Introduce Yourself!

Hi all
so wrapt to be hear im diggin the course already
I’m Richie vocalist musician from melbourne Australia

6 Likes

Hello to all. Good news. There is no one that will read this post as you are not the worst harmonica player in the world. I am and just started with a 20 Crossover. It sounds great and the " tough " holes 1-3 and 8-10 are very user friendly. There is not a harmonica player within 30 miles of where I live to my knowledge. Signing up for the lessons now but cannot read music nor have I ever played anything but a duck call, pool and baseball.

I have a problem. My Crossover is brand new and it became apparent that it had to be cleaned almost daily, even though I play softer and keep the harmonica in a very controlled environment. I took it apart per the instructions and noticed a large black spot on the 6 reed. I very carefully removed it and the problem with this hole was gone. I have been having to clean it about every other day. I took the plates off and saw a black substance on it that was applied during manufacture. It is very hard to get off and small pieces have been getting into the reeds, There was a black adhesive that was on the reed plate and it had the out line of the center piece in it, meaning something was used to hold the plates together so getting while being assembled when assembled. Is this a manufacturer foul up? I cannot get all of it off and having to clean out the very small pieces of this deposit that break off, causing holes to be unplayable and sometimes hard to blow. When cleaned the crossover plays great but having to clean it every other day and not playing well when dirty is frustrating. Any ideas on what the black and hard deposit is? Should I contact the manufacture and request another harp. Cleaning the reeds and having to very lightly scratch of this mess is bound to foul the reeds soon.

Scott

3 Likes

Hi @scott4

This sounds like a factory error that you should not be required to correct. I personally would try to get a replacement.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Slim

I tried by unless you have sales receipt the your SOL with the warranty number provided with the harmonica. A receipt from the credit card company is not good enough. i bought it online and no receipt was given.

harmonica is great but this is not the way I would do business, especially when word gets out. I ordered another from a different entity and plan to dispute the charge. If I get resolution I may keep the first one and put a different key in. I need a D flat.

Thank again for your help and post. You strike me as an accomplished player and someone that enjoys helping people.

Scott

4 Likes

If this was on eBay you can ask the vendor for a paper receipt, and if they don’t send you one then ask for a refund because the order was missing parts (receipt). If they don’t do it or fail to respond, then complain to eBay. I got a free $300 crossbow in this way last year, got a refund and got to keep the bow.

3 Likes

Howdy from Virginia, USA. I live in a rural area on a small farm. I was born with optic atrophy and am legally blind. Not black blind, but do not see well. I am interested in the diatonic harmonica for fun. Not to perform professionally, but rather a hobby. I am currently seeking harmonica teaching methods that are less visual and focus more on learning by ear. For example, scrolling tabs or notation in real time will not work for me. I also have harmonica questions, but that does not belong here. I gotta start somewhere, this will be fun.

5 Likes

Hello @BlindFarmer,
welcome at our place!

To your question: It seems to be a problem, unfortunately. Can you read Braille? If so, many songs can be found on the Internet for printing. Surely there is also a tool where these tabs can be converted to braille or read to you?

Maybe you should contact an association for the blind and partially sighted in your region. I would ask there! There are some blind or partially sighted musicians like Steve Wonder. They also found ways to play an instrument.

Or you may have to listen to the song and search for every single note or tab by ear and play it over and over again. Until you can play it by heart.
Once you know the notes on the harp, it becomes easier. With learning videos, the songs are explained and played piece by piece. That would also be a learning method. Since you have written to us here, you are doing well on the PC, tablet or mobile phone and it should work.

If you’re playing a song, it’s best to be able to play freely anyway. But it takes some time to learn that. Not easy, but possible!

Best Regards from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I learned guitar and ukulele by ear. One thing that helped me was an ear training course by Rick Beato. I am simply a couch player, for fun. I am not a performing dude. This is for fun and hobby.

5 Likes

Yo @Richielove so happy to have you hear. Glad you digging the course. WELCOME to the forum.

@scott4 Welcome to the forum. So happy to have ya here. The best harmonica player is the one who has the most fun!

Sorry to hear about the bum Crossover. Very surprising! Never heard of anyone experiencing anything like this. If you’re in the States this is where buying stuff from Rockin’ Rons is cool because I think he really cares and takes good care of the harmonica community. Nice tip about eBay @KeefDeBluesHarpRobot

@BlindFarmer it’s been great to see you in the course, and so glad you’ve joined the forum and told us a bit more about you. So cool because I always tell people, the best way to go through Beginner to Boss course is with your eyes closed!

