First video and harp game for you

Hello to you little harp fans :smiley:. This is my first video in life and I dared to play something for you.
Have fun and :shushing_face:, there are little notes just off… :grin:
Best regards from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

16 Likes

This is amazing Astrid!

I love your rendition and now I think I have my next song, I love your rendition of the Godfather.

I think now it’s up to us to follow your lead :joy: :+1:

4 Likes

Hello @HarpinBobbyMcB, you are so good to me. :pray:
First I had to see how the whole thing works with YouTube.
Today without major technology, only recorded with a smartphone. I had to hurry. The neighborhood kids are on summer vacation and my budgies don’t have a button to turn off either… :rofl:
Thank you very much for your inspiration!

It also sounds very good with a Bb harp. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

@AstridHandbikebee63,

Bravo! Someday I’ll be able to play clean notes like you do.

Did you play while reading tabs or by heart? How long did it take you to prepare this particular song?

Thanks for sharing,

James

6 Likes

Bravo, Astrid @AstridHandbikebee63 !! :partying_face: An excellent first video, I must say!! :point_left:

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Yeah I just grew half a meter @Slim. :smiley: Already made me curious, that’s just how I am and soon I’ll be braver…, soon. :rofl:

4 Likes

Hello @JamesP,
big thanks to you too!
Yes, I wrote down and read the tabs. At the moment I have several songs in my head and then I don’t remember everything.
This song came to my mind spontaneously, everything on the fly, so to speak. A friend is in Italy right now :it: and the melody is on my mind. The difficulty here is not the individual tones, but the feeling or the emphasis in the right place.
You will soon be able to isolate the individual tones. It’s like a broken knot, believe me. Relaxation and no pressure is important.

I am currently experiencing that I can find my small advances in bending in the bin. But I admit that I currently spend the summer outdoors doing sports and laziness is punished.
Stay tuned, it will!

Best regards from Astrid

5 Likes

I love this song and have been hammering it out today, but it’s been challenging!

Since I don’t know the whole melody in my head, I have been trying tabs but still can’t get the right rhythm after the first four lines.

What tabs did you use?

I think you said you did your own?

I have found many and is commonly the case, there are many variations, most without bends and one I found with bends playing in third position on Bb.

I find several discrepancies between the tabs.

5 Likes

@HarpinBobbyMcB,
no problem, I’ll post the tabs here later for you.
Unfortunately, I don’t have time now because I have an appointment outside of town.
We’ll read each other later :alarm_clock::clock4: pm German time. :smiley:

2 Likes

Okay @HarpinBobbyMcB,
you don’t have to wait. It’s 7:30 am now, but I do. Have fun and :man_in_lotus_position:! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 - 6 7 - 7 - 6 7 - 6 - 7 - 6 - 5 6 5

5 - 6 7 - 7 - 6 7 - 6 - 7 - 6 - 5 5 - 4

-4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 4 - 5 6 - 6

-6 - 5 - 5 5 5 6 - 6

-6 - 6 6… - 7 - 6… - 5 5…

5 6 5 - 4… - 4 - 5 - 4 5 // Repeat!

I prefer to play it with a G harmonica.
But it also works well with C or Bb harmonica.

4 Likes

That was awesome @AstridHandbikebee63 !

3 Likes

This helps a lot!

You are amazing, thanks :v:

2 Likes

Well done - You sound great! Very nice song choice for harmonica. (Now I feel like I need to post a first song too :blush:)

3 Likes

@HarpinBobbyMcB and @KeithH,
Guys, you’re making me crack up with joy. :blush: I really have tears in my eyes and tingling right now. That’s what I call emotions! Great thanks! Keith, please don’t pressure yourself! There is no competition here and there is no competition! If you want, then do it. If you still need time, take it. :smiley: But it’s fun :shushing_face:. :wink:
Best regards from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

4 Likes

Good for you Astrid! Well Done. Poppo

5 Likes

Here is my version of Godfather x 2.

