Introduce Yourself!

Hello @kenmschy,
I like such own and honest ideas! Welcome at our place!

I totally understand that listening to the saxophone gave you the idea of the harp.
My dad was a very good saxophonist and clarinetist. I never had the opportunity to learn an instrument before, but I always missed it. That’s why I came to the harp. In addition, it is so small and handy.
For a good year of learning now I have no regrets and it continues to develop deeper and more detailed.

Just staying tuned and relaxed is a good start.
Have fun and enjoy conquering this little mystery harp.

Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

4 Likes

Thank you, @pnicholas1967 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you, @burpsan :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Vielen danke @Slim !!
Yes, there are a lot of things to learn. Many thanks for your warm greetings :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @kenmschy !

4 Likes

Hi,
My name is Pete. I live in Birmingham UK. I am just over two weeks into the course. As I am retired I can give the course a lot of time and over the past 17 days I am cracking on and have reached the lesson learning the song Yesterday by the Beatles. I love the course and I am happy with the pace and my progress so far.

One of my concerns and frustrations is that I tent to produce a lot of saliva which is constantly clogging up my harmonica. Has anyone a solution for this issue. I fully understand the Deep Relaxed Mouth position and I am putting this technique into practice. I am using the recommended Lee Oskar C diatonic harp. Any suggestions!!!

Regards,
Pete

4 Likes

Hi Pete @petermurtagh61

Welcome to the forum.

My suggestions are to play while attempting to hold your gaze/head so that you are not looking down but rather level and straight ahead. Additionally you can try tilting the back of the harp upwards.

Lets us know if this helps or if you already are doing these things.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Hi Slim,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I’ve tried looking up slightly but this makes no difference. I am holding the harp with the comb facing down at 45 degrees to isolate single notes as advised in the course. I haven’t tried tilting the back of the harp upwards. I’ll give it a go tomorrow and see what happens!

Cheers,
Pete

4 Likes

@rich3 Welcome to the forum my friend! I used to be a street musician in Santa Cruz for a few months circa 1998 I think? Lived on the river bank and played on the main drag - back when it was still a small town. Can’t wait to hear how you like Beginner to Boss.

@alberto YOU GOT THIS MAN!! You might have more a gift for music than you THINK. Have you considered my Beginner to Boss course?

@T_Chaitanya welcome to the course my friend! You might dig these videos if you haven’t seen them already. Give a shout whatever questions you have!

@bowhunter1.ct Hey Corey I think I may have just communicated with you inside the course, so glad that you have joined the forum here. Welcome!

@kenmschy I’m like you. I didn’t have a high aptitude for learning musical instruments - things came slow and arduously, but as someone pointed out to me recently, “yeah, but you had the PASSION gift.” That is true. If you love it and take it as seriously as a pro, then you are a pro to me. Rock on.

@petermurtagh61 - my advice would’ve been the same as @Slim’s, and hearing your response I’d say look straight up at the ceiling! Or try lying on your back when you play. Also having a glass of water at your side and taking sips could help. Keep us posted how it goes! And WELCOME to the forum.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @petermurtagh61 !

4 Likes

Thanks for the welcome! I can see this is going to be a whole lot of fun! So much advice and warmth I’m feeling already!

6 Likes

Hi, i’m Alessandro and i’ve started beginner to boss course few weeks ago.
I’m really happy to be part of this.
Thanks and happy music to all.

5 Likes

@alessandro.d84 Welcome to the family!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Alessandro @alessandro.d84 !!

If you have any problems, issues or questions about playing the blues harp then this is the place to find assistance and answers. The forum has an amazing collection of information concerning all sorts of topics related to the blues harp.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @alessandro.d84 !

4 Likes

hi everyone,
after many years of owning a harmonica (that I can’t play past super basic, Yet!) I’m doing the Beginner to Boss
looking forward to learning with you all.

7 Likes

Hi. Welcome. Get ready for a rewarding experience with lots of fun and helpful people.

4 Likes

Anyone know what key Tom Petty is paying on the song Fault Lines. Possibly B or G#m?

#jllevine1 Guess G#m
Chords E, F#, G#m7, B
bVI, bVII, I, bIII

Hi all you harp lovers -
My name is Pake, a 50 year old Zen Buddhist and Yoga teacher from Sweden, who loves blues, ska and reggae, and the sound of the harp! Unfortunately, I did miss patience as a virtue as a young man, and since I didn’t play like Jimi Hendrix, BB King, Muddy Waters, Little Walter and some other guys I just threw the guitar and harmonica away. I decided that I couldn’t learn and didn’t understand music, and settled to just listen to - and love - music.
Now at the age of 50, and after a lot of meditation, my level of patience, tolerance and being ok with not-knowing, has grown, so I thought it might be the right time to pick up a harmonica and try to play.
Actually it was a love affair with a woman singer-songwriter who wanted to jam with me in some way that got me on track. She disappeared, but she left me a harmonica. What better way to start a blues journey?
After searching YouTube for beginner lessons, I stumbled over Luke, JP Allen and Harmonica.com - and fell in love with the way you guys are teaching the harmonica and always let us rookies feel that we actually can do something with the harp! So thank you sincerely - it’s been a great small baby steps so far. I really enjoy this!
With love -
Pake

6 Likes