3 Likes

At the time of typing this, I am at M2L5. Thus far I have been able to use your verbal cues. Basically I am very near sighted. As I type this I am on an Android tablet with 11 inch screen. The screen is less than a pinky length from the end of my nose. That is why real time scrolling tab will not work. LOL I can not follow it. Thus far your verbal cues and audio is working great. I had to do the same with acoustic guitar and ukulele. Feel and sound are the ticket.

3 Likes

Just listen to a bunch of old muddy waters etc… and play, Keep your harps clean, don’t eat or smoke, a little water of tea, not to much sugar, no Southern Sweet Tea. Your ears will tell you. If playing second position, 1-4 draw is the I chord, push is the IV and 456 draw is the V chord, then break it down to any single draws or pushes, get the feel of the air flow and curl your tongue, don’t french the harp comb.

3 Likes

Luke

Thanks. Please note that Hohner went out of their way to get me a replacement. I was a banker for 32 years and always said the only person or company that does not make a mistake is one that never tries or does anything. In other words its not a mistake a company makes but how well they handle it.

My wife and I went to Maui in 1981 for our honeymoon and spent every dime we had. It took me many hours to get up on a surf board as I had no attachment rope. A girl helped me out and when I did get up it was unbeeleevvable. We took the road to Hana and then on to the little church where Charles Linnburg is buried. Those black sand beaches were fantastic as were the seven sacred pools. I went back to the big island and Maui a few years ago and it sure has changed. Black sand is now mud and there were snack shops along the way, really sad. Could not go to the Pearl Harbor park as a four hour wait was not enough given the crowds. Money has a way of messing up just about everything, especially the beautiful places. Left there sorta sad. I don’t like the light rail there either, just cannot see the use or cost.

Thanks for sending us Tulsi. She is great. As classy as she is I would think she was born in Texas if I did not know better.

Scott

2 Likes

Hello, My name is Hans Live in Germany but am from the Netherlands, Retired, 68 years old and love motorbiking and sculpturing in stone. Thusfar a failure in playing musical instruments :sweat_smile:
Checked out some online harmonica courses from Tomlin and others Also tried a 2 day live training ( 3 hours each day) from a good blues harmonica player but that did not got me going. Checked out your 3 free lessons which gave me a good feeling So here I go. Hope I can now start enjoying playing music.

7 Likes

Hi,
I’m Bill from Arizona. I have really enjoyed the Beginner to Boss class and I’m working my way through the Breakthrough Blues class. I’ve discovered that being able to play notes and follow along using tabs doesn’t make you sound very musical. I really enjoy playing the harmonica and plan to continue, and hope to develop a better sound rather than just playing some recognizable riffs and tunes. I have asthma and bought the
Seydel-Schaman MDharmonica and have been able to quit taking my medication.

4 Likes

Fantastical. Welcome to the fun from a newbie.

2 Likes

That’s great the harmonica helped you feel so much better! Welcome!

4 Likes

@hansreijmerink Welcome to the course and to the forum my brother! Wow sculpturing in stone - SO COOL! :sunglasses: I’ve got a feeling the harmonica is your instrument! And I’m honored to be part of your journey. You got this! :facepunch:t3:

@billhuddleston hey welcome to the forum man -GREAT STUFF here about musicality VS. following tabs. WOW! That’s high praise for the MDharmonica. VERY COOL man. Thank you for sharing this. Rock on! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Bill, I started playing the harmonica because I wanted to improve my lung capacity too…I am now able to hike up hills with my dogs in the park that I could not before I started. It sounds like you have made some very positive progress, that is a fabulous accomplishment! Very happy for you!

4 Likes

Hi Luke. I’ve gotten lots of help from your YouTube videos. So thanks for that. I’ve played harmonica in bands in Detroit in the 1960’s. Stopped playing except now and then. For the last 3 months playing it everyday. It’s great to get back to it!
I’ve always played with notes bending so in confused (no one seems to clearly) . My notes bend down on blow & draw. Can you clearly this. Sorry the question is so simple…

3 Likes

Hello everyone.
I’m new to harmonica after about 25 years of on-off guitar playing (not very good, but i enjoy it) - i thought starting something new would help get me out of a rut and ordered a harp on a whim as a birthday present for myself.

Looking forward to making some new noises.

Cheers,

Piglet.

5 Likes