Introduce Yourself!

74 and still standing :slightly_smiling_face: I’ve owned a couple harmonicas for 35-40 years but never really learned to play well at all so they’ve been in a drawer until a couple weeks ago. I guess it’s finally time. I’ve picked up the BTB course and am enjoying unlearning the mistakes I was making before, to hopefully get me on track to play some blues for myself and a small group of friends. Special 20s in several keys, an old Honer BluesHarp, an old Honer Cross Harp in G (love that sound), and a Lee Oscar C. Luke is the best with his down to earth teaching skills. kudos!

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum Sir ! Great group of talented and knowledgeable people . Have a blast Sir

4 Likes

Welcome, lots of helpful people here

3 Likes

@Hogie.Harmonica yeah man great to meet you at SPAH, Peter! I appreciate your contributions here as well!

@cookkeller Great song borrowing from old Sonny Boy Williamson Bye Bye Birdie riff (and I’m sure others.) That old lesson on my Funkyharp channel is the only one I’ve done to date. I plan to teach it when I do make Blues course, maybe some time in the next few years. I taught it lipping, but he’s actually doing a fair amount of tonguing on that tune.

@Petru - welcome to the forum! Glad you’re on the journey. I occasionally get hairs ripped out as well. I would imagine a tight design like the Seydel Session Steel might be good for avoiding that? But I’d rather trim my whiskers than change harp brands. :rofl:

@RussSkyman good to see you in the forum my friend. Thanks for the kind words. All the best on your harmonica journey! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi!
I am Terje from the North of Norway.
I Joined the course today and hope to learn playing Harmonica within some months.

7 Likes

Welcome. You will love the course. The forum will help with any questions.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum ! It’s a great group of knowledgeable people ! Have fun

2 Likes

Hello:
DJF from New York City, my first time posting to a forum.
I’ve been lurking around for a few days and thought it’s time to take the plunge and introduce myself.
My harmonica instructor, David Kachalon, turned me on to this site. I first started learning with group lessons and now do both group and private lessons.
Looking forward to learning more and developing my sound with the help of this forum, so far so good. Many interesting topics.
Thanks, DJF

7 Likes

Hey I’m Eddie, I’m trying out harmonica, I’m a big Huey Lewis fan and I love to make new friends.

5 Likes

Welcome hope you have a blast !

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum , great group of knowledgeable people !

2 Likes

Ahhh a fellow Viking welcome Brother ! I am descended from Icelandic vikings

2 Likes

hey, Ken from Seattle area. Just starting the harmonica-!

7 Likes

Hi Ken. You’ll find its an incredible instrument thats got complexities you probably wont expect. You’ll find tons of help here.

5 Likes

:+1: :+1:

3 Likes

Welcome @terthoma Glad to have you aboard! :sunglasses:

@DJF thanks for saying hi and introducing yourself. You’ve got yourself an A1 teacher! congrats. :facepunch:t3: Glad you’re finding value in the forum. Rock on! :sunglasses:

@EddieB Right on my man! Yeah Huey Lewis is a GREAT player. Welcome to the forum!

@roodoginsumner welcome my friend! Hope you love it, and never quit!

3 Likes

Hello Luke and fellow Harmonica students. I’m Ricardo Valentin, Val for short. I’m 64 years young, but don’t look it. Originally from Brooklyn, N.Y. presently residing in the Florida Keys. My father was a musician, he played the stand-up acoustic bass, and the pie-anna. As such, I believe I’m musically inclined. Brought Luke’s course a few weeks ago, after researching other instructors. I brought the Fender Blues Deluxe, for starters, and plan on buying one of the other two recommended soon. I like the sounds of the Harmonica, and it’s portability. Enjoying the lessons so far. Thank you Luke, Val.

5 Likes

Hi from Australia. You might need to occasionally translate for me. PIE ANNA. Took me a while but I worked it out.
You’ve either got music or you haven’t. It can be taught but to be played with instinct and soul takes something thats inate or it aint.

3 Likes

Hello everyone!! And Whad up Luke. My name is Jimi and I am 44 years old and I live in and am from Washington DC. Luke I have to tell you, I have always been a huge music fan, i am a huge Dead and Phishhead. I used to play guitar, and unfortunately substance abuse caused me to lose my left pinky. Obviously that also ended my guitar playing days and I was incredible bummed about it. Well a few years later and a lot more sober :joy::rofl: (About two years ago) I decided to buy a harmonica and try to learn to play it. Thats when i found you Luke and Harmonica.com. And I must tell you, Its turned about to be one of the best things and the greatest enjoyments in my life. Honestly, I owe it all to Harmonica.com and you Luke. I can not thank you enough. You made learning the harmonica so much fun and exciting and cool and I just cant say enough good things about Luke and the course!!! Luke you really know your shit and are a fantastic harmonica player. You also have great taste in music!! Anyway, Im sure you’ve heard this countless times man but really you do such a great service with what you do and the amount of fun and good times you bring to people is priceless and you should be extremly proud of yourself and this company. So Bravo to you all for this amazing course and thank you again for everything you do!!

PS. I now play and love Lee Oskar’s Harmonicas…

Much Luv,

Jimi

6 Likes

One More thing! The first time I covered Sweet Virginia by the Rolling Stones in the Adams Morgan District of Washington DC at a bar on Open Mic night and brought the house down, was the closest Ive ever felt like a god!!! And I owe it all to you all and Harmonica.com. Luke you are the man!!! And futhermore being able to connect with you and thank you makes it even more sweet! Keep on doing what you do! Take care.

Jimi L.

3 Likes