Show us Your Harps, Mics, & Amps!

Thanks a million @Slim, as usual excellent advice! :+1:

2 Likes

@Slim
OK that’s an affirmative! :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

The harps are a mix of brands, Hohner, Lee Oskar, Huang, Buckeye Music, Seydel.
The mics are 2 Shures, Astatic (sp) and a Shaker.
The amps a 1959 Premier Twin 8, and a 1965 Gibson Skylark.
When I was out gigging regularly I had a monster size Roland (solid state) that would let me compete with those dang loud guitars.

7 Likes

NICE STUFF! :heart_eyes: Thanks for sharing. Which is your favorite mic? Which is your favorite amp?

1 Like

For the mics it depends on who I’m playing with. I have some friends that play acoustic guitar through a small Bose pa/amp system and with them I really like the shaker mic. I added a ring to it that I can slide over a finger and not worry about dropping it. When I play with friends who play electric guitar through larger amps (why do they always have to be so loud?) I usually use the Astatic w/volume control or the SM57 (which I also added a ring to).
Both amps are great. With my acoustic friends I just play through my amp ,with electric friends I’ve got to mic my amps through a pa system. 5 and 8 watts just don’t cut it when the guitars a wailing through 50 watts and up.
My favorite is the 1959 Premier Twin 8. The sound is warm and great and with only 8 watts its easy to crank it and get that bluesy distortion. I waited a long time just to find that baby.

4 Likes

Whoah that’s so cool - I’d love to see an up-close photo of the rings on the mics!

Thanks so much for sharing. :+1:t3:

1 Like

The rings are just held on by plastic wire ties. A little reassurance when it gets hot and sweaty on stage.

7 Likes

Great idea! I’ve been wondering how I’d go holding a mic at the same time, now I think I know! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

4 Likes

9 Likes

Just added this one to my collection. And Luke is right. It’s great! Could become my first choice go to instrument.

9 Likes

Wow those rings are so cool! Genius!

@johnreffitt1962 shaker microphone is another great answer to the “how will I hold a harmonica and a mic at the same time?” question!

I haven’t tried one yet, but it’s definitely on my to-do list!

Rock on,
Luke

4 Likes

This what happens when you get GAS (gear acquisition syndrome):
First you get a rig that is so neat you can’t take it out to real world

Playmaster Unit 2 Stereo amp into National ‘suitcase’ speaker cab upgraded with Magnavox speakers with a Shure 125 Commando mic.
Then you need something that is not so old and potentially fragile you can take it out into the world:

Johnson T25R Laredo combo amp with a CAD50VC mic (=JT30) and a set of Easttop T008K harps. But that becomes your backup rig because you need more firepower for a gig rig

HarpGear HG35 with a Pasgao wireless system and a Bulletini VC mic. And a load of Lee Oskar harps (Lo E to Hi G) and a couple of Lo Suzuki Manjis too

That should be enough stuff!

7 Likes

Except it never turns out to be “enough” stuff.:joy:

3 Likes

Woo hoo! :raised_hands:t3: Thank you for setting the bar high. If any of our spouses complain, we can show them your post. :wink:

Where do you live? I wanna come over and play with your toys! :joy:

4 Likes

Yeah, time for @Maka to start building a pedal board! Should be able to sink another $1k into that without too much trouble. :rofl:

3 Likes

Too late!

Digitech RP350 with Richard Hunter’s harmonica patches and a nano looper

But no more! (I think)

4 Likes

Some things you just have to have!

6 Likes

Just out of interest @jeffw , were you given a choice of key?
And what do you think of the new album? Looking good so far imo.

1 Like

No choice of key. C only. Have not heard the new album. Will check it out.

2 Likes

Thanks. It’s just something I’d wondered about. I posted a link to a new Ozzy song featuring harmonica in the lounge btw.

2 Likes