Introduce Yourself!

Hi
Welcome.

3 Likes

Hello @rhaegar2804 and welcome! You seem to have good skills for the harp. Learning and playing will definitely help you forget your difficult past times. Otherwise, I think you are the first person from Thailand here . Soon we will have every country in the world represented here. Have fun learning the harp and browse the forum here. Regards from Germany from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

4 Likes

Hey all. Glad to be here. Hope I can get some good advice from everyone!

5 Likes

Hello @ewillustration and welcome!

Regards from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

3 Likes

Hey @ewillustration

Welcome to the forum!

You can definitely get advice here … even good advice! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The key is to ask questions, of course. But before simply asking questions, check out our forum and use its Search function to see if your question or issue has already been answered. There is a tremendous collection of tips and answers to typical (and also non-typical) questions just waiting for people to read them.

So take some time to check this place out. I’m sure you will find some good advice – not necessarily from everyone, but … well, you know what I mean. :wink:

4 Likes

Hi everyone, new forum member here. I’ve been playing the harmonica for about a decade now. Recently ramped up my playing again and expanded my collection of harmonicas, mics, effect pedals and amps. And I got back on stage for jam sessions after a long hiatus.

I never stopped playing and have gotten quite proficient on a technical level (tongue blocking, tongue slapping, chords, octaves, flutters, vamping, bends, overblows…) playing on my own and am now mainly working on positions, playing with other musicians, tabbing out songs I like, or adjusting them for the harmonica and music theory.

Lovely to be a part of the forum and thanks for everything you’ve taught me through your videos Luke!

6 Likes

@PapaCurly - thanks for the suggestion. I’ve passed it along to the crew. (NO we don’t call them dolphins in America, lol! I like the term though!)

@DukeSilver I heard an excerpt of people playing that at NAMM one year so spacious and glorious.

@Bender1 - Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it! Glad to hear I’m helping with the learning “bend.” Lol. Good one. :wink:

Hey @Tolly welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here.

@argold57 - As I’ve mentioned before I was still blowing out reeds after having played for 10 or 15 years. Less is definitely more when it comes to pressure! And I’m still guilty of playing too hard sometimes!

@rhaegar2804 - hey welcome to the forum Mark! I can relate very well to you. Very similar experience with my first marriage 1999-2009. Harmonica helped me a lot through my divorce. BTW - just so happens that I re-married a few years later, and we went on our honeymoon in Thailand in 2013 - Koh Samui. Glad the lessons are helping. Rock on!

@ewillustration - welcome to the forum my friend! @Slim took the words right out of my mouth! Rock on guys.

Hey @jago - welcome to the forum so glad to have you hear my friend. Congrats on all of your progress. I’m so happy some of my vids have been helpful to you. Keep on rocking!

3 Likes

Hey, Luke. I’m a rookie to the harp and wanted your recommendation for a training package that will take me over the next 12 months.
Thanks,
Bob

2 Likes

Dolphins - I.T People. We know they’re intelligent, but we can’t understand what they’re trying to tell us. Slightly derogatory but meant in good humor.

5 Likes

That is hilarious @PapaCurly! :smile:

2 Likes

Welcome @Bobhoulihan is this a trick question? I’ve gotta recommend Beginner to Boss! :rofl: Have you considered it?

3 Likes

Wes here.
I’ve been trying to learn how to play the harp for close to a year. I thought it would be easier than it is as it only has 10 holes. But NO!!!
I need to get into a specific practice schedule. Please share a helpful practice routine if you have one.
Glad to be here!
Wes

4 Likes

Hi, My name is John I Live in NY, Long Island, Been playing about 16 years. Want to become better at Blues and improvising.

Also want to invite everyone to the LONG ISLAND HARMONICA ZOOM MEETING
Zoom Meeting Wednesdays 7 PM EST Its FREE all levels of play, you don’t have to play you can just listen

Meeting ID: 336 487 1707

Passcode: lihc

5 Likes

Hi
Name is Ellwood I’m 67 thru out the years i have been given Harmonicas for Christmas presents and Birthday presents. Unfortunately they sat in there boxes. So never to late to learn I’m hoping this will be the course that will inspire me.

7 Likes

Hello everyone, I’m Aaron.

I’ve been a guitar player for a little more than 25 years, a mandolin for about a year, and now I’m heading down the harmonica path! It’s slow going for the moment as I’ve bought the beginner to boss lessons, however, I won’t begin them until Christmas as it was a present to myself!

I’m starting out with a Hohner Special 20 C, but I’ve also got a couple other keys waiting for me under the tree. I’m excited to get this going and I’m looking forward to the new challenge!

6 Likes

Hello @Barber2020,
Welcome to the forum and to the exciting path to learning the harp.

With the Hohner Special 20 you have made a good choice. Be kind to her and don’t practice too hard when you start. Since you already play other instruments, you have already developed a feel for the music and the instruments.

You will find many answers to typical questions for harp beginners. This also has the advantage that you can familiarize yourself with the forum menu. If not, ask your questions here in the forum. In most cases you can be helped.

Best Regards from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

4 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’ve been playing guitar for 20 years or so, but it doesn’t mean anything. I’ve been writing songs, but it means even less. The important thing is I’d love to play harmonica, but I got a bit scared that maybe it’s impossible for me. Why? I don’t know. My mouth could be shaped in a wrong way, my lungs are too weak or who knows what. Don’t ask me, I know nothing.

So I decided to make a test. I bought a decent EastTop 008k harmonica and tried blowing into the holes. I wanted to test one thing: is it even possible to produce few single, clean notes?

It turned out to be extremally difficult. Hey, my mouth could be wrong shape after all. Am I a mutant? I nearly gave up. Then after some relax and more experimenting I found out that rotating the harmonica up would produce a miracle. How? Why? I have no idea. But I knew it was possible.

Then I got scared I would develop bad habbits. So I stopped and bought the Boss course and here I am.

I’m still feeling like I’m trying something impossible here. Still, I love the way Luke plays and the way he teaches. He doesn’t show off. He wants me to show off (well, in few months, when I play like a boos). I love it. That’s the teacher for ya, worth every penny!

On the other hand the most magnificent his harmonica sounds are the more scared I get. So sometimes I almost wish he played badly, because I could relate then.

In all seriousness though, I’m enjoying every minute of the training. I hereby promise my complete lack of faith in my lip abilities will not stop me from happily trying!

So happy blowing, happy drawing, everyone!

Martin from Chesterfield

7 Likes

Hello @UnprofessionalMartin.
Welcome to the Martin forum.
Well, you certainly have a sense of humor!
Your confidence will grow the less your neighbors complain to you about your harp playing :rofl:.
Maybe you live far away from your nearest neighbor, even better.:smiley:
Go out and play in public and your confidence will grow after playing the wrong note countless times in excitement. :woman_shrugging:
Believe in yourself, stay relaxed and patient and have fun with the harp.

Best Regards to Chesterfield by Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Hey I’m a half decent rookie player from London. Anyone else here from the UK?

2 Likes

Hello Dan here, from Vancouver Island BC Canada.Just started to learn harmonica.
At 72 yrs young I am determined. I like Country and some Folk. I have a Few Suzuki Bluesmasters {6}. Look forward to chatting with everyone.

5 Likes