The Case for Harmonica Cases

If you have only one or two harmonicas, you can just put them in your pocket and just cruise to your destination, and rock the spot.

But as you grow in your harmonica playing, you will probably add more and more keys to your collection (so that you don’t have to sit out on the songs that you don’t have a harp for! Or worse yet, play in the wrong key like I do at the beginning of this vid!)

I have had several different strategies for organizing my harmonicas over the years, and have discovered a CASE is the PLACE to store harmonicas!

Here’s what I’ve done in the past:

Way back in the last century, when I was a wee lad, I found a backgammon box that my harmonicas fit inside of, and I used that for my case. They fit horizontal, so I would look at the front of the combs (where my Lee Oksars’ have nice big key labels.)

This is the same orientation that a case like the Hohner 12 Harmonica case uses, a case which I have owned 2 of in my lifetime, which used to look something like this:

They have 12 spaces for regular diatonic harmonicas, and then they have one space for a big chromatic harmonica. Having 12 slots makes a lot of sense since there a 12 standard keys that you need to have to be able to play in any song a band leader might call.

Since I don’t play chromatic harmonica, I’ve found that the space for the chromatic is handy for a microphone, or any other harmonies I may have above the 12 standard keys. For example, I always have owned a Low F harmonica because the regular F harmonica is so high. Or perhaps a few Natural Minor tuned harmonicas.

The point here being that the chromatic space in the Hohner 12 case provides a great space for your extras, whether that’s a few extra harps you have besides the 12 keys, or a microphone, or a small flask of whiskey. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Inside my first Hohner 12 case, the foam started degrading after some years, and I’d go to play a harmonica and inhale some tiny pieces of foam! Blah! Yuk! Not fun!

There are companies who make custom foam inserts, and some people suggested I could just use the case and buy new foam, but, being a typical lazy American I just bought a whole new case.

It seems like now Hohner is making different style of “flex cases” that have shoulder straps and come in various sizes at different price points. They look pretty cool. Anyone tried one yet?

There have been times that I haven’t owned any case at all, and I’ve just clicked all my Lee Oskars together with their interlocking cases, and taken them to the gig. You can kind of see in this photo how they can interlock, and I’d just bring a few big racks to the gig.

LO slide together

I’ve been able to get through gigs with this setup, but it ended up being a lot more challenging to find where to put my existing harp back, and where to find the new key, if the band leader wasn’t leaving much time between songs. If you’re going to play live with a band a highly recommend buying or building some kind of case.

Lee Oskar also makes a nice little soft case that holds 8 harmonicas which I’ve owned several of.

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 11.55.56 AM

They’re fine, and you can kind of tilt the harmonicas in their elastic straps up at a 45 degree angle so you can see the front of the comb. But, 8 seems like such a random number to me. Why not just make it 12? So these end up sitting in the corner holding a few harps I don’t play much, gathering dust…

One of the great things about buying a set of harmonicas that comes with a case, besides the fact that you get a better pice per harmonica is……well, you get a CASE!

Here’s a couple of examples of those:

The Hohner Special 20 Set of 5

The Fender Blues Deluxe Set of 7

These days, I’m using a big honking case that Seydel makes. You can see in my photo that I’m really bad about not putting harmonicas back in the case when I’m done with them (they’re strewn all about my house and car.)

This case works great for me because it has enough spaces for me to have all 12 keys, all 12 natural minor keys, my 5 low keys, my microphone, and then I put a few of melody maker tunings in the slot where the chromatic would go.

I love this case. It works great for me with the sideways orientation of the harmonicas because Lee Oskar is so awesome with their key labeling. I have all my regular harmonicas with their 1st position key showing because I am used to doing the quick “alphabet math” in my head to determine which harp I want depending what position I want to play in.

Also, you can just google custom harmonica cases and all kinds of cool boutique harmonica case makers pop up. There are so many options!!!

So… what are you doing for a case?

Got something you love? Did you make it yourself? Did you buy it?

Please share and show us your cases!!!

6 Likes

I made my harp box from an old metal fishing tackle box I’ve had since a kid. I lined the trays with cardboard and have been using it for years. It’d gained so many signatures and stickers that I’ve sandblasted and re-painted it twice. Gone are the days when you could carry four harps and play with just about anyone. Now days we’re playing lots of flats, sharps, and minors along with the majors. Add in some spares (ever blown a reed during a gig?) and some kind of case is needed to haul that stuff. Depending on where we play, I also carry a little folding table to set my box on.
Here’s another view of my tackle.

7 Likes

Brah that is so badass! Homemade is the best kind for sure. Proven to add mojo to your harps. :slight_smile:
Rock on Trapper!
Aloha,
Luke

4 Likes

Our harp player (R.I.P.) had a wide leather belt he’d wear across his chest like a Mexican Bandit in an old a spaghetti western. Somehow it rolled up securely to become a bag of sorts for traveling or storing.
I’ve no idea where he got it, he may have even made it himself. I haven’t found anything similar as yet.

