Introduce Yourself!

Hi,all. I’m Tom. I just retired, and was looking for something to do or learn during my first Colorado winter. I’m an old bass player, but I’ve always wanted to learn harmonica, so here I am! I’m looking forward to spending way too much time around here…….

6 Likes

Welcome . . . incredible and helpful group of folks here.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @Java !!

1 Like

Hello Tom, @Java, welcome to us, have fun and be curious about the new hobby. Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

1 Like

Welcome Java. I am new here too and I already can say it is a good place for “spending way too much time.”

4 Likes

Hi all,

Super excited to be here! I bought a harmonica in 2020 when the pandemic first started and planned on playing, well, like the trumpet in grade school, the bass in high school and the acoustic guitar several years ago, I didn’t practice and it collected dust. Fast forward to last month, I picked it up and set a goal. I have been re-watching and practicing along with the 3 free lessons for the last month. I only missed one day even while on vacation in Florida last week. I took the plunge and bought the course today, figuring I committed to 30 days and might as well go all in. Looking forward to being able to jam with all of my musician buddies while sitting around fires this summer and beyond. Here’s to no longer being a Beginner and on my way to being a Boss!

Looking forward to being part of the community.

Jason

7 Likes

Welcome to this terrific harmonica site!

4 Likes

Hi Jason @jsnmacleod !! Welcome to the forum.

You have recognized the path to success: practice, practice and practice some more! :crazy_face: Now it will be much easier since you can carry your harp in your pocket and always have it at hand to … practice some more! :stuck_out_tongue:

Having at least a little background in playing an instrument is already a big advantage that many beginners do not have, so I anticipate that you will be jamming away around the evening fires this summer.

If you have any problems/questions then here is a great place to post them and get some advice/answers.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate it.

2 Likes

Hey Luke and team! This is Lorette from Ontario Canada. Looking at becoming a great harp player and potentially busking.

3 Likes

Hello, I’m Jim Watkins. I’ve been playing chromatic harmonica since I was about age ten, (70 years ago) greatly influenced and inspired by Pete Pedersen, an original member of the Johnny Pulelo Harmonica Rascals and later arranger for Jerry Murad’s Harmonicats. I performed on keyboards as Pedersen’s accompanist for over a decade. I’m pleased to find out about this forum and appreciate very much being accepted.

4 Likes

Hello @Jim_Watkins,
Wow Respect! 70 Jahre Harpspiel. I say welcome to our company and I look forward to an interesting exchange. Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Tommesa from Augusta Georgia. First, I want to thank Luke and Harmonica dot com for the Beginner to Boss course I’m currently working my way through. I’ve wanted to learn to play this instrument for a long time. My grandfather played and I was learning from him when I was younger but he passed away when I was ll years old and could no longer teach me. And since no one else in the family could play or seemed interested, I had to postpone learning until I was old enough to try on my own. I had signed up with another program and found it to be difficult (no videos). As the years passed. I would think about it but had not idea where to begin. And then when the pandemic put us all in the house I happened to stumble across this website and immediately scraped up what little change I had to start the payment plan. It has been the best decision I’ve made. Thankfully, I’m catching on quickly and feel like I’m making up for lost time. Most of all, everytime I pick up the harp, I feel just a little bit closer to my grandaddy. You have no idea what the means to me. I will be teaching my own grandbabies. Thanks again for helping me to recature and pass on a legacy.

7 Likes

Hi Tommesa @tommesamobley

Welcome to the forum! Your intro story is very inspiring and I am sure you will become a talented blues harp player.

Your Granddaddy is surely watching your progress and is very proud of his last student and how she has finally resumed the trip upon which he started her.

Best regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hello there, @Slim. Thanks for the warm welcome. I’m happy to meet you. You know, I believe that grandaddy is always watching me. I appreciate the encouragement. I can see now, that this community is going to become a huge part of my soul family.

I’m sure I don’t have to tell you how good it feels to find a place you just feel you belong with people who understand why you love that little pockets sized power instrument so much. Yes, I do believe I’ve finally come home. It’s good to be here.

4 Likes

Hello @tommesamobley,
nice that you found us, welcome. I can understand you so well! My dad was an excellent saxophone and clarinet player. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to learn an instrument before. But I also feel that he is with me and that he would like it. If things don’t go that well with learning, I hear him say: “Keep going, you’re on the right track” :wink:. We used to have a picture on the wall. It read: “Music is the bridge between heaven and earth”. I come from Germany and unfortunately playing the harmonica is not as widespread as in some other countries. It’s time to carry this small and fine instrument further into the world. Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

4 Likes

Hi @AstridHandbikebee63 YESSSSS!!! And I love that quote. Music is certainly a universal language that knows nothing of divisions. The idea of music as a bridge between heaven and earth definitely resonates. I’m happy to be a part of the movement to bring our little instrument to the world. I look forward to learning more about you and your journey.

5 Likes

I am playing the crossover as well and it’s a big improvement over the Special 20.

2 Likes

First ever gig for the band - everyone was petrified!

A ‘friend’ filmed it on their phone and somehow it ‘escaped’ and is now on YouTube. Song is an original by a local guitar player (not in the band). Harp is a ‘D’ Lee Oskar into a Bulletini mic (with volume control) through a DI box into the PA - so I’m completely at the mercy of the sound guy!
Be kind!

Cheers
Maka

10 Likes