. Bottom lip is a little tenser because of the semi-pucker.

Basically, the half-pucker pushes the harmonica back.

Is this something I should be working on before getting to more difficult things? I just do not wish to develop a bad habit which is difficult to correct in the future :sweat_smile:.

Here some pics of my semi-pucker on a Lee Oskar.

upper-lip

bottom-lip

half-pucker

Thank you!
Pietro

3 Likes

Hi @p.alfarano,

I think that your pictures look pretty good. And as long as you are getting a good full tone on your single notes then I don’t see any reason to change anything.

Regards,
– Slim

2 Likes

That looks fantastic @p.alfarano! Perfecto!

The deep upper lip is what it’s all about my friend, which you’re doing perfectly.

That’s why I like to call it the “semi-pucker” technique. Because only the bottom lip should be puckering, while to the top lip should be staying relaxed and deep on the harmonica just like you’re doing.

Rock on my friend!

Aloha,
Luke

2 Likes

Dear @Slim, dear @Luke,

thank you for your feedback! Aye, a good full tone is what I am/will be aiming for.
If it won’t come so easily, especially on the lower register draws… well besides the tons of other things to look at and improve, there will be the semi-pucker, too :slight_smile:.

Have a great time!

2 Likes

Hi @p.alfarano,

I have a suspicion: does it help to relax more your mouth, throat, everything ??? I had a similar problem: it was solved by more relaxation of my tongue during the lower register draws. :thinking:

Regards,
– Slim

3 Likes

Relaxation is the #1 key to mastery in my opinion.

3 Likes