Show us Your Harps, Mics, & Amps!

I see congas and bongos by Meinl and LP. Me too!

3 Likes

Fantastic kit!

2 Likes

@BnT what do you think òf the Zajac combs any good?

1 Like

Dai,

Yes, I think they’re good. I exclusively play Suzuki Manji’s . They come with a nice quality resin material comb - good sound, no swelling, etc. I experimented with a couple of the Zajac combs and over time converted most of the 19 harps in my case to them. I like the finish, fit (reed plates), colours, and quality. I don’t know that they sound better or different than Suzuki resin combs, but sound being equal, they have other pluses. Worth trying one if they’re in the budget.

3 Likes

I have some pro master reed plated on my blues masters might try a Zajac comb I think the cover plates will be ok.

1 Like

Hey Bnt, did you get my address

Did it arrive today?

1 Like

Yes it did and I liked the whole thing from beginning to end. You must have a really nice studio, sounds pretty sharp. Quite impressive all the way around, the songs, the playing, the production, this would’ve been fantastic at my last house where I had a very busy pool table. Thanks very much!

1 Like

Here’s the CD. I highly recommend.

3 Likes

My pleasure. Glad you like it. Fortunately, I had some very nice friends willing to participate. (Nobody ever asked about money, but they were each fairly paid, unlike some people who think “friends” should work for free. Like the Cab Calloway song, “Everybody Eats When They Come to My House “) As noted in the booklet, no rehearsals, six songs in one take and six only existed in my mind - I had never tried them. So, it all worked out well. I was fortunate to have those guys.

3 Likes

I have the fender 20 champion, I like it but wish I was better at figuring out how to get that Chicago Blues raw sound.

2 Likes

What kind of microphone are you using?

2 Likes

@bubby.graves a distorted mic like the bulletin would help. I take it that this is not a tube amp. Good price though. I’d be interested in your question because of possible I might get one of these at these prices.

1 Like

@bubby.graves here is a video to give you an idea if this is what you are looking for.

These are the amp settings for the second video:
Thanks for listening! I’m not sure what the exact settings were on this clip, but I always use the Bassman voicing, typically with the treble set low and the bass set high; probably gain on 4 or 5; some reverb to taste; and volume as loud as I can before feedback. Hope this helps!

I find the Bassman voicing to be the best for harp with my bullet mics. Try lower gain for a cleaner sound and more gain for a more distorted tone. Thanks for listening!

First video settings:
Thanks for listening! While I’m not sure what my exact settings were in this clip, I just now checked the settings I used last time I played my Champion 20 with a JT-30 with a CM element, and they were as follows: gain = 3; vol = 5; voice = Bassman; treble = 1; bass = 9; fx level = 2; fx select = reverb+ch. Hope this helps! How do you like your Harp Blaster? I hope I can try one sometime.

4 Likes

WOW @KeefDeBluesHarpRobot that’s an amazing assortment of mics!! Nice percussion setup as well!

2 Likes

I have something similar. It was my father’s and I assumed he bought it in Germany when he was in the Korian War around 1951.

4 Likes

Since this looks like an open call, here are mines which can be yours as well.

Over the last couple of years I have been trying to develop the sound of the harmonica from metallic sounding to something deeper with stronger emphasis on the harmonics.
I made basically 3 diatonics and 3 chromatics which supposed to be a staring point for people who look for different sound and feel. Especially the chromatic “Subwoofer” (the enlarged body in yellowish Cherry wood) has the bottom harmonics pronounced well. Well they all sound pretty good, The bigger the better.
Here are some. If you want to see more info check out the full presentation on https://acoustictendencies.com/

Sure do not hesitate to tell me what you think, whatever that is.

4 Likes

Hi @2046

Those look very beautiful !! Excellent woodwork and I’m sure they have an outstanding sound. Brodour makes excellent harps with various wood and other materials for the “body/covers” but they are still out of my price range. Maybe someday … :thinking:

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

@2046 welcome to the forum and THANK YOU SO MUCH for being here! GORGEOUS! Yes, you’ve got my attention. I’d like to try one for sure!

I’m a diatonic guy, so I’ll probably go with Lips? Or what do you recommend? Is there a difference in tone between cherry and walnut, or just looks?

This is cooooool. I’m curious…

2 Likes

Hi Luke
There are 3 types right now.
The Lips is for those who just want their harmonica in wood and like it to be small as is. The tonal difference is there, the tones are bit more rounded and definitely more focused. What I mean by focused is what you imagine if you think of picture of grass, If you shot it bit out of focus it the straws will blend into one another a bit. That is how the harmonica with metal covers sounds in general. In comparison the wood covers sharpens the image and the straws/tones are bit more distinguishable.
The tonal change is really slight, as there is not enough resonant material. The tones has not that support as like in “Mouth” or “Open mouth” case for example.
It is all about acoustic you cannot make big sound with a small speaker as like you cannot invoke a resonance in a small box, you need room for that.

And so the “Mouth” has bigger resonant room. It like if you cup the harmonica but this time you do not modulate the sound (do not cut out the high frequencies) but you simply give the harp bigger sound as you have the extra room the sound can build and resonate before it leaves the harmonica space. The Mouth has two extra “teeth” which as you have guessed makes it more durable. And so mouth is for those who are not afraid to get something new and know they do not treat their harmonica lightly.
The “Open mouth” does not have teeth, but that does not make it week either as the rear end is strengthen inside and can withstand a lot. If you step on it hard it might not survive, the teeth would be handy in that case .) The tonal focus I have mentioned on the beginning in “Lips” case is the same here too (I would not say it is stronger then on “Lips” which is interesting).
If we talk about the sound only I would say Mouth is the best of all of them. Again it is acoustic and by that regard the frequency that can get thru corresponds to the size of the biggest hole (Mouth has actually 3 holes if you think about it). And as there are no teeth and the mouth is open you get bigger sound. Plus I kinda feel like the room I have designed in the “Open mouth” resonates the best… plus you get bigger/longer sustain.
Keep in mind that the changes that I talk about here are subtle but are there.
I personally prefer the “Open mouth” the most. as it delivers best sound, yes it is bigger and so it might not fit to your jeans where it used to but it also has that sounds you might prefer better and not be able to get otherwise, so …
The size does not change the grip all that much. You can hold it close to the mouth or give your self a relieve and hold it lightly this time and you can also put it deeper in to your mouth and try what this sound like.
Plus I do make also the wooden combs, which are quite unique in its design. Not like they are unique to the comb design it self, but they are unique between wooden comb designs as they are not just open comb as everybody else makes them, but it is properly closed all around and has extra little bits that makes it airtight as you are used to from the plastic design. It is bit more elaborate to make them as they are not made in one stroke on CNC but need to be machined 3 times. Well. If that is what it needs to be the best, be it.

update:
I make them from two wood species Walnut and Cherry. Believe or not Cherry sounds better.

2 Likes