This time I just recordéd my landscape, so as not to distract with my overly active hands. It’s tough for me to control them sometimes. They just seem to do their own thing :joy:

The first stanza is just doing my best to hit solid single notes, with varying success. I did my best to learn by tabs but couldn’t find any I liked all the way through, so it’s kind of a mish mash of a few versions.

I liked @AstridHandbikebee63 's the best up until here :point_down: where I got lost.

-6 - 5 - 5 5 5 6 - 6

In the end, I mixed and matched a few different versions, so my takes are definitely different from Astrid’ s above.

For the second part, which pretty much repeats the first, I played it more as it sounds in my head when I listen to it, along with a few effects and some Wa Wa for flavor :yum:

After this experience if learning this song by tabs, I am convinced there is an equivalent in music to dyslexia in language. It should be called:

Tablexia

I finally figured out why tabs give me so much trouble, when in theory they should be so easy. In my mind, I believe the negative signs, or down arrows in some tabs, tell my mind the tone goes down :point_down:, but it doesn’t, well at least not in the lower register, though it does in the upper :point_up_2: :blush:

Once I can get the rhythm going in my head, the tabs do help to reinforce what I’m playing, but more important, I have new found respect for people who tab music.

Based on what I have seen, there can be vastly different tabs for the same music. Sometimes there is a note which doesn’t seem right anyway you blow it. When that happens, I just assume it may be a typo or a they had a brain fart at the time, either acceptable excuses for mistaken tabs. More than likely, the tabs are fine and it’s just me playing them with the wrong rhythm.

I’ve learned to use the tabs for beginning points and difficult bridges, where they are usually key (pun intended) for me figuring out what the hell I’m doing on more complex songs.

I’m not able to hit all the notes all the time with or without tabs, yet. But with practice, I get a bit closer each time… :notes::wink:

3 Likes

Very interesting what you said about dyslexia. I’m not dyslexic but cannot tell left from right even if my life depends on it. I can write with both hands. Its was a problem sometimes when I danced and often when driving and taking directions from someone. When I learnt to do racing in sailing I Realised I NEVER got port and starboard confused. I get it instantly every time. My brain sees it clearing simply by using a different word.
Keep messing with TABS until you find something that clicks. Maybe different colours for draw and blow? Maybe italics? Relax your brain and try to visualise how you think of the difference when your choosing to draw or blow. You can circle the draws?
I agree about people posting tabs. Lots of them are wrong. It was very frustrating for me when I started before I found this site trying to play things I couldn’t get because the tabs were actually wrong.
A tip for left and right I learned from a little girl I was teaching to dance is, If you hold up your hands. Keep your fingers together but your thumb out. Looking at the back of your hands. You have it. Your left hand is the L! It was w so simple and is incredibly useful for me. :raised_hand:
It is great to hear you all play. Well done.

5 Likes

Nice @HarpinBobbyMcB,

Thanks for sharing your playing. So much inspiration from you and all the harp players here.

~James

3 Likes

Hello @HarpinBobbyMcB,
I’ve listened to your game five times now. I have to say I like it better and better! The real thing in your version makes me stand on your porch and enjoy the beautiful view and daydream.
As a result, individual false tones are lost. One thing must not be forgotten, every solo is looked at with a :mag_right:, every little thing is heard. Who knows what some wrong notes in a band are covered up because many are playing? :smiley:
You are and will remain our pioneer because you were the first to have the courage to show yourself and inspire us! We have all taken a big step with this.
Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

@Luke do you have to cover your ears with our game or do you see that your lessons are showing the first progress? The good will is definitely there :wink:

4 Likes

Hi @HarpinBobbyMcB

I too found the second part allowed you to play more relaxed and expressively. Well done!

These are some good tips, not only for @HarpinBobbyMcB but for anyone out there who has similar issues with harp tabs. It is a chore to convert tabs into one’s preferred system, but it is well worth the effort.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

5 Likes