Will Wilde

Is anybody familiar with this guy? Evidently, he’s a British chap.

I just stumbled across this. God, it’s hot!!!

6 Likes

Hello @DitchParrot, oh yes, this is hot. That makes you want much, much more, “Hendrix of the Harmonica”. Yes, he is british.
Greetings from Astrid

4 Likes

Will Wilde is quite well-known in Europe and even has his own signature model Seydel harps with his “Wilde Tuning” (click that link for more info). I own one (an 1847 model) and it is the usual top quality from Seydel.

Unfortunately, and Will Wilde himself says this, the harp is primarily designed for playing in 2nd position. Although playing in other positions is possible, the tuning layout makes it more difficult to do. So if you are a person who really often plays, for example, 3rd position or 4th position then you probably will be disappointed and should select either the usual Richter tuning layout harp or a PowerBender or PowerDraw tuning layout harp.

Will also has his own Seydel signature models with “Wilde Minor Tuning”.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Hi @DitchParrot. Will Wilde is a great player. I found his work a month or so ago when I was looking at Brendan Powers’ powerbender tuning.

4 Likes

Listening to Will Wilde makes me want to either try harder or quit all together. Listen to his LAZY and FREE BIRD when you get a chance. He is something else!

8 Likes

Trapper you’re right on. I was in a bit of a slump then discovered Will. He re-energized me with his amazing energy and style.

Enjoy all and stay safe,

Robert
The Great White North

6 Likes

That Freebird solo is inhuman! How can somebody possibly move that much air in 4 1/2 minutes?

7 Likes

Hello @DitchParrot,
that’s the one question… :grin:. I would be interested in the tabs to (also) find out whether there is enough air. Greetings from Astrid

3 Likes

Trapper I couldn’t agree more - Will Wilde is a monster and re-energized my interest in blues harp. :innocent:

3 Likes

Woooooo hoooooo! Roger that. I had not been aware of the Freebird recording. SO EPIC. Thanks for sharing this brah. I’ll be sharing that vid A LOT!!!

Thanks,
Luke

4 Likes

Yes, Will Wilde plays what I would describe as “heavy metal harmonica.” And he does it quite well.

Don.

4 Likes

He does it quite well. ?

1 Like

Yes. He does it very well. He is one of the newer harmonica players you should know.
Newer being newer than folks like Little Walter, Sonny Terry and those older players that built the foundation we all strive to play on. Kim Wilson, the singer and harp player for The Fabulous Thunderbirds is another. And of course Magic Dick from the J. Giles Band is another. I’m sure there are a lot of others. I’m just putting out there the first ones I can think of besides Will Wilde.

In the end, enjoy…
Don.

4 Likes

If you like Will Wilde, have a hunt around Youtube for Jason Ricci. Another interesting modern harmonica player

7 Likes

Just came across this really cool acoustic tune by him and his wife.

5 Likes

Very cool find, @DitchParrot !!

3 Likes

Hello @DitchParrot,
very good, you can go along just fine. Wow! Great thanks!
Best Regards from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

3 Likes

I believe Dani is Will’s sister.

2 Likes

Yes, she is the sister! :smiley:

2 Likes

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up, folks.

3 Likes