Introduce Yourself!

Hello @Stonecutter,
nice that you found your way to us and to the “Beginner to the Boss” course! Wind instruments are not for everyone and the range is so diverse. There are loved ones and hated ones, well known ones and less well known ones, and then the often ridiculed harmonica. :slightly_smiling_face: If you don’t take a closer look at it, you have no idea :man_shrugging: what this little miracle can do. How much physical effort in the mouth and throat area on previously unknown muscles and breathing it is capable of. You already have previous musical knowledge, which makes your upcoming exciting journey :railway_track: a lot easier. I wish you enough curiosity and have fun conquering. Greetings from Germany from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Stonecutter! The B2B course is well laid out to show you all the basics, and your experience as a musician will ease you through the theory section. Enjoy the journey!

3 Likes

Slim,

The Bulletini immediately became my mic of choice, pushing out a Shure Commando 420 (with a CM element), a CAD HM50VC (same as Astatic JT-30) and a Shure 520DX from the ‘favourite’ position.

The only issues I’ve seen is that the volume control works in the opposite direction to the CAD and the 520, and people with really big hands have trouble getting a good cup - it’s a lot smaller than the other bullets.

4 Likes

I’m Barry Kolp. I decided on my recent 70th birthday to start playing harmonica again, after about a four year break. I’ve had a slight stroke, which leaves me with a few minor issues to work around. I’ve made a commitment to practicing 4-6 times a week. I’m excited about the lessons offered here. I’ve tried other online courses, but they just didn’t work for me.

4 Likes

Thank you very much @Maka !! :+1: :wink:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @pastorbk !

Following a stroke it is very good therapy to do something like you are doing: (re)learning and improving your skills in a hobby that is challenging and fun to do!! Keep practicing and let us know about your progress and if you have any questions.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

A warm welcome from me, too, @pastorbk.
Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Welcome aboard @pastorbk

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @pastorbk, and welcome back to playing the harp!

1 Like

Hello, My name is Crow Esquivel brand new to the harmonica world. Any advice is more then greatly appreciated

3 Likes

Hello @Crow, and welcome to the forum. When you have questions, just post them in the most appropriate category. There are lots of knowledgeable folks willing to help.

3 Likes

Thank you

3 Likes

Hi
I’m Sheri
I’ve had my hohner pro harp for many years, yet didn’t get serious until this year…
I love this site, been working on my bending for a week or so now,…it’s sometimes hilarious learning this, lol

5 Likes

Hi @sheri. Welcome to the forum! I’m not to bending in the course yet, but I’m hoping I find it hilarious… :wink:

Welcome aboard. You’ll have fun here!

2 Likes

I have been playing harp since 1969. My 1st and main love is blues but I can.
I play by ear and have played many different genres of music, including rock, folk, swing, Eastern European, and Middle Eastern.
Two things I have learned that made the biggest impact on my playing are:1)learning to adjust the amount of gap between the reed and the plate. Low notes have some gap and high notes have none. Open a harp that you find easiest to play and duplicate the gap set up in your other harps.
2) I stopped blowing into the harp from the front of my mouth. Instead, I direct air from the back of my throat. Pretend you have a slight cough to identify where the air should be coming from. This will allow you to play with less breath, so you have more control of the note. Also, your harps will last longer.

7 Likes

Hello @stevenlois1, I find point 2 particularly interesting for me. I’ve only been playing for a few months myself, but I play like I’m closing the larynx on each note and it really saves air. At some point it came naturally while learning, just like that. Best regards from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Astrid, great! You are starting using the best technique. Keep on harping!

4 Likes

Welcome this is a great course

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum. congrats on the Crossover. Hope you love the course!

2 Likes

Hello everyone! My name is Frank and I am very much looking forward to this Harmonica journey. I have about 3 days experience but a lot of goals I’d like to hit by the end of the year. Most important to me is to be comfortable enough with the instrument to jam in front of others and feel confident moving around it musically.

7 Likes