Introduce Yourself!

Hello @Maka, really cool, very good! It’s fun for more and you got the first like on Youtube from me. I watched and heard it right through to your slide at the end. :metal: Greetings from :de: from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Nice! No one looked petrified, you all looked (and sounded) like pros.

3 Likes

Garry here, from Iowa. Liking the lessons. I play a little guitar and have a Vets jam every Monday night…Hope to surprise them in about 4 months.

7 Likes

Hello harpers! Hello Luke! My name is Bruce Beecher, I’m a 68-year-old retired Navy veteran. I am thankful I found Luke and harmonica.com. I recently purchased the B2B course and started with a Special 20, and quickly bought a Crossover. Still getting used to both, enjoying both. One reason I’ve picked up the harmonica is to keep the mind sharp. Albert Einstein is quoted as saying “Once you stop learning you start dying.” Another reason is to entertain myself with harmonica riffs and songs I’ve fell in love with through the years, such as “Amazing Grace”, the theme from “The Rockford Files” as played by Tommy Morgan, “Whammer Jammer” by Magic Dick from the J. Giles Band, anything by Greg “Fingers” Taylor when he was with Jimmy Buffett. Recently I discovered Will Wilde (the solo from Freebird nearly stopped my heart), and really just any of the players listed on page 22 of the course booklet. Enough about me, thank you each and everyone here for sharing. Live long and rock on.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Bruce @dm1usnret !!

If you have any questions there are always people around here who can usually give you assistance. Enjoy your Crossover and Special 20.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you Slim!

2 Likes

Hi Slim, I am shopping now…

2 Likes

Hi,
I’m Nita (Toog) from Australia. I have tried to play harmonica for a few years. I had a couple of lessons but didnt get very far. I like it because it feels like singing or making music directly from yourself not from an instrument. I would love to sing but I really cant. I am finding it a challenge but I will not give up. Looking forward to learning lots of new stuff. The course is really well done and moves at a perfect pace. I like the way you can repeat anything you want. Nice to meet you.

3 Likes

Hi Luke
My name is Chris, I live on a boat on the canals around London so good to be able to play with out disturbing anybody, especially at the moment while trying to get a decent tune together.
Really enjoying the learning process with you and you make it fun to learn the Harmonica. It also makes me appreciate music in a more fundamental way.
The lessons are great to follow along with and be able to track back to do more practising, works well for me.
So thanks, All the best Chris

4 Likes

Hi

I’m Nick. I live in the Highlands of Scotland. I’m principally a mandolin player, but recently I’ve been getting the first signs of arthritis in my fretting hand. So learning harmonica is partly an insurance policy for the future, because making music is just so important to me, plus it’s an amazing wee instrument. Hoping to get reasonably competent on it over the next few years, and this course looks like the ideal way to get a solid and fun start. Slainte!

5 Likes

Hi Nick, This course is great. Very relaxing. I’m doing it because I am a frustrated tone deaf singer and this is the closest thing to singing I can do. Hope you enjoy it. Nita

4 Likes

Thanks Nita. I’m loving it. Luke’s emphasis on relaxation and fun is so effective!

1 Like

It is. It takes the pressure off. I do still repeat some lessons hoping to actually get them perfect. If I play without the backing it’s not SO Great. But it is nice to know the aim of each lesson is not to be perfect just to relax. I have stuff going on the requires some DEEP breathing sometimes and the harmonica is perfect. You feel so relaxed when you have played for even 15 minutes. When you play with the backing it’s easy to believe that you are actually ok at it. I’m sure we all will be by the end of the course. I cant get over the great way he teaches without stress.

3 Likes

Greeting ladies, gentlemen and otherwise orientated.
I am Danny from the Netherlands and after listening to La cucaracha/La paloma by Big Walter Horton i decided that i wanted to be able to do that. So i bought myself a Lee Oskar C harp and started checking Youtube. With the first video i saw of Luke i was sold. The way he conveys things and his enthausiasm is amazing. So i got myself the beginner to boss course and am now working towards my goal.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Danny @Danny !!

I’m sure you will find some good tips, advice and assistance (if needed) here on the forum.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hello @Danny,
Welcome from me too, right from “next door” :de:.:grin: You already have a sense of humor, which can be seen in your lyrics and your choice of songs. We are there if you have any questions or if you get stuck or if you discover something very exciting about the harp. Have fun and good luck!
Best regards from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Somehow I missed this. Sorry for late reply! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, and congrats on all of your accomplishments!

You may be well into Breakthrough already, and probably already know that it’s all lip-blocking (if my memory serves me correctly.)

But it IS possible to bend while tongue-blocking - it’s just a lot more awkward and takes more time to master (another reason that I teach lip-blocking first!)

Keep us updated how everything progresses.

Aloha,
Luke

1 Like

You’re just a spring chicken around here. :wink: Are you still going strong with harmonica?

1 Like

Hey Tom - so happy to have you here on the forum. Sorry so late on replying here. That’s cool you’re a bass player. I play bass too.

Rock on,
Luke

1 Like

Hey Jason - happy to have you on here on the forum man. Congrats on taking the plunge. Are you still going strong?

Rock on,
Luke

1 Like