3 Likes

So awesome Dave! Yeah they do make harmonica belts. Here’s a nice one:

3 Likes

Of course, the one site I don’t visit! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:
Thanks Luke, they look great I think, and of course, very easy to grab the right key when on stage.
Our harp player was a very tall man, so he wore it across his chest very well, so it really suited him.
I’m getting pretty broke from buying all of these harmonicas though, perhaps I’ll have to ask my wife to crochet me one?:thinking::grimacing:

I did come across these, they only hold 3, but that might still work if I buy a few. They do come in larger sizes, but the price jumps up, and I’m not sure that they’d be as secure in the larger size.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005001888234628.html?spm=a2g0n.shopcart.0.0.9e7a38daEW4k2Z&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=Pc2Msite

1 Like

Hello @Dave_Dunn,
I don’t know if you’re doing yourself a favor by doing this.
If you’re unlucky and put your harps in there, will they always smell chemical and maybe even taste them? Ali stop, with shoes and clothes made of fabric you unfortunately often have it, but maybe it’s different here.
You live in Australia, wouldn’t there also be customs fees :thinking:?
Until last year, you could still order a few things from us without paying extra duty. It’s hardly worth it now.
If you buy cheap, you buy twice. And you are very enthusiastic about the “cartridge belt” :star_struck:. Then be patient and in 6 months it will be almost Christmas​:wink:. Is it your birthday this year? Would be a great gift :package:!
Be patient like playing the harp… :grin:
Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

3 Likes

Hi Astrid. You do make a great point, I have bought a jacket, and car mats that seem to never stop giving off fumes! Thinking now, perhaps I’d be better off with a padded lunchbox. I have something similar to these for my video camera, it is still lined with foam for protection, but being a lunchbox, it gives off no fumes.
For the price, perhaps I’ll order 1 only, just to smell it! :grin:
We don’t pay custom fees here, but recently, we’ve had to pay a 10% tax fee on eBay items if they’re located overseas, but they haven’t caught up with AliExpress yet! :slightly_smiling_face:
Thank you for raising that point, I do think you may be right, and I’d be wasting my money.
I do need something though, I seem to have my pockets and hands filled with harmonicas when moving from one seating area to another around the house and yard. It gets awkward when you add a drink, the phone, and a pipe. You never know when inspiration will strike, so I like to be prepared! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@Dave_Dunn,
Maybe a bike bag will help. There is a large selection here, in different sizes. I mean the smaller ones that you attach to the handlebars or the frame.
If you don’t buy a brand, you’ll get some as you need them. Also easy to open to air the harps. Microfiber cloths or a tea towel are sufficient to ensure that the harps do not come into contact.

4 Likes

That’s a great idea Astrid, I think I will have a look at the department store this afternoon, it has a large bicycle section. I have to get some prescriptions filled, and it’s right next door. Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

2 Likes

Look here from Germany plus customs outside the EU.
Must be the same one Luke showed you. There are so many possibilities… :grin:

With the C. A. Seydel Harp-Belt you can draw your harmonica as fast as Lucky Luke! The belt securely holds up to 8 harmonicas in elasticated fabric pockets. These are slightly open at the bottom for better ventilation.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ll buy a belt sooner or later I guess. Or perhaps I’ll make one, modify a guitar strap or leather belt. Leather work is something that interests me, it might be worth looking into.
I just looked for cheap versions, eBay, AliExpress, Kongon etc.

Today I looked at these lunchboxes for $15 and $17…

But with all I’ve spent on harmonicas, bought these for $1.50! :grin:

Oh well, we can’t have everything all at once, that would be no fun! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Just over $50 for the belt in your link, was around $100 for the belt in Luke’s link!
$50, I can do sooner than $100. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes, @Dave_Dunn,
that was my thought and Seydel has good quality.
Of course you don’t know how long the delivery time would be. So far and thanks to the pandemic, many products are difficult to deliver.
With mine you would have 50​:heavy_dollar_sign: left for a new harp… :joy:. You notice I’m responsible for the household budget :wink:.

2 Likes

Me too! :slightly_smiling_face:
My wife only has to say the word to get what she wants, but I’m the one that makes sure we never run out of anything.
Unfortunately, I’m also the one that tends to become obsessed with a new interest and go overboard, so it’s a fine balance!

3 Likes

How many harps you own? If 8 or less, I really do love the Lee Oskar soft cases.

I use them when I travel to see family and just wanna bring a few harps or on gigs where I’m only playing a few harps, and they’re like $20 with shipping.

Something to consider as an interim step before the harmonica belt.

4 Likes

That looks like what I need. The harps are steadily mounting, but I wouldn’t want to have them all in the same case, a couple of smaller cases would be better.
The link says $100, and doesn’t ship to Australia, but the options at the bottom are around $20, so I’ll look around.
I did notice in the reviews of a cheaper version, ‘it made my harmonicas taste terrible’, so I’ll look specifically for the Lee Oskar version.
Thanks Luke! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I was looking through some stuff I bought years ago, and came across these. They’re meant to put on your belt to hold torches, but are almost perfect for harmonicas! They were around $1 aud when I bought them, so hopefully they haven’t gone up in price too much, as I need a few more.
Could be an good option for harp players!

3 Likes

@Dave_Dunn, for my single harp, which I always have with me on the go, I use an old Nokia cell phone case, it fits perfectly and is even made of leather.
Perhaps there are others in your circle of friends or family that are the same size?
But the ones you are showing now are good too!

3 Likes

We think alike @AstridHandbikebee63 !

I use an old Samsonite camera bag to carry my gear.

It fits my three harps, along with a carrying case, polishing cloth, and tool kit with room for a couple of more harps in it still.

I can strap it to my belt if I want and it has clasps if I want to carry it over my shoulder with a strap.

Recycling works for me, for now anyway :rofl:

4 Likes