Introduce Yourself!

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Astrid. My harp should arrive in the next few days, so I am awaiting that before I can begin the actual lessons.

3 Likes

Hello David from a fellow feather flinger… Your stream vision fits around here in the Carolina Mts perfect.

3 Likes

Hi Craig @PineComb,

Don’t even think about it. I too am left-handed and I can say with absolute confidence: it does not matter! :point_left:

BTW I love AZ and have been on many backpacking hikes lasting up to a week in different parts of AZ. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I hope to get back there again as soon as Corona permits safe and easy travel into the USA.

Welcome to the forum and have fun harping,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Welcome aboard PineComb, I’m also left handed, “Port Sider” and don’t believe it makes any difference which hand you use. About the only thing you can possibly do wrong would have your harmonica upside down! :rofl: :sweat_smile: Actually, watching Luke teach/ play, I’m betting he’s left handed also . . .

4 Likes

It’s good to hear from a left-hander Butch. It sounds like I just need to choose whichever “grip” feels the most natural to me.

3 Likes

Hi Slim. It’s good to hear from a fellow lefty that it doesn’t matter which hands I use. My harp came in a couple of days early, so I’ve been able to try holding it with each hand. So far, it feels most natural in my right hand, with the left cupping for the wa-wa sound. (sorry, I’m a guitarist, not a harpist yet)

I’m a day hiker. Usually 4-8 miles a day, 6 days a week. Great exercise. Most of my hikes are in the local foothills with about 1300 ft of altitude gain during the hike. No overnights though. Corona. Was really hoping that would not be an issue this season. Would be nice to get back to normal.

4 Likes

Hello! I am also playing the harp due to an injury that keeps me from playing guitar. Loving the harp and this course! Best wishes to you!

Greg

4 Likes

Hello @greg4875, very good!
This opened a new door for us, although the other one closed. Or is it the famous little light when you think it doesn’t work anymore? :smiley: I like this small instrument and it is much easier to transport than with a :guitar:. We will not be stopped and :metal: on! Best regards back from Astrid

4 Likes

For sure…Nice to be able to put it in your pocket!!

3 Likes

Yup, can’t get more convenient than that! Alot of them even come with soft cases making it even better!

2 Likes

Aw thanks man. Honored to be part of your journey! Congrats on your new adventure. Keep us posted how it goes…

Aloha,
Luke

1 Like

Hey @PineComb welcome to the forum!

Yeah, I’m lefty too, and also play guitar right handed. I see people doing all kinds of weird things with their hands around the harp and sounding great. Most important things to be aware of:

1.) Is there any tension? Posture and alignment are so important, especially if your playing for long periods of time. Does it feel good?

2.) Does it sound good?

If it sounds good and it feels good, then it is good. That’s my 2 cents.

Rock on,
Luke

5 Likes

Thanks Luke. I heard from other left-handers that it isn’t important which hand you hold the harmonica with, just that it’s comfortable to you. So far, for me that is holding the harmonica in my right hand, wah-wah with the left.

Tension is the arch-enemy of musicality. When I started on guitar, I used a “Vulcan Death Grip” on the neck. It took a lot of work to unlearn that. I’m hoping that on harmonica I can learn to feel tension building. Stop. Relax. Start again.

Mele Kalikimaka
Craig

4 Likes

Thank you… and will brag on my accomplishments… LOL
Didn’t get a shoe thrown at me today…

3 Likes

Hello all from Oregon USA read all your messages in originally from New York lived in Arizona hiked the superstitious MT plant if times wow I could tell you a lot of stuff and go on and on …i am right handed been playing harp since 73 I still get stuck on the train its like my harp wants to take off and I can’t keep up with it lol love ya guys rock on

7 Likes

Hi @yetavon Welcome. Having played other instruments before, i’m sure you’ll take to it like a duck to water. Your also in good hands with Luke! :duck:

3 Likes

Hi Luke
I have been a Blues and Rock Drummer for 55 years. Road musician, club player, and session player. As you can probably guess I’m getting pretty old. I can no longer lug all the drums around and setup. I decided to take my Fathers advice after he watched me drag the drums around the country most of my life. He always said I should have learned to play the harmonica! After I hit 60 I started to see his point.
I have been using your videos and having a ball. Just managed to start getting some decent bends after a week of trying. I plan to order your beginners course after Christmas.
Looking forward to carrying a briefcase to the gigs instead of a truck load of cases!
Thanks for you and your teaching style. Great!
Rimshot from Texas

7 Likes

Welcome to the community @Rimshot.

2 Likes

Thanks Butch

2 Likes

Welcome! I too appreciate the small size of the harp! Much easier to transport than a guitar and amp.

4 Likes