Introduce Yourself!

Diego. You’re lucky you don’t play piano. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Right on Jeff! Yeah, being a musician and music teacher in Hawaii they require you to learn ukulele. :wink:

I’m so glad that you’re having fun and making progress already. Just think how good you’ll be by the end of the long Norwegian winter. :wink:

BTW - couldn’t help but think about the Beatle’s song when @AstridHandbikebee63 was talking about Norwegian wood. :wink:

Rock on,
Luke

2 Likes

When I started to re-learn guitar I decided to get to know my limitations and play enough to enjoy it rather than get frustrated as I had done before. I think I’ll take the same approach with harmonica - of course if I can get anywhere near the standard of Robert Plant or Bruce Springsteen I will be very happy!

2 Likes

Yes, letting go, pursuing joy, and walking away when frustration rears its ugly head will not only make your journey more fun, but (counter-intuitively) it makes it more productive as well! You got this!

You’ll be rocking with the Boss and getting the Led out soon enough!

Aloha,
Luke

3 Likes

Hey Boomer here from Oregon been playing harp off and on since 1973 I heard a harmonica on a commercial and had two get one i received 2 on my 13th birthday both marine band that came with songs to learn it helped me to control my breathing.played open Mike later on and won a couple contests. I really like Paul butterfield, John mayal.and Ricci. I play by ear and learned that way. I spent 6 years in the Marine Corps Now I’m building up my harp collection I bought fenders and also polar harps I think I want to try sydel now fenders work great the polars are spendy and the tune is different then what I’m used too but I manage to rip out some tunes with them. Ok that’s a little about me I also want to mention I dig you guys a lot at harmonica.com like you cool seem like my kind of people

3 Likes

@Boomer60!!! So good to have you hear bro. WOW! That’s really cool to hear about your history with the harp, and I never would have pegged you for a Ricci fan, so you surprised me there! God bless you for your service, my friend.

For anyone who hasn’t seen Boomer’s little rendition of Crawdad Hole, check it out here.

Rock on,
Luke

3 Likes

Hello, I’m Doug from Wisconsin. Been playing for 6 weeks or so and really enjoy it. Hope to learn more here.

6 Likes

Hello @Doug1,
Welcome here to our group. You will have a lot of fun and learn a lot. If you are normally active, you will see good progress in a short period of time. Of course it stops sometimes. Keep calm and keep going, it will also work on more difficult pieces. Try again 1-2 days later and it will work. Staying relaxed is the magic word, on the body and when breathing. I’ve been there myself for about 8 weeks and what didn’t work four weeks ago is no longer a problem.
Greetings from Germany from Astrid :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hey Robert
Hope you’re doing well. Would you know if there are any harmonica workshops or clubs in your neighborhood? I’ve got nothing here, in Montreal.
Thanks

Hey Doug from Wisconsin - my wife’s grandma and uncle live about 45 minutes outside of Milwaukee, and her uncle plays guitar and sings, and I have very fond memories of hanging out around the campfire playing John Prine songs.

Congrats on starting your journey on the harp, and welcome to the forum!

Rock on,
Luke

1 Like

Nothing in Montreal? How is that even possible. Several bars in London area but looking for an open mic.

Cheers

Robert

1 Like

Hello everyone, I am Walter (not Little nor Big) and starting to learn the harmonica through the course I just purchased. I have done some previous playing but very unstructured by looking at youtube videos but decided to take a more structural approach and hope that helps me to progress… I play on a Hohner Special 20.

6 Likes

Hi, my name is DJ. I’m a brand new player, I watched your beginner videos on YouTube and decided to do your course after reading all the great reviews. I have one question though. I saw that the Hohner special 20 is recommended for beginners I bought a Hohner rocker in C for my first harp. Would you say that’s a good purchase?

4 Likes

Hello my name is Boomer I have been self taught since 1973 I myself started off with a marine band I think it doesn’t matter on the special 20 nor the rocket either one is good to start and for beginners the c is the way to go

5 Likes

Hello, I started with a Hohner Blues Harp C and then came the matching G and two other models. The subtleties or preferences for the particular song come to the advancements and preferences. I still like to use my first harp to learn new songs and techniques. You will definitely get along with yours. I wish you a lot of fun.:slightly_smiling_face: Astrid

4 Likes

Hello Walter … Boomer here I believe your in the right place to help you along the way. When I first started after learning old folk songs like ol sue sanna and when the Saints come marching in, I start to play to music I lik e and tried to follow along its called playing by ear it took me about one year before people at a yes to encourage me hope this helps some peace.

4 Likes

Hey DJ - welcome to the forum! Yeah, the Hohner Rocket is a GREAT harp. You’re in great shape.

Rock on,
Luke

3 Likes

Hey Walter not Little or Big, LOL - so great to have you here. Congrats on getting the course. I think you will love it my friend, but definitely keep us posted!

Rock on,
Luke

2 Likes

Boomer, Luke, thanks the same expierence here and I could not progress, I am now in module 2 of the course and I like it and do quite a bit of practising in a more structured approach now and I know that is what was needed for me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Walter best wishes keep on keeping on

2 Likes