What songs are you all currently learning/jamming along to?

Hope everyone’s had a great week. I quit my job last monday, so I’ve had some extra time to take out the harp, when I’m not looking for a new job.

Currently I’m learning to play a few songs from The Sims 2, which is one of my favourite hobbies besides the harmonica, and I’m also playing along to some Rumba/Flamenco backing tracks (that is mostly because my best friend is Spanish and I like the rhytms)

So what songs/tunes etc. are you playing currently?

6 Likes

I’m loving Hallelujuah in the B2B single notes module, it’s (for me) pretty difficult and I’m nowhere near being able to play it in the fast speed yet but learning to play a song I really like gives me no end of enthusiasm/motivation.
Dug.

8 Likes

Hello @Dug and @Vibe,
I’m currently learning and practicing “The Godfather” from the movie “The Godfather” because I’m almost through with the BtB and am looking for new songs. I’ve had to take a few weeks off for family reasons and am checking to see if I’ve completed the course well. Like “Hallelujah”, the song also has a lot of feeling and I need it right now. To break in, I play a blues by feel and without instructions. Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

6 Likes

Hi @Dug and @AstridHandbikebee63

I love those songs! Hallelujah is very beautiful and Godfather is a great theme

6 Likes

We’re working on Louis Jordan’s ‘Caldonia’ – a jump blues tune. We currently have it arranged for three harmonicas but are expanding the arrangement to try and cover the entire band (sax, trumpet, piano, double bass, drums, vocal) via harmonica. We’ll probably add some basic percussion to cover the drum and a rolling 12 bar bass line will replace the double bass and the keyboards’ left hand. ‘Rhythm’ and ‘lead’ harmonicas will cover the sax and trumpet (and the keyboards’ right hand). Vocals are pretty basic (it’s jump blues after all). So we’ll finish up with three or four harmonica parts and vocals/percussion.

The joys of a blues harmonica ensemble!

6 Likes

Hello @Maka,
that sounds very interesting. If you play it, I would be very happy to hear the song recorded by you. :notes: No, I’m not like @Luke, green with envy​:nauseated_face:… :grin:, but you get my admiration :+1: for it. I will eagerly await. Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

5 Likes

Tom Petty-You Don’t Know It Feels. Fun song for a rookie!

5 Likes

If I can master Whammer Jammer I can feel happily accomplished. LOL

5 Likes

Sounds very cool Maka.

Please post it when you’re done.

1 Like

I just started learning “Wrapped Up in You” by Garth Brooks a week ago. My teacher, Todd, tabbed it up until the end of the first harp solo. This song is a little bit of a challenge for me, as most of Terry McMillan’s stuff is. I used to get DMs and comments from blues players in Modern Blues Harmonica on Facebook that Terry is an easy harmonica player to imitate or that he’s doing basic stuff that anybody could teach me. Yeah, let them try any of Terry’s stuff with Garth Brooks, all playing lip pursed, and see if they still think his stuff’s easy.

4 Likes

Hi @Vibe !
I’m currently learning “Lost John” by Sonny Terry. It’s pretty difficult 'cause you can’t find the tabs on the Internet and there is a lot of tongue-blocking. But I’m determined ! Anyway, have fun with the Sims 2 songs !

1 Like

I was working on I Hear them All by Old Crow Medicine Show, but I can confidently say I’ve got one that under my belt. It’s turned into my jam track :laughing: It’s sort of funny how solos or songs that you have been grinding out eventually start to just flow.

Hoping to meet up soon with my guitarist / singer brother to make a recording of it together. :crossed_fingers:

My NEW main project has been learning Gone Wanderin’ by Jackie Green. It’s got a lot of single notes and it’s fast, which is fun challenge for me. I’ve got a list of songs that I work through at the same time but there is always one that I focus on. I find it helps to diversify a bit - like learning multiple subjects at the same time to give your brain something new to work on, I feel like there is some science to that.

By the way : I love reading these posts for inspiration, always awesome to see what everyone is working on!

Cheers!

2 Likes

Lovely song Hallelujah, it’s on my bucket list. Currently learning the 3 solos in Heart of Gold. Great tutorial from Luke helps a lot and I sure do need a lot of help. Long May You Run, is next if I can find a good tutorial. Hallelujah hopefully after that if all goes to plan. Imagine is a beautiful song also but I’m starting to get ahead of myself.

1 Like

Hello @PapaCurly, you will learn the song Hallelujah in a while!

I was able to play it after the BTB course ended and played it last Christmas after about a year of learning.

It’s good when you set yourself important goals! Then you know what you are investing your time in.

Regards Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

1 Like

Hello Everyone,

I hope he doesn’t mind me doing this, but our forum contributor @stevenlois1 has just today (April 15,2023) published a great little video where he is doing an informal, spontaneous jam with a keyboard player on the street in Scottsdale, Arizona. Check it out !! :+1:

Crossfire

Nice work, Steve !! :boom:

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Yeah, very, very good @stevenlois1 and companion! Thanks @Slim!

Regards Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

3 Likes

Thank you for posting this Slim.
it’s always fun jamming with new people.

4 Likes

I agree, Steve @stevenlois1 !

Best regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Here is a jam from Sedona.

1 Like

I just started a few days ago. I’m really on like hour 4 trying to learn. My ultimate goal right now is to learn Got No Shame by Brother Cane. If any of you already know of this song, please contact me. I am so new I have no idea how and so far I haven’t been able to get the key by googling that song. I only have a C harp to start with anyway, and if I had someone sitting on my couch, showing me, I still probably couldn’t get close to playlist song. But the goal is ago. Right? Lol.

I am having similar issues with Hoochie Coochie Man as recorded by Eric Clapton. He was supposed to have recorded that in G so my C harp should work but I can’t figure out the opening Notes.

Cheers to everyone!

4 Likes