Harmonica for the Musically Hopeless (Hopeful) by Jon Gindick

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I will definitely check it out. Do you plan to add intermediate / advanced lessons here at harmonica.com? This format is one of my favorite sites. I am a technology guy so the format and technology do matter

I am practicing hard on Barrets LOA and made it almost through level two. The professor is forcing me to improve my rythym :> I have learned a ton over the last year each instructor (I have done gage, jp, and luke, and now Dave B). I am glad there are so many resources available. Fun stuff!

Thanks Luke!

2 Likes

I would recommend the rewrite at http;//gindick.com or Amazon

Jon gindick

3 Likes

Hello @Jon_Gindick,
nice post on the page about “stage fright”. Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

I am currently trying to figure out how to get on stage. I have a massive venue booked for a ‘go-live’ celebration. Have venue, band and my boss the CEO is a musician and he wants the two of us up on stage. I am an IT guy so not in my nature, but the teams will love it. So, I am desperately searching cool licks and what I can do that is easy that people might be impressed with. **Luke - Help!

1 Like

Hi @eric

I think that rather than trying find cool licks and something that you can do to impress people you should follow your own advice that you posted in a different message today:

I don’t mean to be dismissing you!! On the contrary, your quote is excellent advice and everyone should follow it because by doing that you (and they) will automatically discover and play cool licks and impress listeners! :point_left: :guitar: :musical_note: :saxophone: :musical_keyboard: :notes:

The coolest and most impressive playing is that which comes from following that advice because what you then play is your music, coming from your heart! Listeners who don’t know or follow your advice will then be trying to play like you played – those cool licks you used! The amazing emotion in your playing! :notes:

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Words of wisdom @Slim.

2 Likes

Hey @Eric - no worries bro. All you need to impress people is the -45 trill. If you can bend it a little and get some hand wash in there then you’ll REALLY impress the teams! Check out these licks: Blues Harmonica For Beginners (Even if You Can't Bend) - YouTube.

Let me know how it goes.

Break a leg,
Luke

3 Likes

Luke I re-watched those yesterday and those helped. Re-watching was a good idea because it makes more sense now then the first time. I can pull a good lick from there and plan to choose a song that is more accompaniment or some easy from Tom Petty or the likes of that.

To me the ‘shake’ is like a back flip. I need a good running start then trill then I need to land! lol

Thanks! I appreciate the tips!

This should be interesting learning form me its a large crowd and real band…the CEO and I plan to do a cameo appearance w / band.

3 Likes

@luke
Hey Jon and Luke! Thanks SOOOO much for that short but SWEET video. I lost my new-found bending “expertise” (as bad as it was) a month or more ago, and have been struggling to get it back. My “K” had gotten sloppy, and because I have COPD and lips that get sore and swell up if I practice more than 15 or so minutes I have really been struggling. About 5 minutes of practice while consulting your video helped me IMMENSELY! Thanks to both of you. At 80 years of age I have no expectations that I will ever master this devilishly simple and very difficult instrument, but I really enjoying my playing some of my favorite songs. However a lot of the enjoyment is lost when I go backwards in my ability to play. I am determined to learn how to bend, even if I never master it. Thank You!

3 Likes

Makes me happy! Thanks!

4 Likes

I just bought a 1984 copy, and the Pocket Pal that came with it.
Admittedly, I bought it because it was advertised as a Marine Band, for $20 Australian, but that was just the case the Pocket Pal was in!
The Pocket Pal plays nicely though, and now, it seems like the real value is in the book!
I picked up a few things just flicking through it, now I know that it’s deemed to be such a valuable resource, I’ll be starting at page 1! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

4 Likes

Hi @Dave_Dunn

That book and the Pocket Pal harp were my start with harmonica playing! I loved that Pocket Pal :heart: and wish that I had a new one now! :musical_note:

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Back in the 80s I bought 3 harmonicas and after learning to play Shenandoah and Oh Suzanna in all 3 keys became very frustrated because I couldn’t make those blues sounds. Spotted Jon’s book in a music shop and within 45 minutes of purchasing the book I was making those beautiful blues sounds. Its been over 40 years of playing what I love. Thank you Jon!:sunglasses:

6 Likes

I was going through a box of stuff and found this gem. 1982

5 Likes

I too started with Johns book. It came with a cassette tape and a c harmonica. Lent it to someone and never saw it again. But I recently looked it up and sent a link to a friend who asked how I started because her grandson is interested.

4 Likes

WOW. I just played harp with you and then here you are in the forum. Man. I’m blown away. I wish that I found the forum before you did so that I could have welcomed you. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

@TOMPA123A hey welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here.

2 Likes

Thanks Luke! Busy times here right now but I am squeezing lessons in as I can. Learning a lot too!

3 Likes

:+1: Still have my old copy and cassette. Wish I would have horded a stockpile of Pocket Pals from back in the day.

3 Likes