Sit or stand ? A eureka moment!

Just playing some of the Beginner to Boss workouts and decided to stand instead of sit. Find I’m more relaxed and it seems a more natural way to play! I do suffer from back trouble so don’t like to sit for too long in any case. Its a whole new world!!

7 Likes

Hi Jeff @jeffw

Yes, standing is best for most instruments that require precise breath control. :point_left:

And if you also happen to have back (or any other) problems that make sitting uncomfortable then you will never really relax when sitting and your musical performance will reflect that in one way or another.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Hello @jeffw,
I can’t stand because of my disability. I’ve found that you can also play lying down. The upper body should be elevated and supported. The arms free. Maybe it will help you too?

4 Likes

Will try that. Except my doctor advises me to move as much as possible for various health reasons! I walk for at least one hour a day and try to get up and move during the course of the day.

4 Likes

Definitely discovered that today. Standing and playing does seem to be beneficial.

4 Likes

@jeffw, of course you have to test it. @Luke and @Slim recently suggested playing the harp while walking.
Maybe you can walk in place while playing at home.
Sitting and standing are not good for your back and your blood circulation.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Not sure I want to be known in the neighbourhood as “that weird guy who plays harmonica while walking”! But maybe when i’m out walking in the woods with no one around I could try it.

4 Likes

:rofl: This is how new trends are born @jeffw. Who knows?
In the forest or lonely paths is ok. You will see how the animals react. :wink:

4 Likes

Hey, Jeff @jeffw

It’s either that or here in the forum neighborhood you’ll be known as “that weird guy who does not play the harmonica while walking” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::boom:

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I can live with that :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Standing has always been my preferred method of playing. Over forty years ago I was playing at a blues jam and one of my mentors after wards said " why do you look down when you’re playing?" I didn’t know. I hadn’t thought about it. He told me to raise my chin ( look down your nose at the audience) raising your chin raises your hands which raises your elbows, which opens your chest, lungs and air passages. He said you’ll play better and not struggle so much. I tried it stuck with it and found it really helps. My two cents.

8 Likes

I have been playing sitting down
Not good for breathing and general health
I am going to stand and see how I go

6 Likes

Love it @Slim :joy:

3 Likes

It’s heaps better for breathing due to the better posture. I also find that it helps you feel more liberated when it’s your chance to let rip. Cheers my friend :grin:

4 Likes

Tried it when doing the course today
Definitely freer

5 Likes

Way to go Bruce :sunglasses:

4 Likes

@AstridHandbikebee63 you took the words right out of my mouth…TWICE!

I was gonna suggest lying down as well. When I’m playing late at night and I’m super tired but don’t wanna stop playing, I lie on my back on the floor and play.

Yes, harmonica walking highly recommended. I’m in a residential area and I walk on a busy road in the bike lane. There aren’t people walking though sometimes people in their yards hear me. It does affect my mind because when someone can hear me it’s always like, “Oh they can hear me I should be doing something that sounds better. I wonder if they like it? Etc…”

When I play standing at home, I like to move a little, sometimes I pace or just kinda shift my weight a bit.

@explorermatt that’s great advice man. Plus when you look down it causes more saliva to go into your harp which will clog reeds and make them unresponsive which is SO MUTHAFLIPPIN’ FRUSTRATING!! I HATE IT WHEN I TRY TO PLAY A HOLE AND NO SOUND COMES OUT! Wow. That felt good. Guess I needed to vent a bit. Had it happen like 5-10 times at the last harp gig I did, lol. Sooooo frustrating.

I play standing, sitting, walking, lying down, driving… PLAY ON!!! :metal:t3:

7 Likes

Lots of good ideas. Thank you. Far too cold now to play while walking - not sure what minus 7 celsius would do to a harmonica! Might try in the spring when it gets warmer!! But will give the playing lying down a go.

3 Likes

Have been walking in back yard and also standing and moving my feet to the beat when practicing. Feels freer :grinning:

4 Likes