Stage Right 15 Watt Mods?

I’m interested in getting a Stage Right 15 Watt Amp. Is it good for blues harp, or are there recommended mods to make it more harp worthy?
Thanks

2 Likes

Hi Rob @RobW

An inexpensive addition would be, for example, the Joyo American Sound effects pedal. I have one and it is well worth the 30 € that it cost me.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I’m wondering about feedback problems and if it needs something to get overdrive, breakup and that Chicago blues sound.

3 Likes

Hi Rob @RobW

Feedback can always occur and Jason Ricci has a recent YouTube video about how to reduce the chances of it happening to you.

As far as the effects go: that’s what this pedal is made to do. It simulates a famous Fender amp that can produce the “American Sound” even when played through a simple PA system.

Regards,

4 Likes

Hello @Slim,
I can’t really use a pedal.
Is it used within a song like the pedals on a piano, or throughout the song?
Maybe a stupid question for outsiders! But if you use it for the entire song, wheelchair user could lock the pedal to get the effect.

Thanks for your answer :smiley:!

Bye Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Hi Astrid @AstridHandbikebee63

Not a silly question, but rather a poor explanation! It is used either throughout the song or only when desired or not at all. It has a button that is used to turn it on for a different sound, or to turn it off when no special effect is desired (and then the harp signal goes unchanged into the PA system or whatever is being used).

The button is basically an “on/off” switch. It can be activated with he player’s foot, hand or even by someone else.

People like @HarpinBobbyMcB or myself would use our rock-hard numbskulls to activate it :skull: :japanese_goblin:

Regards,

3 Likes

Well explained @Slim! Oh yes, I would also have a hard skull to offer… :joy:

Just looked at it and I’m back on my feet from the photos… I’m very blonde today :woman_shrugging:.

Doesn’t that go from the microphone into the part and then from there into the amplifier? I ask because my microphones are connected with XLR cables. Do you have to use an adapter then?
It’s easier with a guitar :wink:.

3 Likes

I do not have any experience wth XLR cables, but I’m sure it is not difficult or complex to do – someone else here surely will jump in and clear this up for us “technolgically challenged” oldies. :smiley_cat:

1 Like

OK, Rob @RobW , check out this video concerning the Joyo American Sound effects pedal:

Is this what you want to have for an inexpensive effects pedal?

Regards,

5 Likes

@Slim, yes, there are suitable adapters for XLR to 6.3 jacks.
I now have time to take a look at the whole thing.

2 Likes

Hi Slim, thanks for the vid. It sounds good, although I’d prefer more bottom end and not so bright. Great piece of equipment for the price!
I’m still wondering how the Stage Right 15 Watt sounds with a harp and my Bulletini mic. I wonder if it’s similar to the 5 Watt version before it’s converted to a Stage 5 Ronnie Shellist version.

4 Likes

I have the Stage Right 50 watt tube amp. If you’re talking about the Stage Right 15 watt tube amp then yes, it’s very good for harp (if you have a good harp mike like the Bulletini). If it’s solid state then I don’t know. I’m not a big fan of pedals, a good harp, mike and amp is best.

3 Likes

@RobW Checkout this video. As @Slim said it great for use with an amp. It’s basically a fender amp in a peddle. It should sound great with the Stage Right amp.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info. It is the 15W tube amp, and I have a Bulletini.

3 Likes

Thanks, Dai.

2 Likes

I need to get something with that Heumann element in it. Might eventually get Greg to make me a nice wooden one.

2 Likes

Those wooden bullets look very cool!

3 Likes

Joyo with good quality solid state mini amp is the way to go. Great sound, compact and inexpensive.

2 Likes

Looks like both the 15 watt and 50 watt Stage Right tube amps are discount priced (and actually available) right now. If you don’t mind used, both Musician’s Friend and Guitar Center have a used 50 watt (SB-12) for under $350.

1 Like

Holy Crap @RobW that’s a screaming deal for a 15W amp with tubes and a celestion speaker AND spring reverb!?!? I’m seeing it for $238!?!?

Dude!! Thank you for calling this to my attention. I’ve been looking for a good amp like this in this price range. My 5W Blackheart has been sorta BARELY cutting it at my lil club gigs (I’m also miking the amp through the PA - but that increases propensity for feedback.)

I"m with @KeefDeBluesHarpRobot good harp, good mic, good amp is best and the fact that this thing has a real spring in it too just blows my mind.

I’m thinking about doing a shootout vid of some amps in this price range. Maybe the State Right 15, the Pignose HOG 20… Anything else in this size/price range?

Everything else I’m looking at for 15W tube amps is like $500 and up…

3 Likes