Introduce Yourself!

Hey “Crafty” or is it “Shady” ?!?
You WILL ii Promise…be H A P P Y w/yer LEE OSKAR!!!: = ))>
Have had one for almost a year (1st one) & FANTASTICx10+
The Sound is Sooo ECHOish - Brilliant & Clear!!! Lovin’ IT…
Hope yers turns out as nice as mine…am sure it willl…

You can tell by just looking @ Lee’s Harp that there was
some Real Thought put into the making of it. He’s made
a Harp that is Stunningly Above The Rest of The Pack!

&&& If you haven’t seen LEE OSKAR <Danish/me too> then
yer in for a Great Treat…He IS One of The Very Best & has an
interesting bent in that being European he has a wide variety
of those kind of Old Country Folk Songs etc. His welcoming
Harp Pkg did not cost that much as I recall yet then my
memory cells are starting to spark & think it was over $40.
Please let us know how you enjoy Lee’s brand : = ))> ty!

1 Like

I was just reading a bit about the Prison Song from Graham Nash and they say it is best played on a Minor tuned harmonica. I can seem to get the melody of the song pretty good on most of my harps, but the solos in the song are beyond my ability or harp selection now.

I’d love to hear if you can nail it with a Minor tuned harmonica.

3 Likes

Not a hope in hell! :grin:
My wife and I both enjoyed the song though, I hadn’t come across it before. Thanks!

1 Like

One of @Luke 's best pieces of advice:

LEARN TO PLAY THE HAPPY BIRTHDAY SONG :notes:

It gives us an excellent reason to practice every now and then :wink:

4 Likes

Hi I’m Terry, been noodling around with harps for several years. I play guitar and sing and have always wanted to be able to do some harp stuff while I’m playing. I play in a 4 pc band and have been able to stop playing and the other guitar player would fill in but, I’ve been in a power trio for several years and, pretty much have to keep playing to do any harp stuff. Recently got a harp arm twist and it works ok but, not really adjustable enough. So, going to the harparatus, hoping this will do the trick. I would like to read some posts or get any input from anyone using this system.
Thanks, I’m glad I found this site!

4 Likes

Harmonicators - I love it. Sounds like you were inspired by 2 of my favorite harmonica players: Stevie Wonder and Lee Oskar!

Stevie mostly plays chromatic as you mention Fingertips, but he does play diatonic on Boogie On Reggae Woman as I discuss in this post. I’m not aware of any other songs he plays diatonic on. I have discovered that I can play his solo on “Isn’t She Lovely” on a Lee Oskar Melody Maker key of E though!

Lee Oskar is a great harmonica player, a great person, and has a funny accent, being Danish. So I’m guessing you have a funny accent too? :wink: I also love War!

Welcome to the forum my friend! Glad to have you here.

Aloha,
Luke

4 Likes

Hey Terry - well welcome to the forum my friend. So glad to have you here. Very cool, I had not been aware of the harp arm twist or the harparatus. Please update us when you get the latter.

Instead of responding here, I’m starting a new post on the subject so that people can find it more easily. :ok_hand:t3:

Here it is: Playing Harmonica Hands-Free (Harmonica Holders, Neck, Mic, Mic Stand)

Rock on my friend!

Aloha,
Luke

2 Likes

WAY TO GO RUSTY. :innocent:

Robert
London, Canada

2 Likes

Hey Rusty - welcome to the forum, my friend. Did you get your Marine Band? Like it? Did you get to play Happy Birthday for you daughter?

