East top harp

hi , i’m nigel from South Wales UK. just bought my first harp. i got this before joining this site. it is a east top free blues harmonica. are these any good.

Hey Welcome! I’m not sure that I’ve played that exact model, but I’ve played East Tops, and they make some good harps! You should be good to go with that for learning all of your beginner techniques! Rock on.

2 Likes

I got a C Easttop T008K and really liked it. I found the deal-of-the-century and got a set of 12 Easttop T008K and a case for about $120US. I like them. They are solidly built and feel heavy and solid in your hand. They play well and are air tight. I have several different harps, all Hohner except for these Easttop. I have both wood and abs combs. I have to say, I think I like the wood comb harps the best, but it is a very close race. The Easttop set is allowing me to pick up whatever harp I need to make a full of myself playing to a backing track regardless of the key of the song.

Don.

5 Likes

Right on Don. Thanks for sharing! I haven’t played one yet, but will keep you posted when I do…

2 Likes

I tried eastop but the metal tasted strange on all of them so I would never use them again I tried everything to get rid of the taste nothing worked

3 Likes

Did you try soaking it in a glass full of Listerine?

No I Havnt tried that bro but I tell ya the way the metal tasted I really am doubtful if Listerine would have done the job I tried peroxide and cleaning them inside and out sorry for late reply I misplaced my harps thank God I have extras lying around been busy at work but always find time to jam lol

1 Like

Hello @Boomer60,
before I really started playing the harmonica, I bought a very inexpensive C-harmonica from the discounter’s offer. It was good for testing whether it was something for me. But the taste of the wrapper was impossible for my mouth area as well.
That’s why I stuck clear, thin adhesive tape on the long edge of the metal where I come into contact during the game (office). It comes in different widths and it still holds up today.
This solution was perfect for me, no more bad taste from the metal and I could still see the numbering of the notes. The sound of the tones is also not affected.
Many greetings from Astrid from Germany

2 Likes

Just curious @AstridHandbikebee63 about the tape and if it made it easier or didn’t make any difference on moving your lips back and forth along the harmonica. My lips get quite dry and I use Chap Stick a lot to help with that.

1 Like

Hello @Butch ,
Lip sticks or petroleum jelly are no problem at all. Depending on the harp, you take a max. 1 cm wide transparent adhesive tape from the office. It’s not too fat. You glue this flush along the edge of the comb, only on the metal, not on the comb. The strip is hygienically easy to clean and if you leave the screws free, you can easily open the harp if necessary. I hope the text is clearly translated into English … You can remove and replace the strip at any time. In addition, this delicate adhesive tape does not leave any residue from the adhesive on the harp. Many greetings from Astrid

2 Likes

Thanks @AstridHandbikebee63 . . . appreciate the reply and it translated just fine ! :+1:

2 Likes

Wow thank you I wish I would have thought of it but like I said I got rid of them for a fraction of what I paid and bought some fenders. Now the other day I set my case down while I checked my mail and walked away forgetting about my harps (doh) so now I’m waiting to by lee Oscars or sydel, and maybe Suzuki folklore not sure any suggestion?

3 Likes

Personally - I like the Lee Oskars and the Hohner SP20’s, Marine Bands, Golden Melodies, Crossovers, but I’m not a big fan of the Seydels, and definitely would steer clear of the Suzuki FolkMasters and the like.

Rock on,
Luke

4 Likes

Thanks bro good to know I always liked marine band I have played special 20 in the past what about tambo? I think that’s the name. Trying to narrow it down. What I plan on is buying a c

2 Likes

Key of c in lee Oscar and special 20 or the tambo and see who u one works the best in still hooked on the polars also but they seem to not last as long

2 Likes

Hi @Boomer60

Unless something has changed, all of my Lee Oskar blues harps have been made by Tombo (their name is even on the harp) since they have been contracted to build them. Lee Oskar basically is cashing in on his name to sell them, which is OK and I have nothing against doing that, as long as the harps are good – and they are indeed good :point_left:

I have no experience with the other harps made by Tombo but I would not buy one just because it might be a little cheaper. By buying a Lee Oskar harp you are giving a great musician recognition and support. Buying direct from Tombo supports some faceless Japanese company … Just my 2 cent opinion.

Regards
– Slim

5 Likes

I concur.

2 Likes

Cool thanks brothers see if I can keep my new ones this time I get so high I set my case down and forget it’s easy to do especially when I have a couple in my pocket lol

5 Likes

Oops! lol

4 Likes

Interesting… I have a complete set of 12 Easttop harps and I’ve never had a problem with a problem taste.

Don.

4 Likes