Stage Right 15 Watt Mods?

The spring reverbs on these 2 tube amps are not the best, but they should be more than enough for amped harp (I don’t have mine all the way up). If you want to play surf guitar, you still need a pedal or something.

2 Likes

@KeefDeBluesHarpRobot know of any other tube amps (or good sounding harp amps 10W+) for this kinda price. Seems unreal to me. HOG 20 is the only comparable one I’ve found in my searches…

2 Likes

Don’t know of any other amp like these in that price range.

1 Like

What’s your opinion on the Bulletini.

2 Likes

How good is the Stage Right 15watt amp for harp.

2 Likes

@KeefDeBluesHarpRobot I just bought a StageRight 15 to do a shootout with the Hog 20 but I noticed the Hog 30 has a lot more nobs than the Hog 20. I was thinking, you have both don’t you? If so, is the Hog30 way better than the Hog 20 in your opinion?

2 Likes

The Bulletini is a great beefy sounding mic in a small package. I personally find the HB-52 a bit more comfy. I’ve tried using both on gigs with a 5W amp and I ended up liking the HB-52 better because it cut through the mix more and was more comfy in my hands and I like the feel of the volume knob better.

Neither of them are quite as good as my vintage Astatic JT-30 with Japanese crystal element, but for the money they’re both awesome mics. Bulletini is one of the most venerable mics out there. And Greg Heumann is an awesome guy.

1 Like

I only have the Hog 20. The Hog 30 is not only louder but it has separate bass, midrange and treble knobs while the Hog 20 has only a “tone” knob which means just treble (both have a “Squeal” or distortion knob). This is an important consideration if you have a wide range of mikes. That JT-30 you have with the Japanese crystal element is a good example. The element probably has “Aiwa” stamped into the metal and possible a small sticker that says “Calrad” over that. I have this element and while it has lots of fuzz, it’s very bright with few lows. The Hog 30 is much more capable of adjusting the tone of that element than the Hog 20. I was going to get the Hog 30, then I saw the Stage Right 15 watt tube but ended up getting the Stage Right 50 watt tube. PS: I’m still not sure why you spent $300 on the JT-30, unless it’s some super rare shell that I don’t know about that seems like way too much.

2 Likes

Luke please do a feature on amps similar to the Pignose HOG2O.

1 Like

@AstridHandbikebee63 if you are thinking of using an amp with XLR cables you will need to get a transformer to plug into the amp. It changes the mic signal from low impedance to high.

1 Like

@Luke have you looked at the harp train 10. It’s about £300 in the UK. It sounds pretty good.

1 Like

Hello @Dai,
no, I didn’t need it, an adapter was sufficient. Everything in the green. :wink:

1 Like

@Luke

1 Like

Thanks that exactly the question l had - can it be used with a pa?
Cheers
Robert :canada:

3 Likes

Hi Robert @robertchartrand3104,

Yes it can be used with a P.A. system.

Regards,
– Slim :dark_sunglasses:

3 Likes

@KeefDeBluesHarpRobot I picked up a HOG 20 sounds great! Though not really much louder than my 5W Blackheart. I have a Strymon reverb pedal with stereo outputs so my last harp gig I sent one output to the Blackheart and one to the Hog 20. I was also using the Jason Ricci mic and Harp Attack pedal I just picked up. Sound was an order of magnitude above anything I’ve acheived in the past. Still need more power though.

WOW! The StageRight 50 only $384! Do you love it? Is it heavy? I picked up the Monoprice 15W 1x12 it sounds pretty OK. Looks gorgeous. Need to spend more time with it.

PS went back and checked and Dennis Gruenling charged me $270 for 1960’s Astatic JT-30 with Japanese crystal element. Shipping to Hawaii was $43.

@robertchartrand2104 Yes I’m searching for amps in the $300 price range so that I can do a shootout. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Glad you like the Hog 20. I have never used the 15 watt Stage Right but the reviews were excellent. Could be like when I first got the 50 watt Stage Right, was not impressed initially but after tweaking the dials quite a bit I got it sounding great for harp (see photo for settings, not how most people would dial 'em), Didn’t like the “Stage Right” name so I changed it slightly, weighs about 45 pounds. Have never seen them priced that low. That’s not a bad price for the JT-30, Dennis is one of the top builders (and players).

2 Likes
1 Like

Question, have you considered an Orange solid state combo amp? Crush 12, Crush 20, Crush 35? 6, 8, and 10 inch speaker. Three band eq, clean and dirty two channel amp.

@johnreffitt1962 bought himself and Orange Micro terror he seems happy with it.

2 Likes