Share your favorite harmonica songs!

Hello @fallonsteve291,
I’ll try my hand at the answer.

You are describing a Richter tuning here (which can be chromatic, but doesn’t have to be). The arrangement is designed to always be able to play a chord. If you look at the wind tones, you will recognize the pattern “C E G C E G C E G…”. So you always have a chord built on the root C. In the core octave, therefore, it does not work to always alternate blowing and drawing in order to reach the next whole tone.

Maybe it helps you? But @Slim certainly still.

Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Hi Steve @fallonsteve291

Well, although it does sound tough, most of the music theory you need to get this down is fairly easy. :wink:

Basically, when talking about the notes using numbers (like 3 and 5) the numbers refer to the notes in a scale and usually this means the major scale. As you probably know, there are 12 different major scales (just like there are blues harps in 12 different keys). From your question, I can tell that you are speaking about a C harmonica.

What you seem to asking about is why the -5 on a C harmonica (which, as you correctly said, is the note F – as is the -2" and also the -9) is called the flat 7 (or b7). Well, the -2", -5 and -9 are only called the flat 7 when you play the harmonica in second position (which means you are playing in the key of G and not in the key of C). Believe me – even if you didn’t know this before.

Now you need to know which notes occur in the G major scale – which you can find on wikipedia (here is the link). The seven notes of this scale are:

G A B C D E F#

The numbering of the notes in the G major scale begins with the G (also called the root note of the G major scale) and it is, of course, the number 1. Number 2 is then the A, number 3 is the B, etc. up to the seventh note which is F#. But on your C harp -2", -5 and -9 are each F but not F#. The difference between these two notes is that if you flatten (i.e. lower the pitch) F# by a half step you get the note F – so that is why -2", -5 and -9 are known as a flat 7. They are the seventh note of the G major scale, F#, that is lowered in pitch by a half step (aka “flattened”) to F.

As for your remark about the minor chord having a flat 3rd – this is true. But that note is only a Bb when we are speaking about the G major scale and its minor chord (which is made with the notes G Bb D). Looking above, you see that the 3rd note of the G major scale is a B. The note Bb is not in the G major scale. But if we lower that 3rd note (B) by a half step (and play -3’ on our C harp) we have it: Bb!

For harps in other keys, this is somewhat different (but still the same concept applies). For example the A harp played in 2nd position is using the E major scale, which has the notes (hold on to your seat):

E F# G# A B C# D#

and on that A harp -2", -5 and -9 each give you a D (not D#) and, as you can see, D is the flat 7 note of the E major scale. Since the minor chord for the E major scale is played with the notes E G B, you should now see that G is the flat 3rd of the E major scale’s 3rd note (G#).

I perhaps went overboard here, and if so I apologize. :innocent: If you have further questions about this, ask again and I will try to clear up any difficulties. :point_left:

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hi @Slim.
No, that was not too much, very well explained and thank you for your time to do this. I have no formal education in music theory but am fascinated with the language. I get a bit frustrated when i dont quite understand. :+1:

4 Likes

You are very welcome, Steve @ !

Take little steps with music theory and I expect you will find it not too difficult. There is usually someone around here to assist you if you get frustrated again. :wink:

Regards,

4 Likes

Wow! I really enjoyed this.

I always knew there was something special about Robert Plant :herb:

Rock on :fist_right:

3 Likes

Neil Young performing Pocahontas during his Unplugged session.
(174) Neil Young - Pocahontas - YouTube

3 Likes

And Like a Hurricane
(174) Neil Young Like a Hurricane live with organ and harmonica - YouTube

3 Likes

Hey @jeffw good to see ya - it’s been awhile! Thanks for sharing this man, some of Neil Young’s finest playing here IMHO, and I’d never seen this before.

1 Like

Harmonica on Like a Hurricane starts here:

2 Likes

He plays a lot of harmonica on his Unplugged session. Great performance. I’ve been away from harmonica for a while - been trying to play guitar! Back to harmonica soon.

2 Likes

Did you know Terry McMillan played harmonica for Neil Young for the latter’s country album?

2 Likes

Slim

I practice only two slightly different songs.

Theme song for Dances With Wolves.

