Introduce Yourself!

Hi
I’m Michele from South Australia. I’ve just started your course and am really looking forward to becoming a boss. I’m really enjoying your lessons so far.
Thanks

6 Likes

Hello @suncraftshades,
welcome here with us and have fun becoming boss. I like your name and you can tell that you also have sun in your heart. I send you greetings from currently gray Germany with “wintry” temperatures of 12 degrees. Astrid

2 Likes

Hi Michele, (@suncraftshades ) Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy the lessons as much as I am.

2 Likes

Aloha Michele!

Welcome to the forum. Glad you’re digging the lessons. You will become a boss!

Rock on,
Luke

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Dr.Bob.
Greetings from Montreal, Canada.
Any and all tips for a beginner Harpist are always welcomed.
Great to be part of this forum.

5 Likes

Welcome @Dr.Bob. Glad to have you on the forum! :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello @Dr.Bob, I am sending you a warm welcome to Canada from Germany. If you have any problems or questions, let them know. So far there has usually been a solution and, as is well known, there are no wrong questions. :smiley: Many greetings from Astrid and good luck and fun with your harp and us. :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Hi folks. Good to be here among other harp playing freaks… A long time ago I played in a blues band did a few gicks too and so but then got married with kids and so on. Then after retirement from a ”good job in the city” we got the band together and now I’m trying to really learn how to play the I think I should be able to. I play guitar, drums, piano and sing or try to. So far I have taken advantage of the internet little by little but there is so much available I some times feel I get lost in the web. I really believe that making music worth all the effort you put in it. Sometimes it all works out and you can make other people happier and share your good vibes.

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @harpfreak53! You are already a musician, so you have a leg up already. :smiley:

I play guitar as well. It’s a bit easier when learning your second instrument. Should be pretty familiar territory playing three already.

2 Likes

Hi Luke.
I have a Silver Star which I now realize was not a great choice. I’m having trouble with leaking air. I do have it deep in my mouth. I’ve tried blocking my nose and that is definitely part of the problem but its still really bad. Any tips or do I need to upgrade?

3 Likes

Hello @suncraftshades,
when you introduced yourself you wrote that you had only just started learning to play the harp. I started in September and it was the same for me for the first few weeks. You can first hold your nose with your free hand (I never did) or consciously concentrate on spending your nose. As described in the lessons, it is important to inhale and exhale deeply and relax before the game. The whole thing will get better from week to week with training and it will go into your subconscious. Your many unknown (small) muscles need training, even when playing the harp. Many greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

4 Likes

Thanks. I’m not giving up.
I just love it.

4 Likes

Hi Michele @suncraftshades

I sorry to say this but I think an upgrade to a better quality harp is also needed. The Silver Star is not known as one of the better or even average harps that the Hohner company manufactures. Their Special 20 or any of their Marine Band models are good starting points. In general you can be almost certain that when buying harps from Hohner or the Seydel companies the more expensive the product, the better is its quality and playability.

Regards,
– Slim

2 Likes

I’m inclined to agree. No 2 is definitley faulty. I’ve covered 1 and 3 and still have trouble getting a sound out of it. I’ve ordered a Lee Oskar.
If I can’t get a decent note out of that then it’s the operator.
Regards
Michele

3 Likes

Hi all I am bob been playing guitar about 4 or 5 yrs took up the harp for awhile quit. Now back again can t let it beat me is anyone here from Balt . Like to find someone to jam with

2 Likes

Hi @bob. Welcome to the forum. I’m a guitarist as well, learning the harp. Still very much a beginner.

I hope you find someone to jam with. It’s a great way to accelerate your progress. I’m in Arizona, so it’s a bit of a drive to jam together. :wink:

2 Likes

Hello! My name is Adam and I’ve been wanting to learn how to play the harmonica for quite a while. I have a deep appreciation for music but never learned how to play and instrument. For whatever reason I’m drawn to learn the harmonica and I love hearing blues riffs coming out of something so tiny. Really excited to learn and see where it takes me. So excited and nice to meet you all

3 Likes

Hi @hiner.adam. Welcome to the forum. The harp is a very expressive instrument. You’ll enjoy the journey! Have fun!

2 Likes

Hi I am Dave From Northern Ontario Canada .68 no musical experience took up harmonica 17 months ago on a whim & play every day . Got these lessons as a gift from my wife and daughter . Just got to the point of realizing how terrible I actually sound but in spite of all that this instrument ( I call the Devils harp ) has got a grip on me and I cant put it down.

5 Likes

Hi Luke and friends! I’m in Quebec Canada. Wanted to get into harmonica for a long time and found harmonica.com and compared to other courses was the clearest way to go for a newbie. I love it!
Blues guitarist background, also working on piano lessons. Gear freak :slight_smile:
Been here only a week or so and have already learned soo much. I’m seriously addicted. Thanks Luke. Your teaching style fits me perfectly!

6 Likes