Aloha,
Lue

2 Likes

Hey man. Yeah I got the Marine Band in C, but I also got a Fender Blues Deville in G. I’m finding the top 3 holes difficult to play on the C, much easier on the G. And yes, I learned Happy Birthday and recorded a video to send to my daughter. She was happy, she didn’t know I’d started playing the harmonica

4 Likes

Hello Foks,

I’m James from Southern California, USA. I’m an adult learner tackling a new challenge by learning a musical instrument for the first time. I was impressed with Luke’s teaching style and vibe so I picked up a Golden Melody harmonica and will be slowly chugging my way from “Beginner to Boss” (I got the course :smile: )

I wish everyone success on their musical journey,

James

5 Likes

Hello @JamesP,
Welcome and an exciting journey into the world of the harmonica.
The Golden Melody is a good choice!
You can play single tones and soulful melodies with it.
Since different genres are to be taught, learned and played here in the course, I recommend that you buy a blues harp that is not too expensive. It won’t be your last harp anyway… :grin:
Having finished the course and still learning, I know that your harp has to endure a lot at the beginning. The Golden Melody is actually too good for that.
These are my experiences and recommendations.
Let’s see what the others write about it. In any case, you will always find contact persons from all over the world here if you have any questions or if you have problems learning.
Greetings to America from Germany
by Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Astrid,

Thanks for the kind welcome and information. I appreciate the advice and I’ll see about getting another less expensive harmonica.

Danke Schön,

James

2 Likes

Hi James @JamesP

Astrid @AstridHandbikebee63 has given you some good advice. :point_left: The Golden Melody is one of my favorite harps but you might do well (if your monetary situation permits) to pick up a Hohner Special 20 or a Hohner Marine Band Deluxe or a Lee Oskar harp because they are good for playing chords (the Golden Melody being ideal for single note melody playing).

If this all sounds too strange, then staying with the Golden Melody is also just fine.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Well done. Maybe you will inspire her!

1 Like

Slim,

One of the reasons I decided on getting the Golden Melody was for the single note playability and (per Luke) its smaller size. As I mentioned this is my first effort at learning a musical instrument and I’ll be going slow and steady as I ease into my journey. I’m not sure what playing style I’ll gravitate towards so I’m just trying to enjoy the exploration and discovery. I’ll follow the Beginner to Boss course and see where that leads me. That being said I will definitely look into getting another harmonica based on what Astrid and you have advised.

Much appreciated,

James

3 Likes

Hi James @JamesP

You are doing everything correctly :point_left: and I did not intend to imply otherwise. In fact, many people do not hear the tuning differences between a Golden Melody and, for example, a Marine Band. But if you happen to be one of those who people who is able to hear the difference (mainly when playing chords) then (and if you decide that chord playing is important for your playing style) you might later consider adding a Marine Band Deluxe or a Hohner Crossover harp to your collection.

For what it is worth, I do notice the difference when playing melodies and prefer the Golden Melody since I really do not play chords that often. When playing chords I am not so able to hear the difference. :roll_eyes: So I guess that could explain my preference for the Golden Melody :thinking:

Regards,

2 Likes

Slim,

I really appreciate your feedback. Every little nugget of wisdom is so helpful as I am just starting out. I’m not very musical and probably don’t hear a tuning difference (at least that I’m aware of at this point). I just like the way single notes sound and how they make me feel. As a beginner (a complete newbie) I decided to just dive in with what felt good. I was unsure if one Harmonica was technically different to play than another. I figured I had to start somewhere, and wherever I started, I would commit to the discipline of learning to play, regardless of what Harmonica I had.

What is your recommendation on using different Harmonicas while learning to play or should I focus on becoming reasonably proficient at one before using multiples? Do you have any advice that you could give me regarding a basic practice schedule? Are there any tips that you don’t mind sharing from your personal experience that you wish you knew about when you first started out?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
James

3 Likes

Hi James @JamesP

My personal tip would be to stick with your current harp until you progress further into the program you have started. Absolute beginners should concentrate on the learning material and techniques that Luke @Luke will be showing/teaching. And the Golden Melody is an excellent harp!

Learning/practice schedules are very individual, so I will not give you any tips there.

As far as what I wish that I knew back when I started … well, basically everything that I now know! Not much help, I admit.

Maybe one thing, though: do not blow or draw too strongly! A good harp can be played and learned to be played using an amazingly light amount of pressure. You can always add more volume later by using an amp. Trying to force anything by simply blowing/drawing harder is like trying to learn to drive by going faster: it is not the way to do it.

Regards,

4 Likes

Slim,

Great tips. I’ll follow the program and drive safely :wink:

Regards,
James

3 Likes