Sound Of Silence

Both are slow and require single note practice. Until I get my Crossover 20 replacement certain holes with the residue are not easy and frankly sound bad. Its the single note isolation that I am trying to improve on. When a mistake is made it is very apparent with my selection of music to practice on. Also working on bending and laying slower and soft. I have an I pod and place one ear plug in so the song is played and I can still hear what I play and my mistakes. Hole 8 is now very bad but this is only temporary.

What do you think of this learning approach? I am in the process of signing up for Luke’s lessons and will probably go through the whole program at least twice as being retired time is not an issue. I cleaned my C20 today and it sounded good for a while but its not long for this world. I am thinking of getting B flat reed set to replace the bad one I have as another Crossover 20 is on the way. Do you think such a conversion like this is a good idea? Also how often due you tune your harmonica? . What is your recommended brand of harmonica for the slower music?

Scott

4 Likes

Hi Scott @scott4

You are doing all of the right things, if you ask me. Slow songs are an excellent choice, but even many songs that we normally hear played at faster tempos can be played slowly and with more feeling, or with added “blues feeling” (adding bends/extra notes) to achieve not only your goals of more control and accuracy – they often sound just as good (or possibly even better) as when played at faster tempos without the extra “feeling”. An excellent example is Steven Foster’s “Oh! Susanna”.

Nothing wrong with doing that. Another good choice would be to get a reed set in the key of A since many guitar players find it easier to play music in the key of A (which is first position for a blues harp with an A tuning) or in the key of E (which is second position for a blues harp with an A tuning) than it is for them to play songs in the key of Bb (Bb is first position for a blues harp with a Bb tuning) or in the key of F (which is second position for a blues harp with a Bb tuning). If you do not understand what I am talking about (first position and second position, etc) then don’t worry about all of this because you will eventually learn it (as well as some other positions – of which there are 12) during the course of Luke’s @Luke lessons.

Maybe one time (right after purchase and only if it is needed). Normally – unless you abuse the harp by playing with too much air pressure/suction strength or it is a very cheap harp – the blues harp will not need re-tuning for even years. I guess that harps with brass reeds (most harps are like this, such those from Hohner, Suzuki, etc) might require re-tuning sooner than harps with stainless steel reeds (such as Seydel or Yonberg harps) or with titanium reeds (something newly introduced by Yonberg recently).

Any harp that is not too cheap. More precisely: a decent harp will cost about 25 US dollars – and the sky is the limit above that. I would initially stick to well-established companies (such as Hohner, Seydel, Suzuki, Yonberg) before experimenting with lesser-known brands – especially when you are a beginner and just learning how to do all of the techniques that a good harp player needs to learn.

I hope this helps you and answers the questions that you have. Others here can also give you advice – don’t start thinking that I am some sort of harmonica guru !! :laughing:

Regards,

2 Likes

@KeroroRinChou do you know the name of the Neil Young album that Terry played on?

@scott4 You know how I feel. I don’t mind repeating myself. Slow and steady wins the race! Or, as I like to put it: the faster you wanna grow, the more you have to go SLOW!

@Slim yes agreed. I favored my Hohner Crossover key of A over all my other harps for a couple years and the -4 finally went flat (that was like a year ago, and I STILL haven’t overcome my blockage to tuning it!) Had it been stainless steel instead of brass I’m confident it would still be in tune. (It just wouldn’t sound as good. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

To think Joe Filisko fine tunes the intonation on all his harps before every gig he does. I wanna be like that when I grow up.

2 Likes

@Slim
Congratulations for translating v11 to b7. After I saw your answer I understood it was an attempt at roman numerals.

@Luke “slow and steady”. Grab an old harp and tune one reed. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Luke

I may be mistaken but I think he played all the harp music in Dances With Wolves. All play with the beach Boys when cutting Pet Sounds… This only a bit of what he has done.

Scott

1 Like

Slim

Luke may know the tech Rockin Ron refers clients to and he is great. Ron can to as he gave me his name and number. If you like Ill find it and post for you.

Scott

1 Like

@scott4,
@Slim is currently unavailable! He will get in touch with you at a later date.

2 Likes

Tom Petty – Mary Jane’s last dance

I might’ve missed this one somewhere, but it is one of my favorites.

I guess I don’t know how to post a link to the site

2 Likes

@smyliestyle, I’ll help you:

2 Likes