First video and harp game for you

Thanks for your replies @toogdog and @Slim

Very good ideas on making tabs more beneficial to me. I especially like the idea of circling the draws and have thought about setting them up on a scale, where they go up and down with the tones, but wait a minute. I think someone has already invented that, it’s called sheet music!!! :laughing:

Giving each step a color would also be interesting. Could go around the circle of fifths as if it were a color wheel, giving each color a tone, allowing for blending them with our bending.

I appreciate the other comments also from others here as to sharing our harp playing with others who are learning. When I think about posting a video here it definitely makes me up my game and concentrate much more than I normally do on trying to get a song just right. Normally, with most songs I learn, I’m content to hammer out the main chorus lines and them just keep repeating them until the neighbors complain.

I liken music a lot to spoken language. There are many ways to say a sentence, and just as many to play a melody. Many of them sound okay, some sound spectacular, and others leave you scratching your head, wondering what the heck happened, even if you got the right notes. What I do know is that when it sounds right in our head, instinctively our mouths can learn to create that sound, and when it’s off, it just sounds bad, this tends to happen quite a lot as we learn, at least in my case.

Most songs I learn just by trying to recreate the sounds. The trouble is usually finding the launching point on the harmonica, but once you do, then all of a sudden it just starts to sound right. I will work more on tabs, because I’m sure it will open an entirely new world to just listening for the changes, playing hit or miss.

Thanks to @AstridHandbikebee63 for taking my challenge and then making her own :wink:

3 Likes

I couldn’t be more proud @AstridHandbikebee63. You’re rendition very much made me think of Italy. And I love that inspired @HarpinBobbyMcB to play it too. I’M LOVING IT! Makes my day.

The more we share our playing with others, the easier it becomes for us to do so, and that is a great thing because the world desperately needs more live music, now more than ever. :notes:

7 Likes

@Luke,
:bowing_woman:, I am honored! You are a gracious teacher. :pray:

3 Likes

I’ve listened to both renditions now, both have a slightly different feel. @AstridHandbikebee63 s’ version is very haunting, whereas @HarpinBobbyMcB has a stronger feel, but evokes a feeling of loneliness.
I like them both! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Now to see if I can play it! :grimacing:

Edit - I looked for a copy of the song, because I didn’t really have the tune in my mind, this one seems like it suits harmonica, if others are interested in learning the song, and need another guide.

4 Likes

@Dave_Dunn,
this video is known to me. But I think it lives in the expression of the instruments used here.

4 Likes

It certainly does @AstridHandbikebee63 , your versions brings it to life!
I wanted a reference with backing instruments, so I could better sing the melody in my head, but some just left me more confused because they had too much backing going on.

4 Likes

That was lovely Astrid. Thank you for sharing it with us. I can tell by your choice of piece that you have the heart of an :innocent:

3 Likes

Hello @stonestone63,
thank you very much, I am very happy! It took a lot of effort for me.
If you like, check out my Youtube channel. You can find a few more of my songs there.

You also have the “63” in your username. For me it is the year of my birth.

Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

My year too. I figured they just it there from my email address. Otherwise it would be plain old Stone as I only have one name. How can I find your YouTube channel. Love to check it out. I was lucky that the forum is part of the deal. I never would have gone looking for one, and even though I’ve just joined I already feel like part of the community here. Didn’t think It would be my thing, but I’ve tripped and fallen on something I’m interested in. It’s amazing :heart_eyes:. Lovin it mate

2 Likes

Oh yes @stonestone63,
you are in good hands here. I have no regrets and the best catch. All relaxed and polite, with valuable tips and a good exchange.
I only started playing the harp in August 2021. Since then there has been a longer break. In the summer I practice and play the harp, but more in the background.
I am pleased that you are interested in playing my harp. On Youtube, type https://youtube.com/channel/UCEXOfYJCY-SWCUe7l9cf-wQ
in the search box at the top. This is how you should come to my channel. Then go to Videos at the top and the playlist will appear. Have fun!

Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Great work Astrid. I love it when the harp sounds like a clarinet, like when you playing the god farther theme :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you for your review @stonestone63! Interesting what you write! I didn’t realize that my harp sounds like a clarinet on the song. Maybe my dad was sitting on my shoulder mentally. He played the clarinet and saxophone very well for decades.
He’s often on my mind as I learn and play a song from his time.

2 Likes

Cool. That’s why it sounds that way, channeling your dad gives it that feel. They never really leave us. Love is a powerful thing :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I used to play sax and clarinet too.until I lost all of my instrument collection in a house fire. Used to play many instruments until then. Could be from hearing dad play it has that feel. When I listened to it, I knew you were playing the harp but I couldn’t see you and it felt and sounded like the liquorice stick except for a few notes. Go check you out. You will see what I mean. Maybe picture a clarinet

1 Like

And remember to hit like and subscribe. Sorry, I just can’t help myself sometimes

1 Like

@stonestone63, a house fire is super bad. Too bad you didn’t get the :saxophone: and clarinet game. I would have liked to have learned :saxophone: earlier. But times were different for girls. I like the trumpet too. Oh yeah, I’ll save it for maybe my next life. I now have my harps for that, which makes up for what I missed. A little late in age, but not too late.

1 Like

Sorry @stonestone63, I don’t quite understand your answer about the subscription. do you have a channel on youtube
Sometimes I don’t quite understand your answers. Somehow it is a “different English” or typical of the country. It’s not up to you, but the translator also translates a bit confused.

I’m a chronic joker. Sorry to confuse you. Nearly everyone you watch on YouTube says to hit like and subscribe, well, most of the ones that I’ve seen. but you can’t because it’s your channel. I struggle to be serious about even the darkest topic. And it’s being translated, to make things worse. I try really hard to watch myself here, I don’t want to be a pain, to offend anyone accidentally. Did you listen to your playing again?

1 Like

We’re still middle aged. Let’s not live like we have an expiration date. I have more regrets about not doing things than I have of things I’ve done. “What’s the point of living if we’re going to die one day”, doesn’t make any sense to me, I won’t die of curiosity. I know our mortality is what makes life so precious, but it’s also why we should just go for it until it’s over. You want to try something, just do it.

1 Like

I’ve just realised that it translates, not interprets. I will be more aware of my phrasing when we speak :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like