Introduce Yourself!

Niiiiice. Can’t wait to hear about it!

Love that quote! Hey Bruce - I know we’ve been interacting in other posts on the forum, but I’m just now reading this one for the first time, so want to give you a long overdue “welcome” and so very glad to have you here.

Rock on,
Luke

2 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: So happy to have you here Tommesa. Another beautiful post here. :pray:t3:

BRO YOU KILLED IT!!! :raised_hands:t3::metal:t3::sunglasses: I just gave you your 2nd like. :wink:
I’m gonna your solo on a different thread!
YESSAH!!! CONGRATS!!!
Aloha,
Luke

1 Like

Hi Toog - here’s a very late “welcome to the forum”! Great to have you here. I agree with you about the connection to the harmonica being very intimate - almost like singing. Great observation. I hope you’re sticking with it!

Aloha,
Luke

1 Like

Hey Nick - I know I’m a lil late here, but just wanted to say WELCOME. Good to have you here. WOW! Mandolin!! One of my favorite instruments. I’ve tried playing a couple times, and it takes a lot of hand strength.

My first instrument was guitar, and as I wrote about recently here, pain in my hand was what drove me to playing the harmonica, and I’m now so grateful for that!

As @slim always points out, prior experience on another instrument is always a huge leg up on your harmonica journey, so you’ve got a jump start. Hope it is going well for you.

Rock on,
Luke

2 Likes

Hey Chris - sorry for the long delay. Wow, that’s so cool that you live on a boat. I’m so glad the course is helping you learn harmonica and appreciate music. How blessed we are to have music. Thanks for the great note, Chris.

Aloha,
Luke

2 Likes

Yes, Toog, believe it my friend. By the end of the course, you are going to ROCK HARD!! :metal:t3::sunglasses::notes: Just keep on trucking…

1 Like

Hey Danny - welcome to the forum. Great to have you here my friend. Wow, I’d never heard that Big Walter Horton song before. So cool. Thanks for sharing that. Thanks for all the kind words as well. Glad the lessons are helping. Keep us posted how it progresses for you.

Aloha,
Luke

1 Like

Hey Luke,
Thanks for your reply!

Once the lessons got to tongue-blocking, it turned out it is easier than lip blocking for me. It took about 3 weeks to re-learn how to bend tongue-blocking, but it worked out for me. Everything for me is now played tongue-block.

I took a month after your Boss course to do some random study on my own. Just now beginning the Breakthrough course, started on May 1.
Will keep you posted on progress.

-Don

3 Likes

Thank you @Luke! A couple things made my decision to choose harmonica.com: 1. You sir, with your upbeat attitude and emphasis on making the course a place for fun. 2. The fact you have a lifetime access to any course purchased. 3. The learn at your own pace design. 4. The graphics of the draw/blow notes on the screen are such a help. 5. Your collection of hats. Here’s anther quote I’ve always loved. By Benjamin Franklin. “Details are but trifles, but trifles make perfection, and perfection is no trifle.”

2 Likes

Oooooh. I’m gonna remember that. My wife has a great quote from Maya Angelou on the importance of style. I’m gonna see if I can dig it up.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your kind words. :pray:t3: Much appreciated.

Rock on,
Luke

2 Likes

Hey All,

I’ll play. Another old geezer here. My interest in harmonica stems originally from my grandfather who would occasionally play his. Mostly old cowboy country stuff which are some of my favorites.

So I over 20 years ago bought a special 20 in C and worked on learning to play it. I ended up with 7 special 20s in different keys. I got to where I could single note, bend and occasionally hit some overblows. I could play several simple songs. Looking back now I probably would likely have been better served by golden melodies an a couple special tunings. Live an learn…

Then I briefly tried mandolin and then bought a guitar actually several and set the harmonicas aside. And now likely retired and after hearing this and a couple others by one of my guitar heros Molly Tuttle I picked up the harp again. I probably have to relearn everything I knew but hope it’s faster this time.

Hearing a harp back in bluegrass immediately took me back to a harmonica hero of mine Mike Stevens and his playing with Jim and Jesse McReynolds playin the grand ole Opry and of course I know Deford Bailey and other country harp players. I’m just really happy to see Molly bringing harp back at a high level and hope she continues to do so.

As for me I just want to get my harp ability back in shape and improved. I’m also trying to figure out how to go from guitar chords to a guitar melody to a harmonica melody with chord embellishments. I’m now trying a relatively simple song chordwise - but who knows if I’ll get anywhere. I hope to at least be able to accompany it with a harp.

Yeah country and bluegrass old more melodic rock flows in my veins. I do like simple blues like sonny terry some delta and piedmont but the hardcore Chicago new York west coast blues is not my cup of tea just like classical isn’t. So I realize I’m likely a fish out of water here but thought I’d give this site a whirl.

I look forward to the discussions…

-Ed-

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Ed @EasyEd !

As long as you want to play harmonica there ain’t no way to be a fish out the water here.

Thanks for the two music links. The second one would be much better with you filling in the song on your Golden Melody!

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey All,

Thank you Astrid!

An thank you Slim! The first line of the song below applies :wink:

I always thought this song would sound good with some harp… Delta blues I think?

On another note I don’t know how many here are familiar with Mike Stevens so here he is…

Enjoy!

-Ed-

4 Likes

Hey Ed - welcome to the forum. So happy to have you here my friend. Wow! “Big Backyard” is such a special song and what a great performance. No, you are not a fish out of water here. I LOVE bluegrass myself!

Rock on my friend,
Luke

2 Likes

Ed - thanks for reminding me about Mike Stevens. I used to own his Bluegrass harmonica book and work from it, maybe like 15 years ago. I’m thinking about maybe picking up another copy of it and checking it out again. Also, I want to go check out more of his playing!

Very grateful for this post Ed. Thanks!

Aloha,
Luke

2 Likes

Hey - I have enrolled on your Beginner to Boss Course today. I have been tinkering with my Hohner Special 20 Progressive in the key of C for the last 4 weeks and know it is the first instrument in my life I really want to play.
I picked up a harmonica I found in the garden at the age of 3 and took a deep draw and an earwig found its way into my mouth! I’ve realised 43 years later I want to be able to master this little beauty and jam, improvise and just get in the groove (if somehow I can remember the tabs that would help too - is there a trick?!?).
In the last 4 weeks I have done some extensive research on courses and played along with youtube videos and have come to the conclusion harmonica.com is the way forward.

Looking forward to the future - thanks all at harmonica.com

6 Likes

Aloha Luke, I’m Josh from the Big Apple. A retired school teacher who has dabbled with various instruments since leaving the classroom and now finally learning the harmonica. First off Luke your teaching methodology is second to none. The easy does it and small stepping stone course of study is the key to progress. The inclusion of historical musical video clips is an open ended instruction that encompasses a universe of possibilities. I am blazing through your course and enjoying every minute. I’m curious to know what Island you are currently on. I lived on Oahu for five years and taught High School Science at several schools while there. I am also a big fan of the Ukulele Underground. I hope to combine the harp and uke together in the future and sing some of the old Donovan, Dylan or Young songs some day. Aloha Nui. Josh

3 Likes

Wow, welcome to the forum! I’m honored that you chose me to be part of your journey, and I’m excited by your passion and goals. An earwig in the mouth ain’t gonna stop you from becoming a harmonica shredder!

Happy to have you here.

Aloha,
Luke

2 Likes