3 Likes

Gotta like dat!

Harp on :notes:

4 Likes

Thanks heaps

2 Likes

Thanks Slim

2 Likes

I did a reprise of The Impossible Dream on my Easttop Bb with a blown 4 blow… :wink:

I also subtitled the song in English and Spanish on this go around :notes::sunglasses: :point_down:

6 Likes

Nice one, Bobby @HarpinBobbyMcB !! :+1:

3 Likes

Yes @HarpinBobbyMcB, :clap::+1:.

3 Likes

I know I’m getting way ahead of myself, or you could say I’m putting the cart before the horse.
Normally I’m a very patient person, but with these damn harmonicas of mine, I want to be able to play all the most difficult tunes by tomorrow - or today actually, and it’s frustrating. The universe keeps conspiring against me and knocking me back down to reality.
That said, I’ve been practicing ‘dueling banjos’, using just one harmonica but trying to mimic both the guitar and banjo from deliverance. Conceivably it may be easier with two harmonicas and two people, but I’ve been playing double notes for the guitar and single notes for the banjo and alternating from one to the other as per the movie.
It’s difficult but so much fun and for me, good practice, with the switching back and forth.
Any suggestions to deal with that pesky universe will be gratefully received.

2 Likes

If it’s any consolation, I know just how you feel! At the same time now as I reach about 2 1/2 years of playing the harmonica, I realize that something Luke said way back when is so true:

Sometimes even a single note played extremely well can make the difference between a so so sounding song and an amazing one.

I’m sure he said it a little better but this is the idea.

Lately, rather than just trying to rack up the number of songs in my play list which is always fun and challenging, now I find myself practicing basic scales of different kinds in different ways and focusing on the sound of each note.

Sounds like you are already doing great! I suppose all I could add is to focus on QUALITY more than QUANTITY :notes: :sunglasses:

Harp on!

3 Likes

Thanks, HarpinBobby, Quality more than quantity sounds like good advice. I probably knew that already in the back of my mind but I’m impatient with harp playing. Interesting about the ‘single note’ theory, I had not considered that.
I wax and wane with my enthusiasm as well as my skill level. I don’t always play better this week than I did last week. Currently in wane mode.
Thanks for the reply and all the best with your harmonica journey.

3 Likes

I think we all go through that sinking feeling when, after feeling pretty good about our playing, all of a sudden we sound like a bad flock of squawking geese during mating season :duck: :duck:

Been there, done that…

Still happens :joy:

3 Likes

I just got myself a Big River Harp in Bb. It sounds great!

I am looking for some great songs in F to play cross-harp.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Links to the tab would help also.

Thanks!

3 Likes

One of my favorite songs to play on my Bb is straight harp. It gets up pretty high up on the register.

I found these tabs which vary a bit from how I play it, but are pretty close: :point_down:

The Impossible Dream

2 Likes

After saying in a recent post that I would like to play the intro to ‘Take the long way home’ by Supertramp, but it is too hard, I couldn’t help myself, and have been having a go at it. I think it’s meant to be in F but now that I have a C harp, (Against all sensible advice for a beginner) I thought it worth a try. All up, it’s not as hard as I first thought, but those draw bends are very tricky. With an hour of practice, I can play it badly, so that’s a start.

3 Likes

Ha: I am 66 years old and I remember my father playing Jack Jones’ version of Impossible Dream on his Motorola console stereo. I recall it like it was yesterday.

I’ll give it a try. Hoping for some more suggestions, especially for cross harp.

4 Likes

@PapaCurly, Which tab are you using for Take the Long Way Home?

2 Likes

Good luck Mate, I’m an old guy too, 63 years. This song is our vintage.

-4 long hold
-5 -4’ -4
-4’ -4’ /-4 -4’ -3 -2

-3 -2 2 -2 -2
2 -2 -2
2 -2 -3’

-3 -2 2 -2 -2
2 -2 -2
2 -2 -1

-4 long hold
-5 -4’ -4
-5 -4’ -4
-5 -4’ -4
-5 -4’ / -4 -4’ -3 -2

-3 -2 2 -2 -2
2 -2 -2
2 -2 -3’

-3 -2 2 -2 -2
2 -2 -2
2 -2 -1

4 Likes

I loved supertramp. Thanks and 63 is NOT OLD

4 Likes

Well, that tells me something about you Toog, I apologise for the inference and stand corrected.
Your profile picture appears to be a rare and precious Western Australian bird. Does that say anything else about you?

3 Likes

No worries. If you tap on people’s names you ca n expand and view their profile. There’s a bit on mine and another bird picture. Picture is from my office window. Some don’t fill in the bio.

4 Likes