Introduce Yourself!

Hi, I am Colin, I am an accordion player and have recently bought a guitar. Now I want to learn to play Harmonica to play breaks between verses and chorus. I have a Hohner blues harp in A
Col

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @g-bro !

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @PapaCurly !

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @BumblebeeSlim !

2 Likes

@g-bro welcome to the course man! I play bass and harp at the same time too. It’s like patting your head and rubbing your tummy! Fire away, what songs you wanna know about?

@BumblebeeSlim yeah the bass amp will work. The Hog amps are good, inexpensive amps for harmonica. I’d recommend the HB-52 over the green bullet. Less shrill, more badass, volume knob is a lifesaver.

@pupsdad welcome to the forum Bryant! Congrats on your decision. I started on guitar before harp too. That experience will help you tons!

@COL I’m “reeding” your post. :wink: Welcome to the forum! A harps are good fun.

1 Like

I confess I didn’t try very hard yet to figure it out, but thought someone might have already done it: Lovin’ Spoonful’s Daydream, what key harp?

Hi All, my name is Adrian, Ade for short (like AIDS but without the s thank you), I was born in the U.K. but have spent all of my adult life in Germany.

About 20 years ago I had a go at learning to play the harmonica but gave it up as a bad job.

Now I’ve been pensioned and can’t move around too much at the moment because my left foot has been amputated (the front half) good that it wasn’t the right foot, I can’t tap time with my left :wink:

Let’s see how it all works out, all good fun thus far :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Hi Ade @Eolas

Welcome to the forum !! You have come to the right place to get advice and tips and whatever that is related to harmonica. I too am in Germany (but born in the USA), in fact there are several of us living in DE.

Very sorry about the foot amputation ! Gute Besserung !! All of the elders here have one or more physical ailments/problems and I think that harmonica is our common distraction that helps us to stay on track !!

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Hey Luke, Thanks for the on the amps and mic. Both are available at my local music store, so I’ll be checking them out.

2 Likes

Hello @Eolas,
I also welcome you!
First of all, I wish you a speedy recovery and maximum possible rehabilitation!

Nice to have you here and cool that you have been living in Germany for a long time. Together with @Slim, we are already three from Germany. :slightly_smiling_face:
Yours truly was born here, I “emigrated” from East to West Germany only in 1988.

My specialty is that I nod the beat with my head. Why? I have been confined to a wheelchair for almost forty years. As you can see, nothing is impossible! Stick with the harp, the game not only clears your mind, but is absolutely liberating as you progress.

Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

6 Likes

My name is Randy Forrester. I am from Alabama. 69 years old and just started trying to play harmonica.
I have attempted before, guitar, mandolin, and violin. Hope to have better results with harmonica.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Randy @rkf !

I lived in Atlanta, GA for about 12 years and played blues harp in the local blues joints around the area. Nice that another person from the SE has joined. One of my favorite songs that I worked up and alternated singing & throwing in harp licks was “Alabama Bound” by Mance Lipscomb.

Best regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Greetings from Tulsa, Oklahoma !! (“livin’ on Tulsa Time”) Just thought I’d drop a quick note to say that I just bought the beginner course and am looking forward to a Hell of a ride. I do play a little guitar (12-string ) but have always loved R&B/Chicago. Harmonica
Got a set of Fender Blues deluxe harps and sprung for a Special 20 in C. Let’s see what happens…
PS → I’m an Old Fart (Boomer)
Bob - Tulsa

3 Likes

You sound a bit like me… (except that I’m older than you) The way I figure it-> Go for it-What the hell->it’s all about having fun… They’re not going to send you off to South East Asia or anything like that. Better than Vegg’ing out in front of the TV… HAVE FUN !!!

3 Likes

Hi!
Introducing myself here and trying to use the web site to read the comments and suggestions many members have provided. Previously played bluegrass banjo and old-time Appalachian fiddle. A lot of time spent hiking led me to this very portable light-weight instrument that works in with many music styles. Enrolled in the Boss course about a week ago–still in Module 2… So, don’t play any tunes yet. The nuances of the various techniques were quite unexpected and challenging. Looking forward to more of Luke’s enthusiasm and great lessons.
Regards,
Frank

4 Likes

My name is Bryan from Toronto. New to the forum. I have a question about gear. Wondering if anyone can give me the skinny on the hohner harp blaster mic…pros and cons. I’m considering purchasing it. Thanks. (if this is not the place to post this request pls give direction). Thanks again

2 Likes

Hi @Bryan5010,
unfortunately I don’t quite understand what you mean by “skinny”? Sorry, but I’m from Germany!

But I’ve been using the Hohner Harp Blaster SE since January 2023. I am very satisfied with that! It feels good in my hands, but I don’t have small hands.

I have a recording with this microphone on my Youtube channel. If you want, I’ll put the link here in the forum.

Welcome at our place!

Regards Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Thanks Astrid…“skinny” just means opinion. Thanks for yours. Are you satisfied with the tone it gives you? What kind of amp do you play through?
Bryan

3 Likes

Hello Bryan, very gladly, @Bryan5010!

Here you can hear a video with the microphone. Decide for yourself whether you like the sound!
As already mentioned, it feels good in the hands WITH the harp. It has a nice heavy quality with volume controls. The coupled XLR cable is not a hindrance. If you remove it, there is a small pouch for carrying the microphone.

I use the Behringer U-phoria UMC 204HD as an amplifier.
The Behringer U-phoria UMC 202HD would also be sufficient for the microphone. It’s a little cheaper.
Just compare and decide what’s right for you.

Regards Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Hello everyone. My name is Scott, I’m from the Boston area. I’m an absolute beginner and just hoping to learn something here.

6 Likes