Introduce Yourself!

Hello Everyone! My name is David and I live in Newcastle Australia. After several years of having a couple of harmonica’s in my bed side drawer I decided to learn to play. I have been getting up at 4 am and sneaking into the garage to follow the steps of beginner to boss and I’m really enjoying it. I have two main drivers for learning the harmonica to date. The first is I am a fly fisherman and I have this nostalgic image in my head of sitting on a scenic trout stream relaxing and playing my harmonica. And secondly, for a bit of fun I’ve decided not to tell my wife and when I feel ready I’d like to bust out some awesome tunes while hopefully getting a startled and slightly amazed response. You can see I’m a dreamer but it’s great to get a little bit of me time daily in a stressful world. Luke - Love your open and staged approach to learning. Best David

6 Likes

Hello David I’m Boomer sounds like part of me in your letter love fly fishing as well mouth harp is always fun just keep practicing and within a couple months you’ll be able to see the difference and so will others good thing about it is that it is small enough to carry where ever you go best wishes.

3 Likes

Hi @David.cotterill79
Welcome aboard, i too am from Newcastle Australia and have been playing for approx 9 months. I have done 2 of the 3 harmonica courses on offer and highly recommend them. The idea is to keep at it and not get too emotional about it… take it easy! I’m sure you’ll love it. My wife is from California and her family are mad trout fishing people! Good luck! :grinning:

3 Likes

Hello,

Former guitar player and decided to start playing harmonica after hand surgery. Can’t seem to play guitar like I used to. I am loving the course and love the sound of the harmonica. This is a fun way to learn….my wife even loves to hear me practice!

Greg

5 Likes

Thanks mate!

2 Likes

Thank you Boomer60!

1 Like

More than welcome when I first started I didn’t have internet so I learned the hard way by ear after all these years still learning… peace

2 Likes

Sorry about your luck Greg but I know your gonna love the harp good thing is you already have an edge because you can read music keep on rocking

3 Likes

Wow David, that’s SO COOL!! I’m so excited for your journey and anticipating your wife’s discovery. How fun!

I can relate to the feeling because, as I’ve shared, I’ve spent so many hours sitting in a car in an empty parking lot in the middle of the night, practicing. LOL.

Rock on! And welcome to the forum.

Aloha,
Luke

3 Likes

Wow, Greg. That’s fantastic man. I couldn’t play guitar for years because of Repetitive Stress Syndrome, and harmonica saved me to be able to keep playing music during those years.

Welcome to the forum. How cool that you’re wife is digging your playing!

Rock on,
Luke

2 Likes

Cheers Luke!

3 Likes

Thank you…I am very thankful to have found the harp!

1 Like

I like your story. If I wake up early and want to play I go to my garage as well so i don’t wake up my wife. My garage is a separate building so i can can play away and not bother anyone…kind of like a private little studio! Rock on!

Greg

6 Likes

Hi @greg4875
Thats half the battle, I mean having the wife on your side!
I’ve got to leave the room every time I want to let loose. I’ve got a wife with tinnitus and a dog that howls when I play.

Happy days! :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Haha thanks for sharing! rock on man!!

3 Likes

Hello fellow Harp players… , I grew up around several folks playing Harmonica, I have always loved the sound, Old country and blues mostly. I have played around with Guitar and Banjo, But was given a Harmonica as a retirement gag gift… So now at 59 I’m starting to learn a new instrument. After viewing a bunch of Youtube videos, Luke has become my hero… looking forward to learning more.

8 Likes

Welcome . . . Great little community here!

5 Likes

Hello, I’m Craig from Southwest Arizona, I just purchased the Beginner to Boss course, and have a Lee Oscar C harp on the way. I’m looking forward to starting the course.

Luke, I’m a left-hander and would like to know if I should be reversing hands in your course. I play guitar right handed, and have regretted that decision for a long time. (My right hand is kinda stupid ). :joy:

6 Likes

Hello @kiefernkamm, welcome to us! If you can, start normally on the right side. For health reasons, I can no longer play the guitar with my right hand, but with the harp it works almost without restrictions. With the harp you don’t have to be so fine-motorized on the right. Try, you can still switch. When playing the harp, the mouth, tongue, larynx, breathing and, above all, relaxation are more important. :smiley: Your ears shouldn’t be underestimated either … In any case, I wish you as much fun and progress with the course as we are already able to experience it. Greetings from :de: from Astrid

3 Likes

Welcome aboard agree this is the best sight to learn wish I had internet when I first started 48 yes ago

4 Likes