Practice with the b to boss course

Fantastic @AstridHandbikebee63
This history is helpful
I hope to get to your level over the next year

3 Likes

Oh yes @betterapproach.team you will! Even without putting you under pressure! Keep calm, it’s so important!
I don’t know if you already know my spontaneous improvisation. I’ll put them back here for you. Please feel free to listen to it on Youtube.

No, it doesn’t always work! It depends on the form of the day and it has yet to really become “flesh and blood”. Also, don’t forget our age as we started late. Certainly we will hardly manage to catch up for forty years. It doesn’t matter, we challenge and support each other! That counts and it feels so good! Don’t be too strict on yourself, give yourself a break too!
I tend to find less time to practice and study in the summer. My priority is more outside when riding a handbike to maintain my stability with my health. The harp is welcome to be there to play in a nice place.

5 Likes

I have subscribed to you @AstridHandbikebee63 on YouTube :joy:
Yeah it is about fun

3 Likes

Thanks @burpsan
I am module 2 level 27
Love the course

2 Likes

Good idea re cards @DavidW
Appreciated

2 Likes

Ah, you are the subscriber @betterapproach.team, :wink::joy:.
Sorry, you can’t see who subscribes, just how many subscribers you have. Yes, it’s about fun!

But with the songs I play, you can also see my weaknesses that still exist! That’s what it’s all about for me! See and hear in a year if I make further progress.

2 Likes

Not sure if this helps but I have 2 screens. I put one on the backing track and one on the lesson or song section. You could also use 2 devices or split your screen. Its not difficult once you know. Do you have a techy friend?

2 Likes

I was making notation on a computer at first, using ‘markdown’ in Obsidian, but I work with computers all day long, so I like to use none computer solutions for hobby & pastime activities where possible & for me at least 5x3 cards are a good solution. Simple interface, always on, infinite battery life, easy to sort.

I’d need bigger cards for longer songs. LOL!

Each to their own… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@DavidW That makes sense. If I was on a computer all day, I’d want a break from it too.

1 Like

Nice! I’m just a tad behind starting Tom Petty on Lesson 23.

2 Likes

I took a little different approach. I found that i couldn’t really feel the song or lick while trying to read the tab. I committed to using it at first during the lesdon and then never looking again. I think it really helped my speed and eneral feel of the song. Everyone has their own ideas about what works best for them

5 Likes

Amen to that @rmajor874 .
When it comes to learning (& many other things), there’s no “one size fits all”.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @rmajor874 !

Yeah, we all try to figure out what works best for oneself. Btw, I do try and do what you’re doing … though I do start with getting notes down and working through it in my mind … what you described follows if I understand you correctly … developing an ear for it, and play by feel. I.e., the tabs have gone out the window at that point. If I need a quick review I’ve got a quick reference.

Of course, I’m open to learning from others in figuring out the best way to learn and retain. It feels like Luke to his credit has definitely created a nice pedagogical approach to this course, which I appreciate. Feels like I’m learning by leaps and bounds and everything falls in place at the right moment.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Thanks @rmajor874
I need to try this

2 Likes

Absolutely. I have a notebook.

4 Likes

I love all the dialogue going on here!

@rmajor874 Welcome to the forum first of all. Very happy to have you here! Second of all this is the most excellent way. This is how I myself learn to play the harmonica, except generally I didn’t have any tabs to start with, so just a whole bunch of trial and error.

This is absolutely the way to forge the deepest connection with the instrument.

@betterapproach.team - I highly recommend that you try the approach of @rmajor874, even if it’s just on one or two songs from the course at some point. Committing a few songs to memory will definitely help you get to that next level. :call_me_hand:t3:

3 Likes

Thanks Luke. I still pick a group of sound tracks from the course most every day. One important thing im starting to notice is, ( if i can sing it, i can play it …for the most part.) Working hard on accuracy of the bends. At 75 i may never get this nailed but geat practice. Still can barely bend 6.

2 Likes

Will do @Luke
And thanks to @rmajor874

2 Likes

Hi @rmajor874

To practice accurate bending use cello drones in the key of the note that you wish to accurately hit with your bend. See my post here.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hi, yes! I write the tabs down after Luke as has gone through the lesson explanation. I practice each song or phrase before I go through the jam sessions. I find this helps me get the tune in my head, then I practice with the jam tracks. I find it helps!

4 Likes