Introduce Yourself!

Welcome to the group Frank. Very helpful folks to answer pretty much any questions you will have.

5 Likes

Hello @cpto116 Frank,
welcome at our place! You have taken the first important step and found us. Good that you have set yourself a clear goal. It is important that you do not put yourself under pressure, but that you start your (daily) lessons very relaxed in body and mind. You’ll learn one thing or another quickly, but with other things you’ll have the feeling that it doesn’t work. Don’t let yourself be stressed, continue at other points and come back to your “construction site” in between. There are also small miracles, just let them surprise you. :slightly_smiling_face: Are you even more curious? Then you are on the right track and we are here for you. Greetings from Astrid from Germany :woman_in_lotus_position:

4 Likes

Hi Frank (@cpto116). Welcome to the forum!

Relax, have fun, and enjoy the journey. Please keep us up to date on your progress. Sharing in your successes helps keep us all motivated.

3 Likes

Wow… Thank you for the very kind and informative words. By nature, I’m not a relaxed person. This actually the main reason for picking up the harmonica. I want to get mentally lost in something to escape my day to day stresses. I hope I can, the Lord know I’m going try

4 Likes

I will try. I’ve never belonged to an online group or forum before so this is all new to me. I’m actually learning how to do these responses as I go. I’m a little introverted in the way of sharing success, but if it would help motivate others, I will do my best to try and share. Thank you for your response.

5 Likes

@cpto116,
here in the forum it is very relaxed and there are no wrong questions. I hadn’t been in any forums or online courses before and had to learn more about the English language first. When I’m busy with my harp and need a break, this is where I relax. No comparison to other well-known platforms, where I haven’t done anything for a long time due to increasing stress.

You will find good mental relaxation while learning and playing with the harp. Before you start, always make sure your breathing and muscles are relaxed, as it is a unit. Just breathe deeply in and out several times. It quickly sinks into your subconscious, so it’s an important task to begin with. It will also help you not get out of breath as quickly, which is normal at first. Your many (foreign) mouth, tongue and throat muscles also want to be built up first. It’s not bad, but important.
That’s it from me at first. Everything will be fine! :woman_in_lotus_position:

4 Likes

Great advice, Astrid @AstridHandbikebee63 ! :point_left: :slightly_smiling_face:

–Slim :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Great goal Frank! You’ll reach it too!
Rock on,
Luke

2 Likes

This forum was my first time on a forum too!

2 Likes

Hi Luke/Everyone,

I started playing harmonica for the first time when I began the “Boss” course this past New Year’s Day. I have some experience with piano, four years of lessons, 25 years ago.

Now beginning the final module (one-man banding). I really enjoy the course, thanks Luke! This course has made it easy to put in a lot of reps in a short time.

Thought I’d share a few bits about what I’m learning about my ‘early on’ playing:

Progressing nicely with control and direct bends on holes 1/2/4/6. The toughest thing for me is control on the 3-hole bends. I can hit each 3-hole semi-tone but not much consistency or control. More work for sure here on hole 3!

I’m finding that I prefer tongue-blocking. I get consistent, clean notes and it’s easier for me to find/move/skip holes more accurately than lp.
Any time that a riff or string of notes do not require bends, I use tongue-blocking. For now, I find that I mix the two styles depending on the note sequence.

I’d like to stick with tongue blocking but being able to bend while tb…wow. Is learning bends using tongue blocking covered in JP’s “Breakthrough Blues” course?

When I complete the Boss course, my plan is to take “Breakthrough”.

Thanks Luke, and to everyone else on the forum.

Don
//Hohner Rocket Amp
//Seydel 1847 Lightning

4 Likes

Try a piano. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hi I’m Warrick from Newcastle, Australia. Have started my journey with the harmonica at the tender age of 67. I hope I’m not too late! Experiencing all the normal learning problems I have read about but still enjoying the challenge. Happy with my progress after 4 months. If I can say I’m still enjoying the journey after 4 years I will be very happy!

4 Likes

Hi @Wazzdozz and welcome to the forum!

Age does not matter around here. Having fun learning to play the harmonica, getting advice when you have questions about anything and even just socializing with others who share your interest and passion in harmonica music, technique, history … you name it. :wink:

Regards,
– Slim

3 Likes

Hello @Wazzdozz,
nice that we can welcome you here too. So far it seems to be working well and the targeted 4 years will certainly be many more. :grin: Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Hi Slim, thanks for your welcome to this site. I know I will enjoy many interesting postings from forum members to help me on my way.
Cheers Warrick

3 Likes

Hello Astrid. Thanks for the warm welcome. Just feeling my way through harmonica.com website and having a ball. So much info. Awesome, already have realized my approach was wrong! Lots to learn, look forward to more interaction with others in the forum.
Cheers Warrick.

3 Likes

Hallo und guten Morgen @Slim.
Ich hoffe, es wird nicht zuviel von mir. Ich habe dir heute früh einen Link als private Nachricht geschickt, so zum Test. Bin mir nicht sicher, ob das funktioniert hat und du die Nachricht überhaupt bekommen hast. Habe hier damit irgendwie Probleme durchzublicken.
Wir lesen uns. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Alles ist gut gegangen, Astrid @AstridHandbikebee63 !

1 Like

Welcome Warrick!

I am new here myself. Lots of good people and good harmonica stuff. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi frankyb!
I hope you enjoy your time here, lots and lots of good valuable info and new friends!
Cheers Warrick.

2 Likes