Share your favorite harmonica songs!

Another great Bruce Springsteen performance. Thunder Road from the Hammersmith Odeon concert in 1975 starts and finishes with a harmonica solo and it was the show’s opening song. Just gives me chills every time I hear it and I’ve heard it lots of times!
(8) Thunder Road (Live at the Hammersmith Odeon, London '75) - YouTube

4 Likes

What song comes to mind when you hear this phrase in a Southern drawl:

“What song is it you wanna hear?”

I think right away about

FREEBIRD

Look at this little gem I found :point_down:

(7) ENTIRE FREEBIRD SOLO PLAYED ON HARMONICA!!! (Lynyrd Skynyrd) - YouTube

I don’t think I’m quite ready for prime time at that level, yet. That guy is incredible!!

But I have started to tackle the melody…

We could have a team effort here. Maybe one of us plays the introduction, one the melody, and one the guitar solo…

Count me in for the melody :sunglasses:

Any takers on the intro and solo?

3 Likes

@HarpinBobbyMcB no thanks, maybe in the next life when I start learning the harp when I’m six. :grin:
I’m absolutely optimistic, but realistic here, because it would be a miracle to create it.

I had thought of something else. Since we now like to upload our own videos. Wouldn’t it make sense to create a new sub-item in the main menu for this?
So everyone sets theirs one by one and they eventually perish. @Luke, what do you think of that?

4 Likes

@AstridHandbikebee63 this was my idea with the thread: What Song are you Working on.

We can use that thread which is already started or another as people prefer.

I also think it makes sense to have our songs in one thread. The songs of other people on harmonica fit perfect in this thread here :+1:

4 Likes

For me that would be ok. I just didn’t want to be rude and put mine under yours! For me it has something to do with respect for others and for your performance! It should be a cooperation and not a competition.
I’m afraid it will become confusing over time?

3 Likes

Hey @HarpinBobbyMcB you’ll need a WildeTuned harp to pull that off!

BTW - @AstridHandbikebee63 whereas my Pentaharp has not made it into any of my jam sessions, gigs, or recording sessions. My WildeTuned harp definitely has!

I’m not worried about anything on this forum turning into a competition. **This site is all about support,not competition!(Although we all get attacked by the green monster of jealousy from time to time! :wink:)

4 Likes

Hello @Luke,
Thanks for the clarification, that’s perfectly fine!

The 1847 in G Wilde Tuning is really fat bread. She has exactly that snotty sound that I have noticed from other artists and I always wonder where it comes from. Of course, the player must also have the appropriate skills… Today I actually took a closer look at the difference between the good Richter tuning and the cheeky Wilde tuning, really amazing!

5 Likes
7 Likes

Oh boy. Great track. Good track. I’m dancing, dogs singing. I’ve saved it to my play list for Friday nights.

5 Likes

@Jack_9211, oh yes, is very good!

4 Likes

Not sure how good his playing is. Sounds amazing to me. He’s certainly in the zone.
Hope this summer brings more live concerts back.

7 Likes

Blue Shaddy is a great live band. I first saw them on a ‘blues cruise’ out of Sydney. “Belly” McClelland is certainly one of the most energetic harp players I’ve ever seen!

4 Likes

I’ve been hooked on

I’d like to know which key and position it’s played in, I’m thinking I’ll try to start by the guitar, from what work out the scale :laughing:

I like the dynamic between the voice, guitar and harmonica.

Also, he’s french so :rooster: ! :fr:

5 Likes

Hi Leo @LeoJ

Use your C harp and play it in third position (to get the D minor pentatonic scale): D F G A C

-1 -2" -2 -3" +4 -4 is the lower octave and

-4 -5 +6 -6 +7 -8 is the upper octave which continues on up with

-8 -9 +9 -10 +10

You can add in the blues scale notes to add color: -3’’’ and -6’

Also on the low end, of course, +1 is the flat 7. Additional emotion can be added using -1’ and -4’

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Cheers!!

3 Likes

Here’s the song that got me interested in harmonica - a long time ago! Th film clip is in black & white because it pre-dates colour TV in Australia. 1972 I think

Key of D, so a G harp in 2nd position does the job. Solos are a bit quick and take some getting used to, and the transition from harmonica to vocal and back again need to be ‘managed’.

Good fun!

See if this one works

Maybe this one:

5 Likes

Got it now. I love this song. I can remember when I first heard it. My father didn’t approve of the group but I can’t remember why.

3 Likes

Hello @Maka,
That’s good and not too fast. You only learn the transitions for speed through many repetitions. A lot means a lot if you’re not playing professionally yet.
Regards Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

1 Like