Introduce Yourself!

This makes my day right here. This is what it’s all about guys. We’re building a harmonica FAMILY up in here! Hope y’all do connect outside the forum.
Rock on,
Luke

1 Like

Hallo zusammen, mein Name ist Astrid, lebe in Deutschland und bin 58 Jahre jung.
Seit ein paar Tagen “treibe” ich mich auch hier herum, genieße den Anfänger to Boss Kurs mit Luke. Nebenbei frische ich bei den Videos mein Englisch auf. :grinning:
Falls es beim Kurs schwierig mit dem Erlernen ist, stelle ich mich geistig auf Hawaii ein, was sehr hilft und entspannt. Ich freue mich auf euch. ALOHA!

3 Likes

Hi @AstridHandbikebee63 und ein herzliches Willkommen! :slightly_smiling_face:

Es gibt hier eine Menge sehr hilfreiche Tipps und Tricks, die aber leider nicht immer so einfach zu finden sind. Ich kann vielleicht mit dem Englisch auch hilfreich sein, denn Englisch ist meine Muttersprache, aber seit mehr als 25 Jahre wohne ich DE. :sunglasses:

Viel Spass und mit freundlichen Grüssen
– Slim

1 Like

Hallo Schlank, danke für die schnelle Antwort und deine Willkommensgrüße. :slight_smile: Vielleicht komme ich auf dein Englisch zurück? Zur Zeit klappt es bei den Lektionen noch gut, da Luke super bildlich erklärt, aber wer weiß, was noch kommt.
Ja, mit den Tipps und Tricks groove ich mich so langsam hier ein, wie mit der Mundharmonika.
Ich wünsche dir einen schönen Restsonntag und schön, dass du schon so lange in Deutschland lebst. Herzliche Grüße Astrid

1 Like

Dank Astrid. :sunglasses:

– Slim

1 Like

Hi, I’m Sheldon. I have a few harps that have been “collecting dust” and waiting for the right time to be played properly….that time is NOW. Started the BEGINNER to BOSS course recently and am really enjoying both the lessons and playing. I’m looking forward to this new journey!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @mmusicman98, and great to hear that you started the BEGINNER to BOSS program!

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

Hello, I’m John from Arizona, 57 years old and a brand new harmonica student. Thanks much for the three free lessons, Luke! I’m working to get those fundamentals down pat and then I’m going to delve into the Beginner to Boss course. Having a great time so far.

2 Likes

Hey Astrid - happy to have you here on the forum. Welcome! I’m glad the harmonica course is helping with your English as well as your harmonica playing - maybe soon you’ll be writing posts in English too! :wink:

Aloha from Hawaii,
Luke

1 Like

Oh dear, @Luke, better not … :joy: I think we understand each other thanks to the translation, very well ?! : thinking:
I would have to invest so much time in English that I would miss for my harmonica. You don’t really want THAT, do you? : wink:
Aloha back to you, Astrid

2 Likes

Hi there, here is Pietro from Switzerland. Bottom line upfront: harp is great :laughing:. For more details about how I came to this bold statement, please read below!

Always wanted to play harmonica and bought one thirty years ago when I was ten. Got pretty depressed because the book which came with the instrument was teaching lip blocking at page 2. Then I went for violin, which I kept playing at intermediate level for years, until school, work, kids, and all the adulthood stuff kicked in. After turning fourty, I decided I needed a new hobby. Thought about undusting my violin, but chose the most funny and portable instrument in the world (maybe besides the kazoo…). Started looking for good instructional videos on youtube, landed on JP Allen, found Luke suggesting the Beginner to Boss course, subscribed to it one month ago… and now I am here! @Luke thank you for all the efforts you have put to create such a good course and the entertaining, funny, and yet clever and precise way you have for teaching!

4 Likes

No we don’t want THAT! Keep writing in German and spending all your free time PLAYING HARMONICA! :wink:

Rock on,
Luke

2 Likes

Right on @p.alfarano! Welcome to the forum. Happy to have you here. Thank you for your kind words. Glad you are enjoying the course. Thanks for sharing your history of how you got to today. Looking forward to hearing more from you in the future.

Rock on,
Luke

3 Likes

Hey @Luke, ich schon wieder… :grin:
Du magst Bach, den großartigen Johann Sebastian? Weißt Du, wo er geboren ist? In der gleichen Stadt in Thüringen wie ich. Nur gut 300 Jahre früher.
Aloha von Astrid

Hi Everyone

I am Adrian, from the UK. I live in the wild and rainy Welsh mountains.

I bought Happy Harpin when it was first released on DVD a decade or so ago. dabbled, then forgot about it. Recently found it, and decided to dedicate myself to learning harmonica. So far its going well, and I am enjoying it. Completed the DVDs, and have moved onto learning tongue blocking and that’s going really well after just a week.

I play some guitar, some bass, some Irish whistle, some bodhran, a little violin, even dabbled with banjo. But harmonica is the first time I have decided to ‘master’ something…watch this space.

Found out yesterday that my partner is pregnant. The baby is due June 6th. So by then I want to be pretty good, to play to the baby. :grinning:

3 Likes

@HorseDoctor Congratulations for the baby! If you are going to play for him/her, buy some low register harmonica :rofl:, Lee Oskar makes them and they plan an octave lower…

2 Likes

Good idea ! I don’t want to make him/her cry ! :rofl:

Hallo Adrian, auch von mir herzlichen Glückwunsch und alles gute für euch.
Beste Grüße Astrid

1 Like

Congratulations from me as well !! I also agree with @p.alfarano: lower tuned harps are most likely the best for what you wish to achieve. Check out the Seydel offerings for low harps (they make the lowest tuned harp in the world!).

Regards,
– Slim

1 Like

Good evening from London, England. Hello. First off I’d like to thank Luke for kicking off my intro to learning to play my brand new you Lee Oscar, major diatonic harmonica. Not only just thank that give out a huge wow! You made it such fun and I’m only on the first three lessons.
The other night I was just climbing into bed I thought I want to learn to play harmonica. I googled what’s a good harmonicas to buy. That was the first encounter I had with Luke as however or where that website is he was the one that spoke about the various ones, giving a bit of insight into the tonal values and preferences. Well my earlier mentioned harmonica is the one I settled on. It arrived and quite frankly I dived into them first three free lessons that came free via email. Awesome, I loved the. Now I’m going to spend tomorrow drumming those foundational nuggets into the grey matter. I maybe wrong but once they become second nature then I’ll might be on my way to playing like a boss. So excited, and a heartfelt thanks again Luke.

5 Likes